Best device for recording music
Feb 28, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #16 of 26
I've used MD for portable live recording for over ten years. Not without its limitations but has been stealthy, fun, reliable, and have very good, listenable, stereo, results.

The MZ-NE10 and the ECM-CS10 to be an excellent combination and (so far) undetectable.

Paul

Feb 28, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #17 of 26
i got a question for you tapers...
The thing that has always confused me is you say that md is one of the best for recording but how do you get it back onto the computer without loss of quality?

Feb 28, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by milamber
i got a question for you tapers...
The thing that has always confused me is you say that md is one of the best for recording but how do you get it back onto the computer without loss of quality?

With my older md recorder (before usb) I use a standalone md deck that has an optical out. I run the optical line into my audio card and thats that. Gotta love the 1x transfer speed
orphsmile.gif

Quote:

I don't think so. The Nomad Jukebox 3 (albeit discontinued) is the best device to use for recording. Can record up to 16/48, has a line in, optical in and two line outs to feed other devices that can be used as backup recorders. For reasonable quality get a battery box that will run thru the line in and maybe some cheap mics from www.soundprofessionals.com

Does the Jukebox have auto gain control when using the line in? I sorta considered one of those back when I was thinking about updating my recording setup, but in the end, my MZ r90 & 37 recorders along with my cardiod mics and powersupply (from sound professionals) works well enough. The only complaint I have comes with switching discs midway through a show.

Feeding other devices for a backup recorder might be nice, but when stealth recording a live show, size makes a pretty big difference
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappa74
Does the Jukebox have auto gain control when using the line in? I sorta considered one of those back when I was thinking about updating my recording setup, but in the end, my MZ r90 & 37 recorders along with my cardiod mics and powersupply (from sound professionals) works well enough. The only complaint I have comes with switching discs midway through a show.

Feeding other devices for a backup recorder might be nice, but when stealth recording a live show, size makes a pretty big difference
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm going to make the assumption that agc can screw up fidelity in the sense that it can compress soft passages and loud passages, if this is the case it's a big no-no and i don't think the njb3 offers it. For what it's worth, MD is very stealthable but i had so many issues when i used my DR7 that i gave up on it quickly (pause/play button not responding). Switching discs alone is enough for any taper to drive him/her mad.

I personally use my dat for stealth taping and so far i've had no issues sneaking it in and using a DDS1 dat tape which offers 3 hrs of recording time. From there i use my tascam da20 to convert the audio via the spdif to my echo mia soundcard and it works like a charm.

Mar 1, 2005 at 9:56 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
I'm going to make the assumption that agc can screw up fidelity in the sense that it can compress soft passages and loud passages, if this is the case it's a big no-no and i don't think the njb3 offers it. For what it's worth, MD is very stealthable but i had so many issues when i used my DR7 that i gave up on it quickly (pause/play button not responding). Switching discs alone is enough for any taper to drive him/her mad.

I personally use my dat for stealth taping and so far i've had no issues sneaking it in and using a DDS1 dat tape which offers 3 hrs of recording time. From there i use my tascam da20 to convert the audio via the spdif to my echo mia soundcard and it works like a charm.

I dont think it compresses soft passages, but there is a discernable distortion when peak levels are suddenly approached. I still much prefer it to adjusting my line in levels on my own... I trade minimal distortion and the pleasure of not monitoring levels for obnoxious clipping and level monitoring
smily_headphones1.gif

I borrowed a friend's dat recently for a show and I enjoyed it... great results too. Noticibly more sensitive than the md. Just too rich for my blood
cool.gif

May 15, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #22 of 26
I thought I'd post some follow up to my original request for advice. My request was actually looking for a system for my wife. She tends to be technophobic so simplicity is important.

I went with a 20G iPod and iTalk for recording. She is absolutely thrilled with it. It is compact, easy for her to use and the quality is more than adequate. Her music teacher who is a prfessional musician and originally reccomended a minidisc recorder has been impressed with system. He has reccomended to other students and started a trend.

I also set my wife up some external speakers at home and the Monster iCarPlay Wireless Plus car adapter. She uses all of it.

Although not up to typical Head-Fi quality, it is a system that works well for my wife. And I think she is now a little more understanding of my gadgets.

May 16, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #23 of 26
Glad to hear it's worked out for you. And sorry I didn't come through with the recording... I didn't manage to get hold of the iPod before I forgot this thread
biggrin.gif

As I wrote before, I found it hard to beat for sheer convenience and as you say 'technophobes' it's a godsend. I have a 70+ year old client who is a rabid technophobe and I recommended he get the iPod and iTalk to dictate his book over a USB dictaphone (which I know he was already confused with). The secretary definitely, and I must admit even I was taken aback when he presented her with a burned CD of each recording like it was no big deal.

May 16, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The secretary definitely, and I must admit even I was taken aback when he presented her with a burned CD of each recording like it was no big deal.

Yes, my wife was also shocked at how easy it is (clicking yes in one dialog box) to transfer the files to the computer via iTunes.

May 16, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #25 of 26
I would have said that the iRiver devices which have an internal mic and a line in would be superior to an iPod with iTalk or a MD/HiMD.

The big problem with HiMD is SonicStage. Which amongst other problems can trash your recording during the transfer back to the PC. Earlier MD units compress the recording so sound quality is affected. With the iPod the sound quality is going to be poor.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #26 of 26
What format is your music that you want to record ?
Do you have line out, headset out, or do you need a mic?

The Sony icd px440 handheld has mic or line input settings.
4gb storage but up to 192k Mp3 record.

Ruizu x20 has a mic, but no line in,
8 or 16 gb internal and can record
In wav 1536, 1024, 768, 512kbps,
And mp3 format at 192, 128, 64, or 32kbps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back