Best desktop amp or amp/DAC, $400 budget
Jul 30, 2009 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bgstern

Head-Fier
I was hoping someone wise here could offer me some advice or suggestions. I am in the market to purchase a desktop amp, or an amp/DAC combo. My budget is around $400.

I have access to a cheap 0404 USB so I could use that as DAC and just spend on a higher quality amp, or I could get an integrated amp/DAC, which may offer an improvement in the DAC.

I am not against either tube or solid state. Just what is the best bang for the buck, and also something that would pair very well with my HD650's.

The best ideas I've had so far:
- Audio-gd Compass (incredibly good value amp/DAC?)
- Elekit TU-882 (heard it at a meet and loved it, but I'd have to use the 0404)

So in a nutshell I'd like to know:
1. Where is my money best spent?
2. What good equipment recommendations do you have?

Thanks in advance!!!

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 4
My compass just came in today, and so far it kicks ass with the HD650s. Nothing like my old balanced CKK3 and Opus, but still pretty good for the price.

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 4
I second the recommendations for a CK2III ... DIY for like $170 or you could commission a build. I've only heard the compass rather briefly, but as far as I could tell, the CK2III had better synergy with Sennheisers and is a really bang for the buck amp. Bass is solid and mids are very nice, I will say I have heard amps with better soundstage with the Senns, but you will definitely pay more for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back