Best DVD player for under 200 dollars?
Nov 12, 2002 at 7:33 PM Post #16 of 20
Oy... Divx...

This was Circuit City's attempt at cornering the DVD rental market. The stupid fools.

The original concept was that you'd buy a Divx disc and bring it home. The discs costed about $5 or so. They only played once, and you had to activate them through a Divx enabled DVD player, which would send some sort of signal and activate the thing. Then the disc was dead... or there may have been some way to reactivate it by paying more money. Very stupid and wasteful.

Once that died off around 1999 (the summer i worked at CC), Divx as a term came to be assosciated with a video compression format that would allow >Mpeg1 quality in <Mpeg1 size. This set off a revolution in movie/TV show trading (well, that stuff always existed, but the quality wasn't so great and the file sizes were too big).

So are the new players old Divx equipped (bleeh!) or new Divx equipped (super cool!) ?

Nov 14, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #17 of 20
hahahaha!

recephasan, PAGEFAULT and LobsterSan all write the same thing, not having read the prev. posts.

I 'm not posting this because I resent it. I'm drunk, in a good mood, and was entertained by the fact.

Post away!!!

Nov 14, 2002 at 8:07 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by recephasan
hahahaha!

recephasan, PAGEFAULT and LobsterSan all write the same thing, not having read the prev. posts.

I 'm not posting this because I resent it. I'm drunk, in a good mood, and was entertained by the fact.

Post away!!!

SCORE one point for recephasan, PAGEFAULT and LobsterSan!!

Nov 14, 2002 at 8:47 AM Post #19 of 20
GO TEAM DivX explainers!

I could have sworn those posts weren't there when I posted...
tongue.gif

DivX :wink: --> i never relaly understood why the winky face was always there... anybody know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back