Best Drummer's All Time, Past, Present: Let the Beat's Begin!
May 13, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #91 of 128
6 pages and no love for Terri Lyne Carrington.. yikes ya'll... you're slipping.. im not even a drummer and i know better.. :wink:
saw her play with herbie hancock a few years back at chicago Jazz fest.  Totally amazing woman.

at least ya got jojo mayer and carter beauford in there

May 13, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #92 of 128

Quote:
Over listened to it.  Simple music, great tunes.

One of my favorite things to do to discover new tunes is to use Wikipedia and seek out someone you like and see what other bands they've played in.  

For instance, with Dave Grohol I went from Nirvana, to Probot, to Queens of the Stone Age, (then following Josh Homme) to Kyuss and Brant Bjork's stuff, and The Desert Sessions, to Screaming Trees, to Them Crooked Vultures, which had both Dave Grohol and Josh Homme again.  Those guys have been around the block many times and have laid down some serious tracks worthy of having.  Then there's all these other bands that have had these guys involved somehow, and next thing I know, my library has grown.

Wikipedia = good.

You make a damn good point there.

May 13, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #93 of 128

Quote:
6 pages and no love for Terri Lyne Carrington.. yikes ya'll... you're slipping.. im not even a drummer and i know better.. :wink:
saw her play with herbie hancock a few years back at chicago Jazz fest.  Totally amazing woman.

at least ya got jojo mayer and carter beauford in there

A really nice choice, I did forget about Him the mind starting to go.

May 31, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #100 of 128
For the love of God, please take Joey Jordison off of that list...

Anyway, I'd like to add David King (the bad plus), George Kolas (nile), Jojo Mayer (solo), Thomas Pridgen (the mars volta, the memorials), Aaron Spears (Usher), and Tony Royster (multiple hip hop artists)

Yea, those are probably my favorites, I'm probably forgetting a few though. I've been drumming for a good 4 years now so I've looked up a bunch. 

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #104 of 128
As a bass player, I'm not properly qualified to judge, but a drummer friend of mine always loved Bonzo, and he's one of my faves too. However, since he got a gig in a Who tribute band, he's come to appreciate just how good Moony was, behind all the theatrics. The drummer in my band was inspired by Phil Collins who has to be one of the best I've ever seen live. Of the current crop of drummers, I really like Dave Grohl especially in Them Crooked Vultures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back