Best Daytona Ever?...
Feb 20, 2005 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RickG

Electrostatic Elvis
"What more could you ask for at the Daytona 500? You had four lead changes in the last nine laps,"

3409002_18_2.jpg

So many lead changes...Dale Jr.creeps up from behind and takes the lead, Gordon wins...

That was the most exiciting finish I've seen in a NASCAR race!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/cup/...Id=20050220001

What a race!

cool.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 12
And fox pretty much missed the winning pass, to really top off their usual top-notch job.
By the way, did any one else notice junior bottom out there in the last turn before being passed? Seemed to slow him just enough, so that gordon could finally make that outside line work out.
Could have used some more commercials to break up the action.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #3 of 12
Crybaby Gordan wins again.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 12
Yes it was a great finish.
I enjoyed watching the race on TV today. I think it was one of the most exciting races I've seen in a long time.

I wanted to Tony Stewart to win.
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 12
Yeah, that was a great race. Some nice crashes, and no injuries!

That one announcer was awful though, the one with the thick southern accent. "Yep, and they've got no periphrial (seriously, that's how he said it) vision in them cars!"

Feb 21, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 12
Awesome race. I was rooting for Mark Martin, but he just didn't have the car today to get the win. If Mark couldn't get it, I was pulling for Kurt, and, man, did he make some choice moves to get to 2nd -- that kid is an impressive driver. Dale Jr. was something else right at the end there. Tony had no friends, and Jimmie really made a point of making a point of that on the track. Unbelievably fun race to watch.

I always root for the Roush team drivers. With Kurt and Mark in the top 10, they're off to a good start. Carl was impressive. I was bummed about Matt and Greg, though.

b.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 12
Rusty can leave the sport holding his head high after making the top 10.

Feb 21, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
Awesome race. I was rooting for Mark Martin, but he just didn't have the car today to get the win. If Mark couldn't get it, I was pulling for Kurt, and, man, did he make some choice moves to get to 2nd -- that kid is an impressive driver. Dale Jr. was something else right at the end there. Tony had no friends, and Jimmie really made a point of making a point of that on the track. Unbelievably fun race to watch.

I always root for the Roush team drivers. With Kurt and Mark in the top 10, they're off to a good start. Carl was impressive. I was bummed about Matt and Greg, though.

b.gif

Yeah, the dynamic at the end was really interesting. Busch was really saving something. And once Johnson saw that he could'nt win, he carefully boxed out Stewart.

The TV coverage was pretty lame this year, I thought... Fox needs to hire good 'ol Eli Gold!

Feb 21, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 12
I enjoyed the race...was gratified to hear the quote "they just ganged up on him" about Stewart...looks like he will need some more anger management training...

I was saddened and maddened about the raw racing luck that Casey Kahne got...pinned in his pits twice by others...and then run into by wayward competitors, and then run into the wall...he should have finished up in top five...I have been watching him race since he was about 14...He will soon be a top name...(should have happened already)

Feb 21, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

"What more could you ask for at the Daytona 500?

well maybe a win by Jr........

The race WAS shaping up to be a classsic finish and yes I enjoyed the last 20 laps immensley but it would have been sooooooo mush better without that last caution and the green/white checker.

better than finishing under yellow but i like my three four lap shootouts over a one lap deal that is really not the measure of the drivers OR the cars.Just not enough time to make anything happen

BTW-Martin/Rusty one and two would have been awsome to see.These two have always been class acts and we will not see their like again when they retire at the end of the year.
NASCAAR and the drivers have changed and i am not entirely sure for the better

Feb 21, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
BTW-Martin/Rusty one and two would have been awsome to see.These two have always been class acts and we will not see their like again when they retire at the end of the year.
NASCAAR and the drivers have changed and i am not entirely sure for the better

Agreed. What an irony that neither of these super-veterans won the Daytona 500 and Martin just missed the championship so many times.
plainface.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Rusty can leave the sport holding his head high after making the top 10.

Rusty's leaving? Shows how long it's been since I've seen a race. They don't show nascar races here.

It' was Rusty and Kenny that got dad into watching nascar. Anyone remember when Kenny was driving the Cox sponsored car in Bucshe? Dad was a big reseller of Cox Lumber and was tight with the guys who were sponsoring the car, so he got invited to some races. Dad's introduction into what racing was, was them in some Lake House party thing. Kenny sits beside him, pops open a cold one and tells dad that the interesting thing about the World 600 is that these cars can only go 500 miles.

I've also got Rusty's business card in my wallet. Never used it though.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back