Best desktop speakers that have XLR ins?
Aug 28, 2015 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mediahound

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for recommendations on powered desktop speakers that have XLR ins. I'd like a good full range response since I will probably not use a subwoofer but would be willing to consider a 2.1 system with a sub too.  

Any recommendations?

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 14
Budget?

Studio monitors typically have XLR inputs.

Thanks, budget is not really an issue although I don't want something super heavy or large.

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 14
Sorry. I don't know what super heavy or large means to you either.

But here's a full range studio monitor: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/8050BPM

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #5 of 14
All active near field studio monitors will have XLR inputs. If you don't want a sub (and why should you?) you might get away with models with 5" drivers (50-55Hz) but to be on the safe side 7"- 8" (40-45Hz)or even 3 ways or twins (30-40Hz) would be more appropriate.

Once you eliminate the products aimed at customers who cannot afford the real thing and those for people with too much money you will find studio monitors fall into 3 broad categories.

Entry level or bedroom studio quality. Often very good nowadays. Usually come with a 1-2 year guarantee. Classic current example JBL LSR308.

Mid range or project studio quality. Usually a little more refined and with better room correction features than the above. Quality parts means you now typically get a 3-5 year warranty. Classic example Mackie HR824.

High end or pro studio quality. More powerful and precise again. Top quality parts and labour. Expect a 5-7 year warranty and sophisticated controls and design. Classic example are the Event Opal.

So taking the popular German brand ADAM as an example you can get the entry level F7 for ~E600 the pair, the project studio A7X for ~E1.200 the pair and the pro studio S2X for ~E3,000 the pair.

After that it starts to get really expensive very quickly with Focal Twins and 3 way Genelecs as popular examples. That's all for near field monitors. Mid and Main monitoring systems can easily cost $50,000 and up but there are some aspirational brands that make transmission line near fields such as PMC and ATC . These will still set you back up to $10,000 a pair.

Don't forget to include a good audio interface or monitor controller in your total budget.

If you could give some indication of how far you were prepared to go, where you live and where the speakers would be used I could make more specific recommendations.

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 14
I'm considering the Emotiva 6s or 5s. Any opinions on these for the price? They are $500 and $400 respectively. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 14
So you do have a budget :wink:

According to the specs, the 6s have about 10 more hz in lower bass extension. Since you said you wanted full range, this seems the better choice.

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #9 of 14
It's more a size/weight thing, than price. 

I have a sit-stand desk that the speakers need to be on. I don't want something super heavy since that might be too heavy for the adjustable height desk. 

Any others I would do better considering than the Emotivas?

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #10 of 14
First, as I said, I have no idea what super heavy means to you. You have to be more specific than that. That means different things to different people. (lol)

The Emotivas may only be a marginal upgrade to you over the Audioengine A5 listed in your sig. Maybe you'll like them a lot better; maybe not. Although the Emotiva 6s will have deeper bass extension than the A5s will without a sub. But not than with the sub.

If you are looking for a significant sound upgrade, get out of the similar price class since people generally consider the Audioengines decent in the <$500/pair speaker class. Look at the Genelecs and the Adam A5X.

Aug 29, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 14
I haven't heard them, but they are supposed to be very good sounding speakers.

Their specs indicate you might not get any deeper bass extension than the A5s. But if that's not enough, you could always get a sub :)

Another speaker you might research is the KEF LS50. Not XLR, not even powered. But considered fantastic speakers.

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #13 of 14
So. You want more power, depth and refinement than you currently get with 5" powered hi-fi speakers. You don't want the boxes to be much bigger or heavier. You predominately want to listen in the near field from, more or less, one position.  You'd prefer to spend less than $1,000 but could go a bit higher if you were convinced it was the right product for you.

I don't normally recommend a 2.1 system as a first option but in your use case I think it might be the best solution.

Since you are going to have a sub anyway you could save some space and money by getting a pair of good quality 4" mains. You should be able to site a small sub more or less out of the way and still get a decent, smooth low end at your primary listening position. At a push you could sit on it.

So this would be my first choice. EVE SC204 + EVE TS107.

http://www.musictech.net/2014/03/eve-audio-sc204-ts107-review/
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar14/articles/eve-sc204-ts107.htm
http://www.eve-audio.com/index.php?page=SC204
http://www.eve-audio.com/index.php?page=TS107

It's not the cheapest option but it does have several valuable features not found on alternatives. All the units are digitally controlled with built in DSP to provide unrivalled room correction and adjustment. All system parameters, including overall system volume, can be adjusted with the supplied remote control. The mains are tiny and come with excellent mounting options including a back plate for flying them from a bracket or mounting on a stand. you can even use a standard adjustable mic stand via the socket on the bottom.

They really are the best integrated small sub and satellites I have come across. see the reviews. Very smooth. All speakers are to some extent a series of compromises and trade offs. I like the EVE house sound for music. A touch dry in the midrange.

For a bit less you could pair a set of ADAM A3X with an ADAM Sub 7. You lose the most sophisticated controls, including system volume on the remote. The characteristic house sound emphasises  a clean and detailed midrange which makes them ideal multimedia monitors because you can always pick up the dialogue.

or there is an even cheaper option. Get the widely recommended, slightly larger JBL LSR305 together with the matching sub.

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #14 of 14
  So. You want more power, depth and refinement than you currently get with 5" powered hi-fi speakers. You don't want the boxes to be much bigger or heavier. You predominately want to listen in the near field from, more or less, one position.  You'd prefer to spend less than $1,000 but could go a bit higher if you were convinced it was the right product for you.

I don't normally recommend a 2.1 system as a first option but in your use case I think it might be the best solution.

Since you are going to have a sub anyway you could save some space and money by getting a pair of good quality 4" mains. You should be able to site a small sub more or less out of the way and still get a decent, smooth low end at your primary listening position. At a push you could sit on it.

So this would be my first choice. EVE SC204 + EVE TS107.

http://www.musictech.net/2014/03/eve-audio-sc204-ts107-review/
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar14/articles/eve-sc204-ts107.htm
http://www.eve-audio.com/index.php?page=SC204
http://www.eve-audio.com/index.php?page=TS107

It's not the cheapest option but it does have several valuable features not found on alternatives. All the units are digitally controlled with built in DSP to provide unrivalled room correction and adjustment. All system parameters, including overall system volume, can be adjusted with the supplied remote control. The mains are tiny and come with excellent mounting options including a back plate for flying them from a bracket or mounting on a stand. you can even use a standard adjustable mic stand via the socket on the bottom.

They really are the best integrated small sub and satellites I have come across. see the reviews. Very smooth. All speakers are to some extent a series of compromises and trade offs. I like the EVE house sound for music. A touch dry in the midrange.

For a bit less you could pair a set of ADAM A3X with an ADAM Sub 7. You lose the most sophisticated controls, including system volume on the remote. The characteristic house sound emphasises  a clean and detailed midrange which makes them ideal multimedia monitors because you can always pick up the dialogue.

or there is an even cheaper option. Get the widely recommended, slightly larger JBL LSR305 together with the matching sub.

Thanks! I really appreciate the information . This gives me more to consider. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back