Best Drummer's All Time, Past, Present: Let the Beat's Begin!
Apr 2, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #46 of 128
That is a fantastic list. My only gripe is that drummers from other genres of music such as hip hop or jazz are not in the list. Josh Freese has played in many more bands than just A Perfect Circle. He also was the main drummer for Nine Inch Nails on tour.

Apr 2, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #47 of 128

Quote:
That is a fantastic list. My only gripe is that drummers from other genres of music such as hip hop or jazz are not in the list. Josh Freese has played in many more bands than just A Perfect Circle. He also was the main drummer for Nine Inch Nails on tour.

Exactly. It's really a rock orientated list.

It's Dream Theater (not Theatre)
Bill Bruford not only played in Yes, but also King Crimson

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #48 of 128
It's obviously greatest drummers in terms of popularity, not neccesarily skills or prowness.  The list is pretty lame.  There's a few jazz drummers on the list and I can understand leaving some off due to obscurity but to NOT include Dave Weckl is sinful.  He's easily among top 5 in the world regardless of genre.  A living legend as well as one of the greatest clinical teachers of drumming.

Apr 2, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #50 of 128
Tomas Haake is absolutely ridiculous.  Any drummer that can play beats that are nigh impossible for someone to tap along to and still remain musical gets my respect.  Meshuggah uses the weirdest time signatures, and he never misses a beat.  

Apr 2, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #51 of 128

Quote:
Tomas Haake is absolutely ridiculous.  Any drummer that can play beats that are nigh impossible for someone to tap along to and still remain musical gets my respect.  Meshuggah uses the weirdest time signatures, and he never misses a beat.  

I definitely agree Meshuggah is insane and when I think about the time signature and all the technique in their playing it makes my head spin.

I would definitely say that this man is one of the most talented drummers I've ever heard but he isn't one of my favorites or influences which is why I never named him.

There's a lot of talented drummers in the extreme metal genre.

Apr 3, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #52 of 128
I'm not sure what genre meshuggah is in.  They are heavy, but no one else can duplicate their unique music.  It's kind of overwhelming to listen to at times because you can easily get lost listening to certain instruments.  

Apr 3, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #53 of 128

Quote:
It's obviously greatest drummers in terms of popularity, not neccesarily skills or prowness.  The list is pretty lame.  There's a few jazz drummers on the list and I can understand leaving some off due to obscurity but to NOT include Dave Weckl is sinful.  He's easily among top 5 in the world regardless of genre.  A living legend as well as one of the greatest clinical teachers of drumming.

It's just a list, and offcourse it has everything to do with rock and popular, it's a list from Rolling Stone. Their readers are mostly not jazz listeners.
Every list like this is useless when you're looking for hierarchy, again, because it's simply too subjective (taste of the listener) and there are different things in drumming that one can find more of less important (technique, feel, etc. etc.).

Offcourse Dave Weckl beats the majority of names on this list, in most facets of drum playing. But he's not among top 5 in the world. The top 5 or 100 or 1000 of drummers are people you and I don't know probably, playing in small jazz clubs or a conservatoire/academy of music.

And in drumming it's always about genre. In this league there's no drummer who is 'among the best' in every genre, so there's no 'regardless of genre'.
Dave Weckl would have a (lack of power) problem in many metal bands. And offcourse, those metal drummers could never do the fantastic things Dave does.

It happens a lot that rock orientated people underestimate jazz/fusion/funk drummers. But it's also the other way around. People see jazz drummers do such fantastic things, that they can't imagine they also have limits. Same story in soul music. (I don't accuse anyone of that here, but that just happens a lot)

Apr 3, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #54 of 128
Classic one, who's to say which one of these masters is the best....

Apr 3, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #55 of 128

Quote:
It happens a lot that rock orientated people underestimate jazz/fusion/funk drummers. But it's also the other way around. People see jazz drummers do such fantastic things, that they can't imagine they also have limits. Same story in soul music. (I don't accuse anyone of that here, but that just happens a lot)

I wholeheartedly agree. This is a huge misconception that a lot of people make when comparing jazz and rock drumming.

By the way @proglover, I see you also have an electronic kit on your avatar. Can you recommend me a good headphone to use while drumming? My HD428 work well but in the future I'm thinking to upgrade to a HD280 Pro (if I can find a straight cable). What do you think?

Apr 3, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #56 of 128

Quote:

By the way @proglover, I see you also have an electronic kit on your avatar. Can you recommend me a good headphone to use while drumming? My HD428 work well but in the future I'm thinking to upgrade to a HD280 Pro (if I can find a straight cable). What do you think?

I don't know your butget, but I use Beyerdynamic DT770 pro (80 ohm). Your kick-drum/bass-drum will make you go WOW
Another nice possibility is ATH-M50

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #57 of 128
Quote:

Quote:
I don't know your butget, but I use Beyerdynamic DT770 pro (80 ohm). Your kick-drum/bass-drum will make you go WOW
Another nice possibility is ATH-M50

FWIW I too use Beyer DT770s (with my Roland TD-3 with a mesh snare --> small and cheap, I know, but they were sooo cheap!!) and they really do work well for the job.  The kick is clear, as are the other drums, the spatial positioning of the drums is also easily distinguished, and they are pretty well driven straight out of the headphone out. 

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #58 of 128
Cool. Thanks guys I'll check it out. I did used to look at the DT770 M. It's just that I really love my midrange so I was looking for a closed headphone with good midrange.

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #60 of 128
Lots of good names mentioned so far but lists like these are usually popularity contests.

For example, these three old guys would smoke most of the drummers mentioned in this thread as far as technique, chops, skills and showmanship goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back