Best DIY home amp around 100USD basic 125ish with mods that help SQ big difference
May 30, 2007 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MusicallySilent

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking to build a home amplifier to drive out of my pc and ipod mostly pc and probably with a chaintec av710 card I am hoping to get the 100-125 budget stock and maybe upgrade some opamps or capactiators or other components, it can be driven off a wall outlet if it needs a powersupply not a just plug in DC one can you guide me to that or give me a link if you have to build the power supply. Links to the amp (and powersupply) would be greatly appreciated

I am very interested with the senns hd580 (possible future recable to hd650 cable if i got one) and maybe the hd555 or hd595 instead

I am looking for something with all around good sound quality and I will probably convert my 128bit wma library (re rip cds) to high bit rate flac music

I listen to:

Classical, Country, Light rock (no metal), Opera (Andrea Bocelli), Rock Classical (Rock music played on classical instruments Bond Apocalyptica (its kinda like metal i just dont like the screaming and whatnot) and the like), Instrumental Music, Soundtracks, No: Rap or metal

I can take a moderate-easy build it will be a first one but i have looked at microchips and taken a little home education breadboard set thing and played around with that... as long as i check the symbols over a few times and make sure i have the right parts ill probably be fine.

I want something that is powerful enough to drive at least 300ohms and maybe even 600ohms so ill be safe with everything i might want to get far in future

Once again i want something to improve sound quality decently in all fields I will also probably sadly play a game or two with the amp and headphones so it needs decent bass response
basshead.gif

Thanks for all your suggestions

Sincerely

MusicallySilent

May 30, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 13
May 30, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 13
Yea the pimeta with upgraded caps and opamps is looking most likely now unless i splurge on a millet hybrid but apprently the PCBs arent made anymore, can someone confirm this unless im looking in the wrong place?

Apparently you can get the via headfi... can i have a link for this...

It seems like a good potential amp at around 125 bucks with everything and a few mods nice case etc.

EDIT: is this where i should buy the board?

http://www.diyforums.org/order.html

Or should i splurge a bit and make the millet max depending on how expensive and good it sounds

May 30, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea the pimeta with upgraded caps and opamps is looking most likely now unless i splurge on a millet hybrid but apprently the PCBs arent made anymore, can someone confirm this unless im looking in the wrong place?

Apparently you can get the via headfi... can i have a link for this...

It seems like a good potential amp at around 125 bucks with everything and a few mods nice case etc.

EDIT: is this where i should buy the board?

http://www.diyforums.org/order.html

Or should i splurge a bit and make the millet max depending on how expensive and good it sounds

Uh - yes, maybe you should check:
http://www.diyforums.org/MAX

There just happens to be one of the biggest Group Buys (check the Group Buy section!?) going right now, here and on Headwize for cetoole's Millett Hybrid Max - over 260 boards and counting.

Add $25 to your latest target price and you're almost there: ~$150.

EDIT: If you expect that you ever want to build one, go ahead and buy the board and put it away. Build a CMoy or two, and maybe you'll be ready for one. The PIMETA might be too much the first time around, too.

May 30, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 13
IMO, due to Tangent's support pages and less that can go wrong, the Pimeta plus PSU (linear regulator type, one of which is the Tread but any typical Datasheet reference circuit would suffice) is the best match to your project requirements. CKKIII is a strong contender but not what you'd want to build first.

May 30, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a home amp, the CKKIII is the way to go. It's easy to build, fits the price range you mention, uses parts that are easy to find, and, of course, sounds great.

It surprises me that this amp hasn't got a larger following, the design of this discrete amp is up there with the giants and it is such an easy amp to listen to. I am always pleasantly surprised when I power it up
biggrin.gif
getting off track
rolleyes.gif
, you will not be disappointed with this unassuming jewel..dB

May 31, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 13
I'd definitely get in on the Millett Hybrid Max group buy-

I built my old-style Millett Hybrid about two weeks before Cetoole started showing his off, and I've been kicking myself ever since.
I'd build one for sure, but I don't have another $150 to spend right now.

MHs aren't terrifically hard builds; the only complex part really is the biasing, which just takes a little reading/patience. I built mine after only having built a Cmoy before, and it turned out great.

May 31, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikrit42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd definitely get in on the Millett Hybrid Max group buy-

I built my old-style Millett Hybrid about two weeks before Cetoole started showing his off, and I've been kicking myself ever since.
I'd build one for sure, but I don't have another $150 to spend right now.

MHs aren't terrifically hard builds; the only complex part really is the biasing, which just takes a little reading/patience. I built mine after only having built a Cmoy before, and it turned out great.

You can always cannibalize your old Millett to cut down on cost on the Max
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #12 of 13
So how many people like millet here as it is getting a great response and will it sound good with sennhesiers some possible akgs or beyers?

Jun 1, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #13 of 13
I've built ~8 milletts, and of all the "cheaper" amps (5x Pimetas, 3x Mints, 2x SOHAs, Yaha, etc.), and the Millett by far my favorite. All of these amps are great, but I really feel like the Millett has a lot of character and is the best bang for the buck.

I prefer K701s and HF-1s on the Millett.. The Sennheiser HD-600's work with the Millett, but i think that they mate better with higher-end solid state amps thus far. The K701s seem to work equally well with just about any amp, while the Grados definitely need a tube amp to tone 'em down a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back