BEST EARBUD? BOSE IN EAR, SENNHEISER MX-90, AUDIO-TECHNICATH-CM700ti, or YUIN PK1
Nov 5, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #16 of 44
The Bose don't seal so, yes, they're earbuds not IEMs. In my limited experience they have very good sound quality, so keep them on the list. As I said when reviewing the IEs on another thread, the B&O earbuds are not as good for SQ but are extremely comfortable, so you might want to consider them as well. Either are good choices ... I can't comment on the others in your list.

Nov 5, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel
The Bose don't seal so, yes, they're earbuds not IEMs. In my limited experience they have very good sound quality, so keep them on the list. As I said when reviewing the IEs on another thread, the B&O earbuds are not as good for SQ but are extremely comfortable, so you might want to consider them as well. Either are good choices ... I can't comment on the others in your list.

The definition of an in-ear monitor is dependent upon their entering the ear canal, as far as I know; not their seal. I mean heck, earbuds are often closed back, so if we based it on that, many of them would be 'IEMs.'

Nov 5, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #18 of 44
I have a pair of MX550's and they're the best sounding earbuds I've heard, although granted that my experience with earbuds is rather limited, so that's not saying much. I do want to mention that the MX550 are a little too big for my ears and doesn't fit well vis a vi the ibuds though (I think it's the foam). I find the E2Cs too bulky as well for me.

Nov 5, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #19 of 44
Is their a difference between in canal and IEM?

I don't want anything to stick inside my ear canals. But if it has a little extra tip that stays in the outside, then this would be fine I guess.

Regarding the BOSE IE, it looks like it isolates better than regular earbuds, but less than IEM, is this true?

I can't believe there is no company invested in high-end earbud!!

Nov 5, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
The definition of an in-ear monitor is dependent upon their entering the ear canal, as far as I know; not their seal. I mean heck, earbuds are often closed back, so if we based it on that, many of them would be 'IEMs.'

Well, I'm a newbie to this terminology, but while the Bose partially insert into the ear canal, the instructions specifically tell you not to insert them until they seal, which seems contrary to the noise-isolation/bass reinforcement logic of the most popular IEMs. I've read people referring to them as buds on these forums, and the seal that I was speaking of was a seal to the canal rather than whether or not the drivers were sealed by closed back design.

Nov 5, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by swagga
Well I haven't tried the PK's or the AT's. But as far as the senns and the bose are concerned, The $25 MX-500's had a fuller sound than the Bose IE, regardless of the fact that the Bose had a lot more bass, because the Bose has no high-end extension, and the MX-500 have decent highs for an earbud. (I A-B'd them at the Bose Store) They are a good all-around earbud and will sound good will all music.
However if you listen to a lot of jazz, classical or any other music where detail is important, then the MX90s are the best at $79. They have a sound signature similar to the HD-595, although on a smaller scale and the detail rivals many IEMs. If you get a chance to listen to these, definitely check them out!
But my favorite all around earbud is the B&O A8. Very pricey at $160 but the combination of great detail and good bass in proportion to their size makes them good for any music. The MX-90s have better high-end detail, but are more reserved in the low end making them not the best choice for modern music (Hip Hop, Dance). But for jazz and classical the detail and soundstage cannot be beat in a earphone this size. They are like a concert on your ears!

You can find the MX500's for 11 or 12 bucks at amazon nowadays. I like them but find that they just don't have the bass response. I also find them a bit too big, but then again I really LIKE the volume control on them, and most people hate it. hehe.

Nov 6, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #22 of 44
The audio technica CM7Ti are bass heavy if used with thick foamies, i just did that foamie mod on the earphone pad. That's balanced the sound up. You get the detail and nice highs of the CM7Ti, but with a significantly stronger bass presence.

Nov 6, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolos

I can't believe there is no company invested in high-end earbud!!

I can; clip-ons and "regular" supraaural headphones have a huge inherent advantage in driver size sonically speaking, and earbuds don't even really isolate. So their sole advantage is their size; for that, you might as well just get high end IEMs, which DO isolate. I mean, it'd be nice if there were more high end earbuds, just because it's nice when there's options, but I really don't think there is much of a market for them.

Quote:

Well, I'm a newbie to this terminology, but while the Bose partially insert into the ear canal, the instructions specifically tell you not to insert them until they seal, which seems contrary to the noise-isolation/bass reinforcement logic of the most popular IEMs. I've read people referring to them as buds on these forums, and the seal that I was speaking of was a seal to the canal rather than whether or not the drivers were sealed by closed back design.

Their design is very similar to the CX300 and such from every picture I've seen, except for their open backs. I guess you're right, though, it really wouldn't be fair to call them full on IEMs. However, I think they bear even less resemblance to traditional earbuds. All a bit moot, though; unless I get an opportunity to hear them, and they sound at least ten times better than any Bose product I've heard, I doubt I'll be referencing them enough for my categorization of them to matter.

Nov 6, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Unless I get an opportunity to hear them, and they sound at least ten times better than any Bose product I've heard, I doubt I'll be referencing them enough for my categorization of them to matter.

I don't feel confident enough about my listening judgement to stand up for the IEs, and I'm not emotionally enough invested in Bose to need to make the case, but I've been listening to the IEs for hours a day for a little over a week and burning them in at night. In my view, there's no question that they're good ... as for how good, that would depend on the listener I guess.

Nov 6, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #25 of 44
$140 for the PK1 is a major ripoff. The average chinese worker makes $100 a MONTH. You also have to ship the damn thing back to China for any repairs or if you're just plain unsatisfied. Plus, the PK1 *looks* like a $5 earbud. I would expect $140 earbuds from a Japanese company since they have to import everything.

Quote:

In fact I am a little confused regarding the BOSE IE - some call it not IEM and ear bud but it seems like an IEM to me!

If it looks, walks, quacks like a duck, it's a duck. The Bose IE feels like an earbud -- they pretty much sit inside your earlobes and they don't seal. I don't think it goes into the ear canal at all... it has silicone tube at the end that directs the sound into your ear canal, that's all.

As far as sound quality goes, they're good enough for me, but if prejudices against Bose prevents people from trying them out, well... it's their loss.

Nov 6, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #26 of 44
What about the quality? Let's forget the Chinese part for a second. Does the quality match any of the ATH products? If it does, I could appreciate the work done into it. In a post by Evisu, it says the store carries no warranty for PK earbuds!!

Nov 7, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #27 of 44
Cords broken is coverrd by waranty. HONGKONG dealer www.headphonehk.com is not authorized by YUIN and their PK earphones was not directly from us. We will not help them do any waranty and that is why their customer complaining. The post in HEADFI sponsor forum is by YUIN itself. We will do fast and convience waranty for sure.

BTW: To lolos and atx: Why not ask around and find out who made those ATHs and where they are?

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Nov 7, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
$140 for the PK1 is a major ripoff. The average chinese worker makes $100 a MONTH. You also have to ship the damn thing back to China for any repairs or if you're just plain unsatisfied. Plus, the PK1 *looks* like a $5 earbud. I would expect $140 earbuds from a Japanese company since they have to import everything.

Strange logic. Because a chinese worker makes $100 a month, you will not spend 140 for this earbud? If it is as good as or even better than other 140 earbud, it should worth this price. If you only pay 20, you are the one who rip other people off. Another, the PK1 is not a damn thing, rather a damn good thing.

Nov 7, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx

My bad, i guess i should send a complaint to apple because $300 for a product made in china is simply outrageous.. Hey, they workers only get $100 a month

Shures are made in china, some sennheisers, koss, parts of the computers you're on.

Nov 7, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai

BTW: To lolos and atx: Why not ask around and find out who made those ATHs and where they are?

Thanks Nankai for the info.

But as I said, I don't care if it is Chinese or Japanese. I only care about quality. Evisun said they don't offer warranty for PK products and that the cable stiffens after 3 months. Also, ATH earbuds are known for good quality. If I am mistaken, please feel free to share.

And it is interesting.. who makes ATH and where are they made? What is wrong with them? Do you have any problem with their quality?

Again, nothing personal... we want to make sure the hard earned money we spend are well spent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back