Best Drive for Ripping Audio
Aug 30, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedxing
My mistake. I think C2 is locked out.

I'm... confused. What do you mean locked out? I'm pretty sure my BenQ just doesn't support it. And this thread was the first I had heard about AccurateRip, I'll have to look into using it in the future.

Aug 30, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #32 of 40
with EAC almost any drive can rip very accurately...

i find NEC and Plextor to be the best though for ripping scratched cds

and out of the drives i have my asus cd-rom is the only one that will rip the cd side of a dualdisc (my nec 2100 tards out on dualdisc with excessively slow speeds and an error every 5 seconds)

Aug 30, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #33 of 40
For me its whatevers in my computer + eac. Then I just verify the log.

Biggie.

Aug 30, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #35 of 40
when i built my last computer, i used a plextor cd-rw/dvd-r drive so that i could try ripping cd's with plextools. i think it's a 716sa like others have mentioned. most of my cds are in very good shape, and i have detected problems on only two of about 300 cds i've ripped, and i know eac also had problems with one of those. i've stuck with plextools because it's so much faster than eac. usually rippin at 30x, i've not lost much time if it turns out i need to re-rip a cd with eac, which usually runs at 2-7x. before i installed the plextor, i used an external usb memorex cd-r drive, and it ripped with eac faster than my plextor with eac (still nowhere as fast as plextools).

Aug 30, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #36 of 40
I have 2 CDRW drives:
- Plextor Premium (not the recent Premium 2): very fast with Plextools (and reliable with the discs in mint condition), but variable results with scratched discs; resonably fast (~11x max. speed) with EAC (C2 disabled), usually OK with scratched discs, but not great; built to last, I think will still work 15 years from now; not a great burner for audio IMO, at least my unit
- Philips 4816: almost as good speed as the Premium with EAC (C2 disabled), but at least as reliable as Premium on most discs, overall I would say better for ripping; obviously not as well built as the Premium; better burner even than Premium with the Gigarec feature used for best audio quality

When I say "better burner" I mean the CDRs written with it sound better the those written with the other drive. I know this will not be easy to accept for some, and I don't want to open a can of worms (especially since this thread is about reading), so take it as you wish.

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Quichotte
I have 2 CDRW drives:
- Plextor Premium (not the recent Premium 2): very fast with Plextools (and reliable with the discs in mint condition), but variable results with scratched discs; resonably fast (~11x max. speed) with EAC (C2 disabled), usually OK with scratched discs, but not great; built to last, I think will still work 15 years from now; not a great burner for audio IMO, at least my unit
- Philips 4816: almost as good speed as the Premium with EAC (C2 disabled), but at least as reliable as Premium on most discs, overall I would say better for ripping; obviously not as well built as the Premium; better burner even than Premium with the Gigarec feature used for best audio quality

When I say "better burner" I mean the CDRs written with it sound better the those written with the other drive. I know this will not be easy to accept for some, and I don't want to open a can of worms (especially since this thread is about reading), so take it as you wish.

11x rip with EAC and your plextor premium is good. Is that with secure rip on or burst mode? It almost makes me want to buy the premium 2, but I have issues buying a cd-rom drive for over a $100 now days.

Its sounds funny that plextor premium is a "better burner", but its entirely possible that your burner burns certain media very well and CD players can play them back well. I have a samsung burner at home and when I create audio CDs with it, they sound bad on every single CD player I tried. The treble frequencies are deemphasized which is very very weird. I have no explanation why such things can happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wax4213
I'm... confused. What do you mean locked out? I'm pretty sure my BenQ just doesn't support it. And this thread was the first I had heard about AccurateRip, I'll have to look into using it in the future.

Bad choice of words. I meant to say that many drives out there do not any mechanism to report C2 errors to the software. Plextor has special protocol mechanisms to prevent third party software from correctly decoding PI/PO and C1/C2 errors.

Aug 31, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedxing
11x rip with EAC and your plextor premium is good. Is that with secure rip on or burst mode? It almost makes me want to buy the premium 2, but I have issues buying a cd-rom drive for over a $100 now days.

Its sounds funny that plextor premium is a "better burner", but its entirely possible that your burner burns certain media very well and CD players can play them back well. I have a samsung burner at home and when I create audio CDs with it, they sound bad on every single CD player I tried. The treble frequencies are deemphasized which is very very weird. I have no explanation why such things can happen.

It's ~11x on the outer edge of some of the discs with EAC in secure mode (C2 detection feature disabled), and I do not find it spectacular, only normal (the Philips can go pretty close). One should make sure it's DMA enabled, though (in Plextools -> drive-I-don't-know-what -> advanced, it's from the memory, sorry).
The better burner of the two is the Philips (for audio). On every kind of media, the Philips burns with better sound (still never as good as the original disc): warmer, sweeter, with fuller bass. But I've burned once with a Plextor 5224 and the sound was even better. All burned at 4x. I also don't understand where these differences come from, I thought it would be jitter but I'm not so sure anymore. It's bit perfect, anyway (I've checked). And it's not an illusion.

Aug 31, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #39 of 40
I have a Lite-On combo drive that seems to be working pretty well. Here is the dmesg output on my FreeBSD box:
Code:

Code:
[left]acd0: CDRW <LITE-ON COMBO LTC-48161H/KGH1> at ata0-master UDMA33[/left]

I use cdparanoia to rip all my CDs. I think it does an excellent job.
rs1smile.gif

Oct 23, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #40 of 40
The EAC faqs talk about offset. I get the idea from it that if you haven't figured your drive's offset yet, then your rips are not 100% accurate, i'm not sure. What is this about? Do i have to rerip my whole collection AGAIN now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back