Best digital format
Nov 13, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #17 of 20
You may be going psychotic... .ape is bitperfect, it's not a lossy compression like mp3. That means the sound it produces is 100% identical to what comes off the CD, not a single bit will be different.
Same as flac.

320 MP3 is still lossy, though the difference in most cases is probably not something people can usually hear.

So CD == .APE

If you find your CD playback sounds better than playing .ape, it's probably related to your playback chain and not the digital format.

Quote:

Originally posted by mercid
Nope,

it should read:

320 MP3= .ape
CD> MP3 and .ape

I just do not find that ape is a quality jump over .mp3 and it doesnt sound like a cd, to my ears

Nov 13, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #18 of 20
My suggestion is do some tests before you make the big time investment of ripping and encoding lots of CDs.

What you need to find is a solution that is transparent to you and that depends on your system and your "ears". Additionally you may want to consider some of the tangental issues such as hardware support.

Personally I found MP3 to be sufficient for me. I made a test CD with 10 songs in WAV and MP3 (at -APS) and was unable to discern the WAV from the MP3 with stastical meaningfulness in a blind test. The added benefits of being able to use with portable sources and not having to transcode secured my decision.

Zin

Nov 13, 2002 at 5:44 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Zin_Ramu
My suggestion is do some tests before you make the big time investment of ripping and encoding lots of CDs.

Personally I found MP3 to be sufficient for me. I made a test CD with 10 songs in WAV and MP3 (at -APS) and was unable to discern the WAV from the MP3 with stastical meaningfulness in a blind test. The added benefits of being able to use with portable sources and not having to transcode secured my decision.

Zin

This is a really good idea and sound advice. I'm going to try doing the same (although I've already ripped 90% of my collection of >300 CDs and have no interest in re-ripping them at this point, future rips and favorites which i might re-rip may benefit from this... as will my mind as to whether or not .ape is really necessary since i still have the CD's if I want premium quality).

Nov 13, 2002 at 7:10 PM Post #20 of 20
What is MPC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back