Best Drummer's All Time, Past, Present: Let the Beat's Begin!
Apr 23, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #76 of 128
I had the pleasure of attending one of Terry Bozzio's Melodic Drumming clinics several years ago.

It was a mind blowing experience to say the least. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlPLuLbfUKc

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #78 of 128
The best I've seen live are Bill Bruford, Steve Gadd, and Pierre Moerlen. 

Pierre Moerlen is one of my favorite percussionists to listen to.  One of my all time favorite songs is Percolations 1 & 2

Evelyn Glennie in someone I really would like to see in concert.  For those who don't know her story, she lost her hearing as a kid.  After losing her hearing, she started playing percussion and is now one of the premier classical percussionists.

Quote:
Tomas Haake is absolutely ridiculous.  Any drummer that can play beats that are nigh impossible for someone to tap along to and still remain musical gets my respect.  Meshuggah uses the weirdest time signatures, and he never misses a beat.  

If you like odd time signatures, check out Zappa.  The most outrageous example is T'Mershi Duween from the 73 and 74 tours,  the melody is in 23/16 and the accompaniment in 9/6.  The majority of his stuff is in odd time signature, many with with melody and accompaniment different time signatures.

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #79 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[Snip]

Evelyn Glennie in someone I really would like to see in concert.  For those who don't know her story, she lost her hearing as a kid.  After losing her hearing, she started playing percussion and is now one of the premier classical percussionists.

[Snip]

She is truly amazing.  I've seen her perform a couple times and her musicality is unbelievable!  She's just a little spit-fire of a woman, but she plays her heart out and does a great job, a real powerhouse performer!

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #83 of 128
I haven't. I really want to see Tool live.

I will go see A Perfect Circle this summer though!

Awesome! I didn't even know APC was going to tour again. I assume they have a new album then as well.

Saw Tool once ~3 years ago, 10,000 days tour, been a Tool fan since Aenima came out so it was quite a pleasure. Danny was quite fun to watch.

Apr 27, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #84 of 128

Quote:
Quote:
I haven't. I really want to see Tool live.

I will go see A Perfect Circle this summer though!

Awesome! I didn't even know APC was going to tour again. I assume they have a new album then as well.

Saw Tool once ~3 years ago, 10,000 days tour, been a Tool fan since Aenima came out so it was quite a pleasure. Danny was quite fun to watch.

yeah a perfect cirlce announced the tour a couple months ago...if onyl they were stopping anywhere near me. but no, i dont think they are planning on doing a new cd, at least they havent said anything about one.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #85 of 128
yeah a perfect cirlce announced the tour a couple months ago...if onyl they were stopping anywhere near me. but no, i dont think they are planning on doing a new cd, at least they havent said anything about one.

On their website it says they're slowly working on new material. I'll see them in July if I get the chance, it's surprising that they're playing DC.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #86 of 128
Bonzo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRuTcnd8YLU

May 13, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #87 of 128
Dave Grohl, another excellent drummer for Nirvana, Foo Fighters and a side project 2003/04 called Probot.

May 13, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #88 of 128
He was also drumming for Queens of The Stone Age on Songs For The Deaf and Tenacious D and Nine Inch Nails and Garbage and Them Crooked Vultures.

Dude gets around.  And must be having a great time.

May 13, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #89 of 128

Quote:
He was also drumming for Queens of The Stone Age on Songs For The Deaf and Tenacious D and Nine Inch Nails and Garbage and Them Crooked Vultures.

Dude gets around.  And must be having a great time.

Nice info there, I did not realize He was into these other venture's. It's been awhile since I listened to anything from Him. Did You ever listen to His project called Probot?

May 13, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #90 of 128
Over listened to it.  Simple music, great tunes.

One of my favorite things to do to discover new tunes is to use Wikipedia and seek out someone you like and see what other bands they've played in.  

For instance, with Dave Grohol I went from Nirvana, to Probot, to Queens of the Stone Age, (then following Josh Homme) to Kyuss and Brant Bjork's stuff, and The Desert Sessions, to Screaming Trees, to Them Crooked Vultures, which had both Dave Grohol and Josh Homme again.  Those guys have been around the block many times and have laid down some serious tracks worthy of having.  Then there's all these other bands that have had these guys involved somehow, and next thing I know, my library has grown.

Wikipedia = good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back