Best desktop computer setup for BASS
Jun 8, 2014 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

alecenriquez

New Head-Fier
Yo. Here's the quick rundown:

I'm trying to get a very bassy computer setup that accompanies my heavy music listening requirements. I basically listen to only electronic music, with an emphasis on dubstep and trap. Needless to say, I like and need bass. I also live in a tiny studio apartment, one where if I stand in the middle of my studio (which would be my bed), I could reach any other part of my apartment in less than 5 steps. So it's not too much trouble to create loud sound in a room like this, but I would like to have enough bass to preferably shake my walls. (It's the summer and no one is in the building for the next couple months except me lol). On to what I have.

I have a set of very inexpensive logitech 5.1 speakers that are doing fine in the room, but I think I need something with much heavier on the bass. I also have about 200 dollars saved up that I'm ready to part with.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Sound-Speakers-Z506/dp/B003VAK1FA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1402217114&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+5.1+speakers

My questions are:
What should I buy?
Can I somehow utilize my logitech speakers?

I would love to buy a sub like this one for example (i've seen it for 200 frequently), but then I think I would need to buy a couple of satellites, right? If there's a way to somehow use my little logitech speakers and this, I'm all ears.
http://www.amazon.com/PSW505-12-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer-Single/dp/B000092TT0

Should I buy a couple of bookshelf speakers? Could I hook up the above sub to these? This would go above what I have, but maybe I can sell some stuff.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051WAM64?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=as2

I also saw this and thought about a simple upgrade, but I'm scared it won't be that much more bass
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000402-Speaker-System-Z623/dp/B003VAHYTG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402217874&sr=8-1&keywords=z623

Lmk if you have any ideas or suggestions. I'm completely open to new products or anything, just as long as it's bassy and around 200 dollars. Thanks

*Note: I know that this isn't very optimal stuff, but I don't have much money obviously and can't be dropping buckets of cash on speakers. Really I'm just trying to get the best bass for what I can buy. I don't need anything audiophile worthy.

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 13
Sub http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-1200-12-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B00669L3HS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1402225370&sr=1-1&keywords=dayton+subwoofer
amp http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1402225485&sr=1-1&keywords=amplifier

speakers http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B002RMPHMU/ref=sr_1_8?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1402227348&sr=1-8&keywords=speakers

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 13
I've actually come across that sub before. That entire system looks great but the desktop speakers seem to have some recent negative reviews. Should I look passed this or maybe just pick up a different pair?

Also, I noticed the sub is active but the speakers aren't. Is there an advantage to having the amp and two passive speakers as opposed to buying a pair of active speakers with the system?

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 13

I use a 12" powered sub with my computer audio setup.  It will shake the walls for you, if that's what you want.  It doesn't matter to the sound whether your speakers are powered internally or externally.  I use an old stereo receiver I took out of the closet to drive mine.  Powered speakers might be more convenient, if that's an option, because the amps will be inconspicuous and take up no room on or around your computer desk.

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 13
One way to reuse your 5.1 speakers is to get a subwoofer that has Line in and Line out (not speaker line in/out). Connect your pc to the sub's line in, then sub's line out to your Z506's RCA in. The bad thing about this is that it will only use 2 of your satellites. However, with the additional sub, you would have a 2.2 speaker setup.  

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 13
  One way to reuse your 5.1 speakers is to get a subwoofer that has Line in and Line out (not speaker line in/out). Connect your pc to the sub's line in, then sub's line out to your Z506's RCA in. The bad thing about this is that it will only use 2 of your satellites. However, with the additional sub, you would have a 2.2 speaker setup.  

I love this idea, but I can't seem to find any subs that have any line out option. lmk if you know of any

Grab these Pioneer Andrew Jones bookshelves today while they are on sale. You can't do better for under $100.

Then get this Lepai t-amp. That would leave you about enough for the Dayton sub.

I saw these yesterday and they did catch my interest. I'm a little hesitant about buying the speaker-amp combo though because the amp has such a low wattage output. Have you tried that particular pair before and had no difficulties? I'm just scared the speakers resistance will be too high for the amp at higher volumes

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 13

I love this idea, but I can't seem to find any subs that have any line out option. lmk if you know of any

my sub has it. However, i don't think it's being made anymore.  Click on my sig. Another sub that has this is the Audioengine S8 

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 13
Do you guys know if it would be better to wait for some more money and pick up the Polk PSW505 or just pick up the Dayton Sub 1200 now with the the money I have

Also, what about this amp?
http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-168HA-40-Watt-Amplifier-Output/dp/B0070Z87YO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1402271720&sr=1-2&keywords=lepai+lp

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 13
I saw these yesterday and they did catch my interest. I'm a little hesitant about buying the speaker-amp combo though because the amp has such a low wattage output. Have you tried that particular pair before and had no difficulties? I'm just scared the speakers resistance will be too high for the amp at higher volumes

Well, you are pretty budget challenged to be picky. There is no high output amp option for you with what you have to spend. You could look on your local Craigslist and get a used audio/video receiver. Get one with a subwoofer output. That would have the advantage of being able to set a higher crossover. But it will cost more than $25.

Meanwhile, it takes double the wattage to get +3db more sound, and approximately +10db more sound is a perceived doubling of volume by the listener. So the difference between say a 25 watt and 50 watt amp is not as much as you might think. So yes. This amp will provide reasonable volume for filling a room, although certainly it will not get super loud.

Do you guys know if it would be better to wait for some more money and pick up the Polk PSW505 or just pick up the Dayton Sub 1200 now with the the money I have

Well, you need speakers to pair with it, too. Your current setup is not designed to integrate a different subwoofer.

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #11 of 13
Well, you are pretty budget challenged to be picky. There is no high output amp option for you with what you have to spend. You could look on your local Craigslist and get a used audio/video receiver. Get one with a subwoofer output. That would have the advantage of being able to set a higher crossover. But it will cost more than $25.

Meanwhile, it takes double the wattage to get +3db more sound, and approximately +10db more sound is a perceived doubling of volume by the listener. So the difference between say a 25 watt and 50 watt amp is not as much as you might think. So yes. This amp will provide reasonable volume for filling a room, although certainly it will not get super loud.
Well, you need speakers to pair with it, too. Your current setup is not designed to integrate a different subwoofer.

Yeah I mean't as the additional sub on top of the pioneer speakers. The thing is, I can get more money, it just takes time. If I were to get some more money, what amp would be optimal for the pioneer speakers you suggested (probably less than 100$)?

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #12 of 13
I would get the Pioneer speakers, and then shop my local Craiglist for a receiver with your current budget. You ought to be able to find a receiver for under $100.

Then save up for a sub. The Dayton is quite good for the money. But then subs go up in quality as you go up in price. It all depends on what you want to spend. I have two 18" sealed subs in my living room with a separate home audio subwoofer amp. I doubt you want to go that far :D

This budget subwoofer discussion thread over at AVS forum is a good place to learn about budget sub options. You'll find that the Dayton is often recommended for under $200.

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #13 of 13
Alright so I think I'm going to pick up that little amp for now with the two pioneer satellites, plus the dayton 1200. Hopefully I can pick up a better amp/receiver in time. Thanks for all the help and I'll let you know how it goes. Obviously if anyone has any other ideas, feel free to let me know lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back