Best deal on a DAC for under 1000 dollars?
Mar 4, 2019 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

VocaloidDude

500+ Head-Fier
I just need a DAC, I'm tired of looking. I currently use the Modi 3. I have Sennheiser HD800 headphones and Sennheiser HDVA600 amp. I've been messing around with self powered studio monitors and passive loudspeakers and I'm thinking of getting a vintage receiver for my passive loudspeakers. Your help would be appreciated.

Things I'd like:

- Balanced and AV output options
- Optic and USB capability
- Not remote controlled (and if remote controlled, then dedicated buttons to circumvent the remote if you lose it)

- Dedicated DAC, not DAC/AMP or wild receivers with a million options I don't need (I like to have dedicated components so I can mix and match and upgrade different parts later, and I do plan on having dedicated amps)

- Neutral, smooth treble and midsection, not bright, fatiguing or hash in any way whatsoever. Good sound stage and bass extension would obviously be a plus, but all these factors come at a higher price, I'm sure.

I passed on the Gungnir because it made everything I have bright, and I kept needing to mess around with the EQ and it never sounded good. Your help would be strong, strongly appreciated. It would help me overcome one of my biggest headaches right now and end this incessant, infernal search, so I can get back to reading The Odyssey.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 18
Audio-gd R-1. It checks all of the boxes you mentioned and sounds great!

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 18
Did you try the Gungnir or the Gungnir Multibit (Gumby)?

I happen to have a HD800/HDVA600 combo as well and personally think it sounds really great with the Gumby as a source ... very smooth and not overly bright.

Maybe attempting an SDR-mod on the HD800 would be worth considering as well.

Cheers

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 18
You may want to consider an R2R DAC,which typically sound more analog than D/S DACs.
Audio GD makes some nice sounding DACs at a good price. Ordering from their site can be odd,but theyre legit.

Mar 4, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 18
What is an R2R DAC?

Its a different design of the DAC vs. your normal delta/sigma design. You mentioned:

Neutral, smooth treble and midsection, not bright, fatiguing or hash in any way whatsoever.

To me that sounds like you want an R2R design,and you just dont realize it.

From my understanding the Schiit multibit DACs are similar to R2R. Im not a huge fan of Schiit DACs(though I havent heard the newest Yggy,which many rave about)

My suggestion is to try and find a cheaper R2R design DAC in the classifieds,try it out and see if thats the sound you prefer. If so,resell and grab a more expensive R2R DAC and be done with it.

For more info try reading these threads.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/r2r...e-scientific-difference-thats-audible.779572/

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tho...-just-to-get-you-to-think-about-stuff.693798/

Mar 4, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #8 of 18
The Parasound Zdac looks perfect. I just read the Innerfidelity review. I'll probably be getting that, although the RME AD Converter ADI2DAC looks like a decent option as well, if a bit pricey. I'll have to see if I can get some comparisons between the two, because expensive doesn't always mean better.

Mar 4, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #9 of 18
Its a different design of the DAC vs. your normal delta/sigma design. You mentioned:

To me that sounds like you want an R2R design,and you just dont realize it.

From my understanding the Schiit multibit DACs are similar to R2R. Im not a huge fan of Schiit DACs(though I havent heard the newest Yggy,which many rave about)

My suggestion is to try and find a cheaper R2R design DAC in the classifieds,try it out and see if thats the sound you prefer. If so,resell and grab a more expensive R2R DAC and be done with it.

For more info try reading these threads.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/r2r...e-scientific-difference-thats-audible.779572/

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tho...-just-to-get-you-to-think-about-stuff.693798/
I'll consider it. R2R dacs don't seem that easy to track down, google isn't helpful for comparing different R2R dacs.

Mar 4, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #10 of 18
Scroll thru the DAC section of this site,and read the various comments in each thread. That should give you an idea of what each DAC offers.
I currently own a Vinshine R2R Reference 1 as my daily DAC. In the past Ive owned an Audio GD R2R-11 and a vintage EAD DSP-7000 MkIII,all of which are R2R DACs.

Mar 4, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #12 of 18
It looks like the Audio-gd R-1 will be the DAC I'm going to get. I'll update the thread once I get it with my impressions, if I remember to do that.

Mar 4, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 18
Mar 4, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #14 of 18
Wow, it sure does. It's an R2R DAC as well. That website is really weird though.

It is. They're a small shop. All their gear is designed by one dude, Kingwa, and all handmade. Their shipping notification is weird also because smaller shop = smaller overseas courier, and DHL in the US. Never had a problem with either of my shipments arriving though. But just be warned-- you might need to look for your shipping notification email in the junk mail/spam folder. If it means anything, the hassle is worth it; I plan on ordering the R-28 when I've saved up enough.

The predecessor to the R-1 (which is my current DAC) is exceptional at this price. Natural, smooth, wonderfully musical even-order harmonics, yet detailed and not at all fatiguing, plus great bass retrieval. Also, well-built with quality parts. The chassis is the size it is because of all the electronics they cram into it.

Mar 4, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #15 of 18
It is. They're a small shop. All their gear is designed by one dude, Kingwa, and all handmade. Their shipping notification is weird also because smaller shop = smaller overseas courier, and DHL in the US. Never had a problem with either of my shipments arriving though. But just be warned-- you might need to look for your shipping notification email in the junk mail/spam folder. If it means anything, the hassle is worth it; I plan on ordering the R-28 when I've saved up enough.

The predecessor to the R-1 (which is my current DAC) is exceptional at this price. Natural, smooth, wonderfully musical even-order harmonics, yet detailed and not at all fatiguing, plus great bass retrieval. Also, well-built with quality parts. The chassis is the size it is because of all the electronics they cram into it.
It sounds like it will be perfect in every way, a true gem. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back