Best DJ in the World
Dec 13, 2005 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

chrisfromalbany

Headphoneus Supremus
I dont see the topic to most here. So I thought I bring the topic up.

BTW.. this is DJ mags top 100 for 2005.

http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=19099

Tiesto was the top for a few years and now Van Dyk is on top. "In Search of Sunrise 3" was one of Tiesto best mix albums. The transitions between the songs, the songs choosen, and order all come into play. Very much like art work.
B00006BXJM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Dec 13, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 32
That's my favorite DJ Tiesto Album!!! I also like his "Forbidden Paradise 7 Deep Forest (live)"...very upbeat.

Dec 13, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 32
I recently downloaded "Live at Heineken Music Hall 12-03-2005" that is pretty good as well. It is a 6 hour set from Tiesto.

Highlights would be
Tiesto - "Flight 643"
Coca & Villa - "La Noche"
Gabriel & Dresden - "Arcadia"
Tonedepth & Soultan - "Moments"

I mean if you download "DJ Tiesto - Flight 643" listen to it loud and have a good set of speakers or headphones. And don't like it, I don't know you are going to like Trance music.

Dec 13, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 32
All due respect to the Trance lovers...I need to say something here.
Dj Mag and all the rest of the DJ lists out there consistently get it wrong.
They choose the most popular djs DJS over the best.
There is no doubt Tiesto is a good DJ, but theres also no coincidence that plays basic, mainstream trancey/house, that more so in Europe is extremely accessible.
I started Djing hardcore and jungle about 15 years ago (not anymore) and every year its the same thing with these lists. Basically, whose ever got the more number one singles, remixes and most importantly, the most sets while demanding and getting the most money-gets number 1.
Its B.S.
IMO, its all about skill, no more no less.
Yes its important that you "work' the crowd and yes its important that you do lotsa gigs and get in the public eye...but it always boils down to raw musical/mixing skills.
Naming the "most popular" DJ is one thing, naming the "best" is another.
Richie Hawtin is the best DJ in the world, and has been for probably 15 years. Richie can rock 4 turntables, two laptops, synthesizers, keyboards and drum machines simultaneously-all while chatting with his fans on the side.
The only man on the planet who comes close, is Carl Cox.
Sorry for ranting, but im sick of seeing the same old mainstream trancey/house DJS in the top ten every year.
Oakenfold, Sasha, Digweed...great DJS-but Hawtin, Cox, Wink, Dan-these guys who dont get the proper recognition-theyre on another level.

Dec 13, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 32
I feel that working the crowd is just as important, if not more than your skill. You can be the most skilled mixer in the universe, but if you don't play what the crowd wants, you will never be any good. Its just the way that this works... an artist makes it big by becoming popular, and he becomes popular by playing what people want to hear.

Switching genres, take a look at rap. 50 cent used to be pretty darn good in his underground days, then he began to get big, and his whole style changed, to appeal to a larger audience. Now most of his stuff stinks.

How about Oakenfold? Bunkaa was one of the worst albums he ever put out, IMO, but it did great things for his career. It got his name out.

I LOVE Tiesto, and I would never mean to slander him... but he could only ride his trip to the Olympics for so long.

BTW: I loved Parade of the Athletes as an album. In my opinion, there is no contest that Tiesto should be number 1, but the crowd has spoken.
mad.gif

Dec 13, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 32
Well Richie Hawtin albums are alittle more Techno based then Dance based. I have no problem with saying he is the best. After listening to different DJ, I found Tiesto and Gabriel and Dresden some of my favorites.

For "Gabriel and Dresden" it
Duncan Sheik - On a High (Gabriel & Dresden's Love High Remix)

I liked the remix to much that I had to find other work they did. BTW.. heard the orginal, the remix was quite good in my opinion. Again may need to use a peer to peer for it.

Dec 13, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 32
I think this thread was started as sort of "appreciation" for DJ Tiesto...so let me continue in that tone by saying his "Magik 5 - Heaven Beyond" album is also great:wink: Long live DJ Tiesto!!!

Dec 13, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #9 of 32
I think this thread was started as sort of "appreciation" for DJ Tiesto...so let me continue in that tone by saying his "Magik 5 - Heaven Beyond" album is also great:wink: Long live DJ Tiesto!!!

Dec 13, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
I feel that working the crowd is just as important, if not more than your skill. You can be the most skilled mixer in the universe, but if you don't play what the crowd wants, you will never be any good. Its just the way that this works... an artist makes it big by becoming popular, and he becomes popular by playing what people want to hear.

Switching genres, take a look at rap. 50 cent used to be pretty darn good in his underground days, then he began to get big, and his whole style changed, to appeal to a larger audience. Now most of his stuff stinks.

How about Oakenfold? Bunkaa was one of the worst albums he ever put out, IMO, but it did great things for his career. It got his name out.

I LOVE Tiesto, and I would never mean to slander him... but he could only ride his trip to the Olympics for so long.

BTW: I loved Parade of the Athletes as an album. In my opinion, there is no contest that Tiesto should be number 1, but the crowd has spoken.
mad.gif

I respect your opinion and I will agree with you that Tiesto knows how to move a crowd; it is an extremely important DJ trait.
However, let me ask you: How many highly skilled DJS do you know that DONT know how to move a crowd?
Carl Cox never fails to tear the roof off and ive seen Hawtin do things to montrous sized crowds that cant be put into words.
To be honest, I really cant think of any DJ that I would put in the top ten that doesnt own his/her crowd.

Dec 13, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #11 of 32
Wow!! chrisfromalbany I think we have similar taste in trance music:wink: That's a great mix. Gabriel & Dresden's "Bloom" album and thier "Essential Mix 03-09-2003" (2hour mix) is great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
Well Richie Hawtin albums are alittle more Techno based then Dance based. I have no problem with saying he is the best. After listening to different DJ, I found Tiesto and Gabriel and Dresden some of my favorites.

For "Gabriel and Dresden" it
Duncan Sheik - On a High (Gabriel & Dresden's Love High Remix)

I liked the remix to much that I had to find other work they did. BTW.. heard the orginal, the remix was quite good in my opinion. Again may need to use a peer to peer for it.

Dec 13, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138

so maybe I could rename the thread. Anyways. Below is a copy of the best I could find for the set list for 12-3-05. Many times I find myself hearing something for a live session like 6 months on a Ultra or Ministry Of Sound CD that I really like.

http://www.mixes.dj/www/downloads/l/...am_dec_3_2005/

Dec 13, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
I respect your opinion and I will agree with you that Tiesto knows how to move a crowd; it is an extremely important DJ trait.
However, let me ask you: How many highly skilled DJS do you know that DONT know how to move a crowd?
Carl Cox never fails to tear the roof off and ive seen Hawtin do things to montrous sized crowds that cant be put into words.
To be honest, I really cant think of any DJ that I would put in the top ten that doesnt own his/her crowd.

I fully agree.

BTW I saw Teisto, Cox, Digweed (got his autograph
smily_headphones1.gif
), dieselboy, and a few tohers atht eh Area 2 tour a few years ago.

Carl Cox easily topped the day... he was amazing!

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
I fully agree.

BTW I saw Teisto, Cox, Digweed (got his autograph
smily_headphones1.gif
), dieselboy, and a few tohers atht eh Area 2 tour a few years ago.

Carl Cox easily topped the day... he was amazing!

Dieselboy's no slouch either...I love some good hard/techstep
Saw Cox at Twilo about 5-6 years back-place was bananas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back