Best DSLR Under $1500 (With Lens) For Image Quality Alone?
Jul 23, 2007 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 95

M0T0XGUY

Headphoneus Supremus
Let me start by acknowledging the number of times this sort of question has been asked in this forum, and the fact that this is not necessarily the right place for digital camera discussion, nor digital camera recommendations. With that said, however, I'm looking for something a leap ahead of my 3.2MP Canon Powershot point and shoot from 3 years ago, and a DSLR is an obvious upgrade. I can spend up to $1500 including a lens (which will most likely be of the wide angle variety), and the best-image-quality-for-the-price is really my only criteria; I don't particularly care about the amount of megapixels, the max ISO Sensitivity, the fastest shutter speed, or Image Stabilization, although the last would be a welcome addition. So what are my options for cameras in this price range, and what should I expect from each of them?

Jul 24, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 95
The Nikon D80 and Canon Rebel XTi both are very similar in image quality, features, and lens offerings so it actually doesn't matter too much which one you pick, just whichever feels better for you. As for lens, I only know Canon lenses so I can only recommend the 17-40L for wide or EF-S 10-22 if you want really wide. The Tamron 17-50 is another great lens if you want a faster f/2.8.

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 95
If you want better pictures your best bet would to take a photography class. When's the last time someone cooked you a really good meal and your first thought was, "wow, you must have really nice pots and pans!" The person behind the lens has a lot more to do with the quality of the image than the lens itself, especially in the range of gear that you're talking about getting into.

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 95
I thought the Rebels were pretty capable once. Then I realized that it was just overly sharpened right out of the camera. Heh.

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 95
The lens and the shooter determine the image quality more than the camera body.

The prime lens suggestion was absolutely true ten years ago, but today, for gemeral purpose shooting, start with a good 28-70 f2.8 lens - a GOOD ONE! If you can pick up a Nikkor model used, go for it. If not, i am vwry partial to Tokina pro models. I'm a Nikon shooter, so thats naturally what I would recommend.

The suggestion regarding the d80 is a good one. If you decide later that you need a body that has more metering abilities or faster frame rates, you can pick ip a d200 and keep the d80 as a backup.

Also, later you can concentrate on some fast primes. My current bag holds a pair of d200s, a tokina 10-17 fisheye, Nikkor 28-70f2.8, 80-200 af-s, 500f4 at-s, and various accessories. The lenses are the one thing I won't comprose
on.

Wow, I just glanced at my reply. Can you tell I typed it in a hurry on an iPhone? :-O Guess I need more preactice!

Jul 24, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 95
With a 1.5x crop camera, be aware that 30mm isn't very wide angle. It's actually a hair telephoto! Since you're new to SLRs, I'd recommend just picking the one that feels the best and has the features that you want. I'd side with a cheaper body so that you can get a decent lens....and you won't feel as much pain if you find you're not into photography.

FWIW, I find Tamrons are the sharpest of the less expensive lenses. Check out Steves Digicams to get a sense of the features of all the dSLRs:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

Jul 24, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the Rebels were pretty capable once. Then I realized that it was just overly sharpened right out of the camera. Heh.

hopefully the next thing you realized was that "silly me, im not shooting RAW!"

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #11 of 95
I would consider the pentax K10D, more bang for your buck imho. Then get a nice sharp lense and you're set. The great thing is that it has image stablilization built into the body, which isn't as good as the lens based systems, but it works for virtually all lenses so it will safe you a ton of money. A good lens choice might be the Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4, it's extremely sharp with a large aperature. You really wont be happy with one lense though, I have 4 already and am still looking at getting more. Buy at least two at first or at least a walk around zoom lense.

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #12 of 95
BTW Pentax has a really nice ultra wide zoom lense, the PENTAX DA 10-17mm f/3.5-4.54 ED. I love this lense and I use it quite often.

Jul 24, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #14 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With a 1.5x crop camera, be aware that 30mm isn't very wide angle. It's actually a hair telephoto! Since you're new to SLRs, I'd recommend just picking the one that feels the best and has the features that you want. I'd side with a cheaper body so that you can get a decent lens....and you won't feel as much pain if you find you're not into photography.

FWIW, I find Tamrons are the sharpest of the less expensive lenses. Check out Steves Digicams to get a sense of the features of all the dSLRs:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

On the Nikon 1.5x crop bodies, a 30mm would have the equivalent frame of view of a 45mm on 35mm film. On the Canon 1.6x crop bodies, 30mm would have the equivalent frame of view of a 48mm lens. Both of which are considered "normal" focal lengths for film.

I don't know much about Pentax since I've never shot with their bodies but per Canon vs Nikon, both are very good systems but if you'll primarily be shooting wideangle, the Nikon will give the slight edge since it's only a 1.5x crop FOV. This means that your wideangle lenses will have a slightly wider field of view on the Nikon bodies than on the Canons. Of course the ideal for wide-angle would be to have a full-frame, no crop body, like the 5D Dave has but unfortunately a 5D will run about double your budget for just the body alone!
tongue.gif

Anyways, back to Canon vs Nikon, I'm pretty much in the same situation as you right now and it really comes down to which camera feels best to you. Both the D80 and the 20D/30D (If you're thinking about the XT/XTi I would definitely feel one before you buy it because they are quite a bit smaller than the D80/20D/30D) are excellent cameras and are pretty comparable in terms of image quality and performance. The one problem with the D80, is that it uses the same 3D Matrix Metering II system as the D50 and on the D80 it tends to blow out the highlights. This can of course be compensated with some ev (Exposure value) compensation but I've heard occasionally it's a little bit of a hassle. The problem with Canon that I've gathered from my research and demoing is that their lower end glass isn't as good (Though their L glass is every bit as good as the pro Nikkor glass) as Nikon's and their body and user interface is a little less intuitive than the Nikon. Despite the Canon's faults though, I think if I were to start from scratch, I'd probably go with Canon. The Magnesium bodies feel much more weighted compared to the Nikons below the D200 and the excellent high ISO performance is a real gem to have in low light situations. Also with the ever increasing performance and reliability of third party lenses from companies like Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron, the lens issue isn't as big of a deal.

Jul 24, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #15 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want better pictures your best bet would to take a photography class. When's the last time someone cooked you a really good meal and your first thought was, "wow, you must have really nice pots and pans!" The person behind the lens has a lot more to do with the quality of the image than the lens itself, especially in the range of gear that you're talking about getting into.

I knew someone would mention this, and it's a very good point. Fortunately, I was already planning on taking one type of class or another after I found the right camera, although I might start another thread eventually to try find one of the better courses out there.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back