Best DAP's for Ampless Use?
Aug 31, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #31 of 44
I owned an iAudio X5L and now I use a Toshiba Gigabeat F40, both were Rockboxed. I use Shure e500's, and I've generally found the outputs on both to be equally as good. The X5L (obviously) has a bit better battery life, but the F40 has more space, a better screen, faster processor, and runs Rockbox better. I also much prefer the design.

The iAudio also makes use of a terrible proprietary adapter.

Aug 31, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very happy for you. Try the Rock eq setting with your ER4P.

Excellent recommendation, I was using bass boost 1 for the etys (although they don't need it necessarily, I just listen to a lot of electronica) but the rock setting sounds even better.

Sep 12, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't livewires ultra sensitive to hiss?

They're sensitive to poor sources. Garbage in garbage out.

iRivers Clix2 Second generation players have excellent SQ. The bonus is the amoled display. I never thought I would/could ever watch a film on this, but crystal clear pictures coupled with fantastic sound means I'm watching films far more than I should. I love it's portability.

My Livewires are currently being made.
cool.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #34 of 44
I have to agree, I've used a lot of headphones with my Zune, and I'm quite pleased. The price is dropping rapidly, and a HD swap is very easy to do. It doesn't have a fully controllable equalizer, but it's got a wide variety of settings.

That said, I've heard good things about the iaudio. I don't have experience myself, but I've read a lot of good things about it.

As far as the obscure sony goes, I read something about the old player they put out awhile back being the choice for audiophiles on some british review site. Most likely a bunch of hooey, but if you want to look, its the VGF-Ap1L.

Sep 12, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeIdiot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent recommendation, I was using bass boost 1 for the etys (although they don't need it necessarily, I just listen to a lot of electronica) but the rock setting sounds even better.

Excellent. Now you can sell your other IEMs.
lambda.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why not get the Zune and do the rapidrepair mod to 100-120GB HDD drive ?

Ricardo, do you have a link for that?

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #39 of 44
Sep 17, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #40 of 44
"The Zune’s sound quality is good and will suffice for the majority of users, but if sound quality is a very important feature, you may want to look elsewhere. The very high end and the very low end are somewhat blurry, but something you can only tell with a really nice set of headphones and some critical listening. Sound quality is average at moderate listening levels, but tends to fall flat and louder volumes.

Exactly. For general use, I'd go with the Zune. I've compared it next to my ipods, and it's a lot better. And a few Sandisk players, but they don't even come close. And the mod is easy to do with a bit of know-how.

Sep 17, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #42 of 44
does anyone find it ironic that apple has the majority of the marketshare.. yet no one thinks of iPods when they think of good sound quality? what does that mean, that this is all a marketing ploy? or maybe the average american doesn't care for good sound.

anyways, i've 2 iAudios and a Sandisk Sansa e260...

i kept the sansa for 2 weeks and got rid of it (due to super inferior SQ). love my iAudio, but my main gripe is that they don't offer playlists..

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone find it ironic that apple has the majority of the marketshare.. yet no one thinks of iPods when they think of good sound quality? what does that mean, that this is all a marketing ploy? or maybe the average american doesn't care for good sound.

Apple never claimed that the iPod had great sound quality. What Apple has promoted the iPod for is the cool factor, and in that sense yes, they are correct, the iPod is the coolest (and most well known) DAP out there. And yes, being cool is more important than sound quality to the average consumer (not just Americans BTW).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back