Best DIY amps for K701?
Jan 12, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #46 of 53
Don't let the low cost of the Jaycar kit throw you off...it is certainly capable of much more with a few mods, a solid power supply and parts upgrades. Easily a clean,dynamic and powerful little amp. It's remarkably truthful to it's source and is very light on it's feet. I've been totally impressed with mine thus far.

Of course it will not compete with the likes of a Beta22 or other amps within that price range ( nor would I expect it to) but for 1/12th the cost of a B22 it's pretty darn good.

Peete.

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if it itches, scratch it. try rocking a chair on another porch for awhile.

Thanks for all the great input fishski, and everybody. I'm on the verge of ordering something, Bijou I think, no wait, B22, no, Bijou...

I went back through some of the reviews and discussions. Skylab, while he liked the Bijou, didn't think it was as good as several other common tube amps. If so, that would leave me wanting more. The one that he reviewed looked like a prototype so I'm sure upgraded Bijoux (like the French plural?) may sound better than what he reviewed. But, based on comments, I'm thinking that the output capacitors may hold the amp back for the K701 with its low impedance that won't allow the use of smaller output caps, so you can't feasibly replace the electrolytics with film caps.

How about a really good transformer coupled tube amp? I was lusting for a maxed WA6 or WA6 SE before I decided to upgrade my source instead. There don't seem to be any good transformer-coupled DIY tube amp projects, aside from the Bottlehead S.E.X. amp which is almost as much as a WA6. Does anybody know how S.E.X. and WA6 compare (the amps I mean
evil_smiley.gif
).

So, while I would really like to build something with tubes now to complement my solid state VHP-2, I'm thinking it might be better to build the high-end solid state amp (B22) and save my pennies to buy a WA6 variant (sometime far enough into the future that my wife forgets how much money I have spent recently on head-fi stuff) or wait to see what Alex and Ferrari have up their sleeves for the Super Bijou.

Decisions, decisions...

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #48 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the rest are great amps, they are simply in a class lower than the Beta22. If you're going for the best, build this.

Having heard two different Beta22, one balanced, one not, I respectfully disagree. The balanced Bijou is in the same class, and does some things better. Period.

Whichever way you go, it will be the right decision. There are no bad choices here.

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have no idea what i spent on my Balanced Bijou, and i'd rather not think about it
redface.gif

I spent about $750 after some retrofit of attenuators (TKD Log A, replacing cheap eBay steppers). I also used big Obbligatos, but may have also tried to use some of the Mundorf M-Tube caps had I known at the time, well, and that PartsConnexion was having a sale.

The real advice here is to get out to a meet and listen to something before you build it - or ask of someone if you can come over and listen, should they be close to you. The real downside of the Bijou are the design decisions you have to make, or at least plan for, but, again, excellent support from the community of builders.

Regarding the Millett Max, there are several huge threads on that, and there is a huge support system getting those amps built - darn near foolproof.

Finally, the best advice in planning a build is to budget properly - set a budget, and add 50%. It just happens that way. I now set a budget, and double - but I wander off the path a wee bit... especially with tubes...

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #50 of 53
Jan 13, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #51 of 53
<sigh>

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #52 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having heard two different Beta22, one balanced, one not, I respectfully disagree. The balanced Bijou is in the same class, and does some things better. Period.

Whichever way you go, it will be the right decision. There are no bad choices here.

Hi all, I don't need to blow my ears out at 120 dB
confused.gif
, so I ordered a Bijou kit from GlassJar. It's deep into tube land for me and my K701s
k701smile.gif

Thanks for all of the comments to this point. Next of course I'll be asking for advice on parts and the build. But I'll do that on the Bijou thread. Thanks again.

recent selections

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #53 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My general idea is that a 'standard' Bijou build (ie. the one I built) isn't as nice as the B22. But, the Bijou scales up a long way with better parts - tubes, caps, attenuator - and a few mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back