Best double album?
Aug 20, 2003 at 1:23 PM Post #32 of 95
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
I think most of radiohead's vinyl comes in double lp form, except for pablo honey and the bends, so I'd go with "kid a"

does that count?

if so, my vote is for Porcupine Tree - Signify.

otherwise...I guess Dire Straits - Alchemy.

I'm not a double-CD man, and I haven't heard most of the classics mentioned already.

Aug 21, 2003 at 1:47 PM Post #33 of 95
*The Orb - The Orb adventures beyond the ultraworld
*Various Artist - Em:t explorer
*Various Artist - The other world (Hypnos)
*Pete Namlook/Dr. Atmo - Silence 1/2 (Instinct label)
*Vidna Obmana - Well of Souls
*David Parsons - Yatra
*Biosphere - Substrata/Man with the movie camera
*Thomas Koner - Teimo/Permaforst

Aug 26, 2003 at 2:24 PM Post #36 of 95
Quote:

Originally posted by Riordan
yes it was and it would be my vote too - if not for another punk double album that i like even more:
hüsker dü - zen arcade

The Minutemen's DOUBLE NICKELS ON THE DIME. That plus ZEN ARCADE = two of the best double albums ever.

I do love THE WALL too
tongue.gif

I guess SANDINISTA! is really a triple album, though it's on 2cds. A lot of folks don't like it, but I love it!

-jar

Aug 26, 2003 at 2:45 PM Post #38 of 95
I don't think any live albums should count, since they're basically "greatest hits" compilations. I also don't think the Radiohead or similar albums should count because the only reason they take up two LPs is because they were conceived and recorded within the limitations of a CD but longer than what a single LP can handle. In other words, they weren't conceived as double albums; they were conceived as single CDs that happen to be too long for a single LP. If those count, then almost any album released on CD since the early 90s would be considered a "double."

With that in mind, my vote would go to Pink Floyd's THE WALL -- a true double album filled with incredible music. Second would probably be Stevie Wonder's SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE or Elton John's GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD.

Aug 26, 2003 at 3:58 PM Post #39 of 95
if it fits on one cd, i don't count it as a double album. like for instance, kid a is _definitely_ not "double album" length (~45 minutes) but comes on two 10" vinyls. i'll leave my opinions on this thread to be for cds that are double albums, and have to be released this way.

also instead of just listing a bunch of albums that i like, i'll put my vote for my favorite:

smashing pumpkins - mellon collie and the infinite sadness

i've had friends swear up and down that the lambs lie down on broadway is better, but i still like mellon collie.

Aug 26, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #40 of 95
I was in middle school when the White Album came out, it was probably the most feverently anticipated album of all time - with the possible exception of the Springsteen box set.

Although the White Album, overall, is great, I would vote against it for two glaring faults-the inclusion of Revolution 1 & 9. Revolution (the single version) was a huge hit at the time, and is a great song. Revolution #1, the album version of the song, is painfully tepid and slow. Revolution #9 is a total joke-its basically nonsense music that most people will only listen to once, and even then probably not all the way through.

With a CD you can easily program around these glaring faults, which is not as easily not on a LP. With two little changes (put the single version of Revolution in place of Revolution #1 and dang near anything in place of #9-even silence)-this would have been the best double album ever.

My nominations for best double album, in a major artist category, would be the Allman Brothers, Live at Fillmore East (best live album ever, and the peak of this excellent band) or Springsteen's "The River" (great blend of hits and back tracks, first showing of the true quality of work he was to do). My personal favorite, and probably not heard by too many people here, would be Todd Rundgren's Something/Anything?-Rundgren plays everything, which is usually a certain sign of diaster, but is an absolute pop masterpiece.

Aug 27, 2003 at 7:22 AM Post #41 of 95
[Shrugs] I like "Revolution 9"

"Number 9, number 9, number 9..."

I'd say the Dead's "Europe 72" should be on this list.
For recent recordings. the White Stripes "Elephant".

Aug 27, 2003 at 12:25 PM Post #42 of 95
Europe '72
Grateful Dead
Initial release : November 1972
Warner Bros. 3WS-2668

Three LP live set recorded during the 1972 tour of Europe.

So while it is an excellent album, and one of the few triple LP sets, it would not qualify as Best Double Album.

Sep 10, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #45 of 95
BEST EVER:
"Freak Out!" by The Mothers of Invention.

Runners up:
The white album by The Beatles
"Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" by Elton John (I'm not normally a big fan, but this albums has some spectacular Bernie Taupin songwriting. After Bernie left, Elton let himself get faaaar too idiotic for anyone's good.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back