Best earbuds for snowboarding?
Dec 18, 2007 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sghama

New Head-Fier
Hey all - looking to get a new pair of earbuds for snowboarding. I have the UM-1 from Westone which is great, but I want to get able to hear what's going on around me so those are a no go. Have tried using the stock ipod earbuds, but those get uncomfortable after a while (especially because my beanie presses them against my ears), and I also prefer something that sounds better. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced (i.e. low cost) pair of earbuds that would work well? My criteria:

- Allows me to hear surrounding noises
- Comfortable even when pressed against your ear for hours
- Sound quality comparable to Sennheiser PX100 or Koss PortaPro (doesn't need to be Grado quality since I'm not usually concentrating on the music anyway)
- Earbuds (not headphones since those won't fit under a helmet)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 11
Since you have the Westone UM-1, you seem to be familiar with canalphones or in-ear-monitors.

You could try an open canalphone such as the Sony EX90. You're still able to hear what's going on (indeed very "handy" when snowboarding
wink.gif
), the SQ is quite good, much better than the stock buds, they're quite comfortable (depends on your auditory canal, of course).

I don't know whether they fit in your budget. I don't know where you come from and how much you have to spend for a pair of EX90.

Best regards,
sai-bot

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the suggestion. How does the Sony EX90 compare to the EX71? I have those and I can't stand the sound - boomy base, artificially sounding highs, and no midrange. I'm in the US right now and looking for something under $50 if possible, but can go higher if it's worth it.

Dec 18, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 11
tried cx300 and mylarone x3 last saturday.
mylarone blocked the most of outside sound/noise, and i thought it was not safe.
for me, cx300 was a better choice for skiing. also, it's cheap as hell so you wont cry much if you mess it up.

Dec 18, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sghama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestion. How does the Sony EX90 compare to the EX71? I have those and I can't stand the sound - boomy base, artificially sounding highs, and no midrange.

The EX90 are different: less boomy bass (yet still enough of it), midrange better, warm-sounding.
It also seems like Sony improved the quality of the headphones, I heard of no broken cables and stuff like that.

The CX300 you mentioned is a closed canalphone. It still has to much isolation IMHO. MX400 are OK, they're earbuds which means they do not isolate, but most of the earbuds I know lack bass quality and quantity.

I'll stick to my previous suggestion
wink.gif
Give them a try, they're totally different from the EX71.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 11
I got a Limar ski helmet with speakers built into the earpieces and a cable that plugs into it and to an Ipod or other device. It has adjustable air vents and is very light. Since I know I won't pay that much attention to music on the slopes, I was not concerned about quality. It is a good idea to wear a helmet anyway!

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 11
My criteria:

- Allows me to hear surrounding noises

[/QUOTE]

Since you are already aware of this anyway, I'm going to suggest not wearing headphones at all unless while on the lift or in line. Sorry for not answering your question directly.

Dec 18, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 11
Headphone can be dangerous, but it's part of the fun. It sucks to ride without good music playing. I worked in a resort last season and used to be one of the last guys in the montain. So, for my uncrowded last run, i'd love my Shure E2c. I used to put it on high volume, but only because i was sure no one was gonna be around me. For an usual ride, i use ipod stock earbud. It sucks, but i don't have a better earbud and can't use headphone because of the helmet too.
If you can stretch you budget a bit, for $79 (maybe a bit less if you get an used one on the FS forum) the Yuin PK2 might be a good choice. Never heard it, but based on reading, it seems to be a good earbud. It's open, so you won't have problems with hearing those around you ...

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks guys. I spent a couple hours looking into your suggestions and it looks like it'll be between the EX90 and the PK2/3. Leaning towards the PK3 now mostly because of cost and the fact that it's an open earbud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back