Best drive for EAC ripping?
Mar 1, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #31 of 35
All CD drives SHOULD read the same digital data off the same CD. It's just that some do it better than others. Two of the biggest factors in the better drives would be the OPU and Feedback Circuitry. The feedback circuit needs to be able to react quickly enough to keep the lens focused on the more troublesome spots. And the OPU needs a good sensor and laser to make sure the lens tracks correctly.

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pageygeeza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it might just be me being too fussy. If it says it doesn't match up with what's in the database, then I assume it's unusable. I usually read in the order: Paranoid > Secure > Burst. I've also noticed a lot of CD's, the last track at the end pretty much always has a problem.

From my understanding, if you run it in burst mode you are treating the disk the same way your CD player does -- i.e., it tries to do basic error recovery at the hardware level and if it can't it just moves on. I've had a couple of old CDs whose AccurateRip checksums did not match up with the database, but the rips still sounded fine.

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #33 of 35
You've got a point there actually, never thought about it that way. The main reason I'm fussy about the errors, is because I played a track once with a few sync errors and it stuttered like crazy. So I'll always associate the sync errors with the famous skipping CD's.
wink.gif

I'll wait until this new drive comes through then try it again.

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #35 of 35
i used to use plextor, then realised that they are all the same as long as they ain't broken - albeit some will be faster.

using an asus and a lite-on drive atm, both perfect.

AMQR seems interesting, but useless in regards to ripping.

don't fuss :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back