Best e/phone for ipod (replacing sony 888Lp's)
Mar 1, 2009 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dicy

New Head-Fier
Hi All

I know this is a question that you have all been asked a million times, but i am desperately trying to find a pair of phones to replace my lovely but broken Sony 888Lp's which are no longer available. I have just replaced my aging pod with a new classic.

I have been scouring these forums for days and just cannot seem to find a definitive list of recomendations. I have also found that a lot of the models talked about are not available in the UK (the Yuins for instance)

I bought a pair od Shure SE110's a few months ago and the sound is pretty good, but i find that every single movement from walking to breathing is amplified in my head - its driving me barmy - are all canal phones like this?

If not, i would consider canal phones and also buds, my budget is around £100 (pref less but would go higher for the right sound). I am not a big fan of bass - prefering a musical agile bass to a deep one. I also hate 'brightness' in sound, i prefer a smooth but detailed musical sound. I dont listen to dance at all.

If anyone could rec some phones which fit the bill, i'd be so grateful. These forums seem to have an excellent community spirit so hi think ive come to the right place.

Cheers

Rich
o2smile.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 14
probably yeah if even the SE110 and weared over the ear still gives you those microphonics then your pretty sensative to those, just put the volume up and enjoy the music to drone it out or shift your focus to music instead. They do have better seals as well. Only In-ear/Canal phones will give u those isolation from outside noise, but if you dont need it, buds can be great with no microphonics of course.

and welcome to head-fi :p sorry about your wallet.

Mar 1, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 14
I'm also a 888lp owner and I do think they are pretty good but they are starting to wear out so I ordered the new higher end earbud K 319 from AKG. It should arrive tomorrow. I don't know what to expect, but I expect it to beat the 888lp and I also think it'll rival the Yuin earbuds, but I haven't heard those though.

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also a 888lp owner and I do think they are pretty good but they are starting to wear out so I ordered the new higher end earbud K 319 from AKG. It should arrive tomorrow. I don't know what to expect, but I expect it to beat the 888lp and I also think it'll rival the Yuin earbuds, but I haven't heard those though.

not to hijack, but im really interested in how those AKGs sound. keep us updated.

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 14
I'm also very interested in the sound. In ears has gotten a lot of attention in the last years so it's good to see stuff like the Yuin's and AKG's new big line of earbuds..
I'll keep you updated, but probably in a seperate thread. I don't want to ruin dicy's thread.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for the repls so far guys. Please keep them coming.

I should clarify that i'm not looking particularly for a direct replacement for the 888lp's, just the best sounding phones for the description i gave.

cheers

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #8 of 14
Go for the Phonak's PFE if you want. From what I read its very balanced and detailed. Heritagehearing.co.uk sells these. They sent me an email:

Thank you for your enquiry

We do have the PFE headphones with the microphone in stock.

As these are a new product we have a introductory price of £100 plus £5.00 post & packing. this price is for our items that are in stock only.

Many thanks

Candy
Office Manager

If you want something similar with extra bass, go for the Sennheisers IE7. Play.com sells them for £120 (including p&p). And that is the cheapest you can get in the UK.

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #9 of 14
I happen to have a pair E888 in excellent condition which I hardly used when purchased 4/5 years ago because I found them uncomfortable at the time and so, they've been kept away ever since. If you're interested, send me a PM for details. I've recently sold 3 items on head-fi and have also 100% feedback on both eBay UK & Spain.

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 14
the case came in a color other than blue?

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #11 of 14
dicy,
The AKG K 319, allthough cheaper than 100 GBP could be it. I'm hoping they will be a real upgrade from the e888lp.
Otherwise maybe some Yuin earbuds could also be a solution.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #12 of 14
I would suggest the Phonaks as well, pricing is around 139....148 for two day shipping.

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the case came in a color other than blue?

I think the blue one was E888SP (short cord WITH extension) and mine E888LP (long cable NO extension). Mine were a gift purchased in Japan.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #14 of 14
mine is the LP too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back