Apr 8, 2011 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fuseboxx

500+ Head-Fier
My top 2 choices right now are:

Cowon J3
Nationite S:Flo2

I'm looking for a DAP that:
- can play AVI video and MP3 audio
- doesn't need the inconvenience of a program (like iTunes) for your PC to interface with the DAP
- FM radio is a plus, but just nice-to-have and not a necessity
- is not too bulky
- isn't as expensive as an iPod

What would you guys recommend other than the J3 and the Sflo2? And if you agree that those are the two best choices, which of the two would you pick?

Thanks!

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 8
What quality of video are you looking to play? These players don't quite play the 720p files you download from the net because of cpu power and support for low level encodes on only.

You will still need to reencode the videos to low form 720p.

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
guys...

Cowon J3 vs iPod Touch 4

thoughts?

I think the J3 plays more video formats without need for conversion....and of course those videos that play on it can presumably be drag/dropped onto it. Videos on the Touch have to be loaded with iTunes, as far as I know....even though other programs(Mediamonkey, foobar2k) work for just music loading....I've got a couple of video converters and a dvd ripper with a built-in setting for my Touch, so format support hasn't been an issue for me.

The screen really is awesome on the Touch 4, but the J3 owners will say the same about the J3, I'm sure. The J3 has better battery life than the Touch 4 audio-wise, probably video-wise as well.  The wonderful Equalizer and EQu apps that work so well on the Touch aren't available when watching video. I don't know if the JetEffects(BBE, etc.) of the J3 are available during video or not.

It seems like most of the Cowon fans here are anti-Apple, and that may well be reflected in other replies you get.....I have both a Touch 4 and a Cowon i9(same sound as J3 but smaller screen and battery life) and I like them both. Hope this post was helpful, and good luck!
L3000.gif

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #8 of 8
I'll say the following...

I haven't used the Tough 4g, but I love the J3... Here is why... (that to my knowledge Apple Touch 4g does not have)

64hrs battery life
Fully adjustable and customizable 5 band hardware based EQ (Yes, I know about EQu, but that is not hardware based) Oh right and it works in video
BBE and other JetEffects enhancements(amazing)
Flash support (swf, not flv)
Drag and drop ability
Ability to use a multitude of file formats
A hell of a driver... Can drive most headphones you can throw at it (within reason of course)
AMOLED screen
TACTILE BUTTONS (one of the huge deciding factors for me)
Expandable memory

I think that is it... I am not saying that Apple Touch 4g is not a fantastic device because it is, but it is inferior as a general music and video player that is portable. The lack of tactile buttons, and the lesser battery life kill the possibility for an iTouch 4g in my mind as a top tier DAP. The only thing that it has on the J3 is the wifi and apps. Neither of which are necessary for a quality DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back