Best DIY Desktop DAC
May 28, 2015 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

HarryOMalley

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I own a pair of AKG K550s and I am soon going to be purchasing a pair of beyerdynamic DT 990s. The version of these headphones that I am likely to be purchasing is the 250 ohm version. From this, and the fact that I would like to improve the sound of my current AKGs, I want to get a DAC. Already I have made a Gainclone Amp to power a speaker setup in the Living Room, so I will likely make another for my computer. Having looked around I noticed how expensive the DACs are and generally the message I am getting is that for it to be worthwhile, you likely need to spend several hundreds of pounds. So I started to see if I could make my own DAC, and I was very quickly overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of DIY DACs on the market. I would like to know what you all think the best one is, obviously it needs to have a 3.5mm output and ideally powered by USB. I have looked at the pupDAC and Opus DAC so far.

Thanks.

May 28, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 21
The Buffalo DAC from Twisted Pear (same place as the Opus) is the best DIY DAC, no doubt. As for price/performance ratio, the Buffalo can cost thousands to build in some cases, so...

May 30, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 21
Gainclone is a speaker amp, not headphone amp

Indeed. I totally didn't see the gainclone stuff. The headphone "gainclone" is called a CMoy and quite frankly it sucks. Albeit it only costs $20...

May 30, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #10 of 21
Hi both thanks for your replies. That's what I was thinking, although the Gainclone is good sounding with speakers I didn't know whether it would transfer to headphones too... Have you heard what the O2 Amps sound like? They seem like a good route to go down.

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #12 of 21
Build a torpedo or l'esspressivo (same amp, just your choice of thru-hole PCB soldering or point to point) if you want something with the kind of current the AKGs want, but also the voltage the beyers need.

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #14 of 21
I would really like to make Tube amp, however they seem to be slightly more expensive and I want to pick an amp that will last well, and I can make (relatively) quickly. At the moment, I am going to make an O2 Amp and i would like to make the ODAC or the pupDAC, the ODAC is supposedly very good, however I cant seem to find a place to purchase the PCBs - but I am going to continue looking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back