Best "earbuds"??
Jan 29, 2003 at 4:16 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Daijoubu
The 888 are earphones, not buds (like the EX70)

I believe the E888s would be classified as earbuds. They are NOT like the EX70s.
To my ears, I like them better than the Senn MX500. But they cost about 4X as much. Many here prefer the MX500. It's all about what your ears prefer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2003 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 25
In my opinion, the Sony MDR-E888LP is the best open-air earbud that I own (or have owned) - sound-wise. But it isn't worth anywhere near 8 times as much as what I paid today for a pair of the Sennheiser MX400's. (The MX400's are an impulse buy, while I shopped for CDs at a Virgin Megastore in Chicago.) Honestly, I've heard practically no difference between the MX400's (which were on sale for $10.00) and the MX500's, which cost $17.99. I wouldn't pay even an extra $1.00 for the added volume control on the MX500's.

Jan 29, 2003 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 25
Under $100...MX500's. WELL under $100 and they always seem to satisfy.

Jan 29, 2003 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Daijoubu
I'm thinking earbuds = closed and earphones = open
biggrin.gif

Ah well slighty confused between eggos, cans, headphones, earphones, earbuds, etc...
redface.gif
confused.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

well, these are the definitions i go by:

earbuds = open, fit inside ear, but do not go into the ear canal. examples include the 888 and the mx400/500

canalphones = closed or semi-closed, fit inside the actual ear canal. examples include etymotic er6, er4, and ex70

earphones = generic term for anything that fits in ear (or i have even seen headphones referred to as earphones) and produces sound

*oh, and i have not heard the 888, but the mx500's are definitely the best earbuds i have ever heard. it took me a little to warm up to them, but now they are indispensable. of course, i still prefer the ksc-35 (earclips), but the mx500's are just that much more portable (and i don't worry about them like i do the hard to find ksc-35's).

Jan 29, 2003 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 25
I'm very paranoid with my KSC-35s now. If they weren't so hard to find now, I would not have bought the mx500s. But after i stuck them huge radioshack foamies on the senns, they fit much better and it rounds the mids and highs so much. I find them a little bass shy, but i can live with that.

Jan 29, 2003 at 6:45 AM Post #9 of 25
mx500s are a pretty nice sounding pair of earbuds. They are too big for my ears and tend to slip off if I don't use foamies. At the price they compare very favourably against E888s and for many musics i preferred MX500. I think MX500 has better bass and more enjoyable in rocks... on the other hand, the beautiful, if slightly forward vocals on E888s are simply gorgeous. In some songs I prefer them to ER4Ps but only in a quiet environment as they don't isolate very well. On my ears MX500 isolate even worse than E888s.

One thing I've heard and actually experienced personally is that E888s become very mid-rangy and lose their treble clarity over the years when used at a high volume level...

Jan 29, 2003 at 7:50 AM Post #10 of 25
http://shinwoo.com/shinwoo-english/product/product3.htm

I don't know if it really relates to this thread.. but check out the latest earphones from the company called "Cresyn" a korean company whose products you've probably seen or used. If you scroll down the page, you'll see some "AXE" and "MANIA" series which were bundled with Rio, etc.

The surprising thing is that they've just released a new product (which is located on top of that page) named E700 and claim it's comparable to E888s. They included a cool carrying case with the 'phones and charge $50 for a pair. That's a bold move by a company known for cheap OEM earphones. I wonder if that new model is really that good and if it'll ever make it to North America. It's been kinda boring for earphone lovers as the selection has been pretty limited nowadays.

Jan 29, 2003 at 8:06 AM Post #11 of 25
Hi,
I would say that Sony MDR-E484 is the best earbud ever, but since it was continued 10 years ago, Sony MDR-E888 is the best available. I used to try out the MX500 and agreed that it sounds quite nice. However, I feel that E888 has better image, and better clarity. E888 produces a very liquid midrange as well.
You should also check your source, b/c if you have a weak source...E888 will sound thin.

You should be able to find the E888 for around 50 dollars in www.shopping.yahoo.com

The MX500 is however a true bargain given its price and performance, but the fits and finishs is a not as good.

Jan 29, 2003 at 8:27 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
You should also check your source, b/c if you have a weak source...E888 will sound thin.

And not all weak sources are equally crappy, IMHO; in fact, among 'weak' portables, MD portable gear sounds better than most CD portables. And my E888LP's don't sound as thin on my MD gear than they do on my PCDPs.

Jan 29, 2003 at 10:48 AM Post #13 of 25
Hi rexss345!

Never heard the 888, I can recommend MX400/500 (if you want volume control) to you. They have neutral, balanced and lively sound. Almost anything sounds good on them.

Also have Panasonic Rp-HV600, top of the line "High end insertphones" called by Panasonic. Treble are a bit better on MX400, bass is too thin on HV600. But they have beautiful midrange and detail. Soundstage is (for buds) very wide, much better than on MX400. They have definitely laid-back presentation, with bass light, inobtrusive sound.

Moonwalker

Jan 29, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #14 of 25
The predecessors to the RP-HV600 by Technics in 1988 (same company as Panasonic)...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Technics-RP-HV50.JPG

Jan 29, 2003 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 25
Sony MDR-E248... (NOT the groove 'phones, but a very much older one... a predecessor to the MDR-E484)

Totally classy in both looks, and sound... but sadly long since vanished (I lost them
eek.gif
)

After that, My MDR-A22L Vites... which have MDR-E484 drivers.. or, if you like a nice mellow sound from earbuds, MDR-E747...

Each of those beat the Senn MX400 / MX500... but then again, the Senns are the only ones you can buy these days
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back