Best disco song ?
May 12, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #16 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Flashlight - Parliament and not at all an oxymoron....

Interesting, given the fact that George Clinton styled himself as "the un-disco kid" during their heavy rock period. But this is a musician who creates first, and analyzes paradoxes later. A god of American music.

May 12, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #19 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_TNT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Vamos a la Playa" by Righeira
YouTube - Righeira vamos a la playa

tongue.gif

I am not sure this qualifies as disco, not sure what it qualifies for...

May 12, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #21 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Flashlight - Parliament and not at all an oxymoron....

Not sure I would qualify it as disco either, but a classic, great bass line (played on a synth I believe) - that album also contains other great songs : "Funkentelechy", "Sir Nose", "Bop Gun"....

Here's a fun video (especially Letterman's closing comment) : YouTube - George Clinton on Letterman

And another one of "Not just knee deep" YouTube - George Clinton & P-Funk Allstars - (Not just) Knee Deep Can anyone guess what headphones George is wearing ?

May 12, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #23 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by blem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure this qualifies as disco, not sure what it qualifies for...

its italodisco! and it awsome!!

May 12, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #24 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by freckling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stayin' alive by the bee gees

x2
Thats a classic!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #25 of 60
Those Donna Summer singles are evergreen ("Hot Stuff," "Bad Girls," toot-toot, beep-beep), but I'm gonna have to go with my man Nile Rodgers of Chic.

"Good Times"
"Le Freak"
"We Are Family"
"Upside Down"
"I'm Comin' Out"

Someone also mentioned the late, great Larry Levan. I witnessed some of his mixes firsthand; few folks could really read the energy on the dancefloor like him, though Norman Cook (aka Fatboy Slim) was also pretty intuitive before the celebrity kicked in, before he got so big that people would dance to whatever Ibiza-driven nonsense he was spinning.

May 12, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #27 of 60
anything produced by giorgio moroder really; blondie, donna summer, suzie lane, three degrees, france joly, madleen kane, etc
theres just something about the moroder sound; probably those damn catchy synths

May 12, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #28 of 60
Depends entirely your criteria, but if you ask me what song I've listened to most over time (though not always considered disco) it would Last Dance by Donna Summer. That may have to do with a dinner in an Italian restaurant in Merida, Yucatan as kids in the park next door were practicing for a dance with the song playing over and over and over. Still a pretty great pop tune.

May 12, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #30 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those Donna Summer singles are evergreen ("Hot Stuff," "Bad Girls," toot-toot, beep-beep), but I'm gonna have to go with my man Nile Rodgers of Chic.

"Good Times"
"Le Freak"
"We Are Family"
"Upside Down"
"I'm Comin' Out"

I'm with you on that one.

Here's another classic with a killer groove : Kool & The Gang - Ladie's Night - YouTube - Kool And The Gang - Ladies' Night (1979)

Full version here : YouTube - Kool & The Gang - Ladies Night

The entire album is good, BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back