best earbuds????few days to decide
Sep 17, 2005 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

taran

100+ Head-Fier
well i know the best will most probably be audio technica ath-cm7(ti's), but the price tag dont appeal to me.

ive owned a a pair of mx550's and thats it.

i know theres the sony e888's which from what ive read will sound better but have less than acceptable build quality. my mx550's ended up breaking 6 months after buying so the e888's will probably break in a day with me. i think its that black rubber they use. its all soft an stuff.

anyway moving on.

ive seen the other audio technica, cresyns and whatever else they are branded under namely the cm3's (which i believe come standard with some dap's such as creatives). wouldnt that mean they are erm not good?

then theres the cm5's or cresyn e700's which i cant seem to find in stock anyway. would they be better than my mx550's?

basically i just want something which aint ott like the cm7's, but are better than the mx550's, without looking like this
600smile.gif

im going to be heading off to uni next week so i want to buy a pair before i go.

worse comes to worse i may have to buy another pair of 550's.

oh and i dont want to deal with in ear's becuase im going to be getting e4's in like november. i just need something for between then but also which can be used when i get the e4's as i wont always be using the e4's, depending on whats the situation e.g if im on the train ill put on my e4's but if im just popping to the shops i want some earbuds which will be easier to use than the e4's.

oh and if the e4's dont suit me, im going to sell and just buy the cm7's just because i want to see why the heavty price tag is placed on it.

Sep 18, 2005 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 17
i was looking at the ath-cm3's but i noticed they came with some creative products. theres that notion that headphones that come with players arnt particularly good which is why i still may go for the mx550's over the cm3's.

the ep880's are the creative branded ones and the cm5's are the audio technica branded ones and the cresyn ones are called e700's. they are all the same arebuds but im in the uk and havent really had any luck finding a seller.

ive been looking at audiocubes website and they seem to have a good selection of headphones. half of which you cant get her in the uk.

i really cant think what my pricerange is. ive tried to look for earbuds which have the price range of the mx550, around £21 ($37). but no other earbuds in the uk have that sort of price range. the next best thing here is the sony ex71's which i dont want.

grrrrrrr. cambridge soundworks dont deliver to the uk like some ohter stores.

i dont think theres any hope.

i dont think people dont reply because im chatting about minor earbuds when this forum mainly about audiophileness. its their fault im going to get a pair of e4 in a while.lol.

if anyone else has any shops which stock the cm7's, e700's or ep880's il be greatful if you can link me.

Sep 18, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by taran
i dont think theres any hope.

i dont think people dont reply because im chatting about minor earbuds when this forum mainly about audiophileness. its their fault im going to get a pair of e4 in a while.lol.

Hope is KSC75/35 or PX100 but then they don't fit your criteria
icon10.gif

Minor earbuds and audiophileness
rolleyes.gif

There is continually good conversation on sub $50 and $100 options.

Try the forum search feature while your waiting on your thread.

Good Luck!

Sep 18, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 17
J and R has the PX100 for $39.99 plus shipping. If you sweet talk to a sales rep, you can get free shipping.

I was in the same boat, looking for a pair of good earbuds. But ended up ended up purchasing the PX100. The larger driver does make a difference.

Sep 18, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 17
thanks for the suggestions but im purely sticking with the earbud style. i presonally dont like the over the ear types of headphones. obviously its about the sound but im no audiophile. i just like when music sounds good.

ive read a few convos already but they seem to be directing people towards the px100 or koss type of headphones which i dont want.

theres not much talk about earbuds which is what im after.

like ive said i beleive the e888's will sound good but also feel as though they will break quickly.

im sort of leaning towards the cm5's but im still not sure.

the only earbuds above the $50 pricerange would be the a8's and the cm7's which have a heafty pricetag.

so far from searching i beleive these are my only options-

sennheiser mx550
sennheiser mx450
audio technica ath-cm5, cresyn e700, creative ep-880 (all the same buds)
audio technica ath-cm3
sony mdr-e880

i think thats all of them which would be worth a look at for the earbud range wont they?

but yea im looking purely for earbuds.

Sep 18, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 17
People might not reply because this question is asked about every week (just look with the search function and you'll find tons of threads). I think it's an important question. $50 dollars for the EP-888 (these are just bullet proof in construction) will be some of the best money spent for buds..

Typically bundled phones with players are not good. There are always expections. The best way to judge is to compared a given phone itself against others (via hearing them or the reviews). If you're not committed to earbuds and would entertain other things, then do a search for the Koss ksc-75 (or 35) - truly some of the best dollar for dollar (pound for pound
tongue.gif
) buys around.

Sep 18, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 17
In cheap ear buds, my daughter perfers the Sennheiser mx500,
my son prefers the AKG K-14-P. The AKG have a little more bass than
the mx500, but, is a little less clear in the upper midrange. Neither one is great, both are OK, and cost around $20US. Neither liked the koss k35, too hard to put on their ears, and, bass is kindoff boomy. Neither has heard the mx450/550 yet, but from what I read here they have the least bass of all the above, but, a little better treble. I haven't spent much time with any of the above, they are all OK but non really stands out as a clear winner. Even at that price point alot depends on personal preference. All are better than what came with her ipod, and his panasonic portable cd player.
I've found the mx500 last alot - ALOT - longer if you put a drop of CA glue along the seam where the enclosure halfs join.

Sep 18, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinz
I know! These people only reply to people with 100+ posts! They're racist!

What kind of price range do you have? Maybe I can help...

Thats true! Any way I would go with the Shure E3c, Shure E2c, or the Etymotics ER6

Sep 18, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #14 of 17
The Audio-technica EC7 buds would be my choice since the other AT buds can sound unimpressive because they don't fit/stay in well. The stick style(even the titanium) are heavy so you might have a problem with keeping a good fit or even keeping them from falling out. Thus the sound will suffer.

I grabbed a used pair of cm-5's off ebay for $5.70. A great deal but try and try, I could not get them to fit right. I tried everything. Only the really thick foamies helped to keep a good fit. They sounded bad(dull) with those foamies. Now if I would hold them in place they were absolutely lovely sounding. But I got tired of trying and gave them to a friend.

The EC7 with no stick and the thin clip will keep them pressed close for the right sound. They are also $20 cheaper than the cm-7's at warehouse123.com. I also think they are more durable and better sounding than the E888's(cheaper in the long run).

Read the reviews at audiocubes.com. They are all quite positive.

If your like most of us something as good as E4's will ruin the senns or any other inexpensive earbuds and you'll only be happy with high end(888 and up) stuff!

Sep 18, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #15 of 17
Sennheiser: Yea, they're sony earbuds
http://headphonereviews.org/headphon...eadphoneId=117

taran: since you are getting e4's in two months i would just get another pair of mx450/550's... they don't seem as likely to break as the e888's. also they are pretty cheap. otherwise, if you think the sound of the e888's (which i heard are very good, and can be modded)
are worth it, even though they might break, then buy those. i think they have like a 3 month warranty or something.

well, just decide for yourself...
confused.gif

edit: btw, this thread is also discussing most of the earbuds here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back