Best dap for streaming services in offline mode
May 21, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #31 of 49
As it's now 2018 what's the options now or coming for an Android based DAP that will do Tidal and Spotify offline without upscaling, great audio quality, 4.4mm balanced and good battery life?

All I can find at the moment is a DX200 with Amp4. Battery life only 7hrs.
Bump, same question here, seems like the recent new option was the bit Opus 3# which uses the good (but very old) PCM1792A?

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #34 of 49
Ahh,.. finally found this Thread... I am also looking for for offline Spotify DAP, which can store in SD card will be a great additional benefit.

my eyes are on to X5iii, but reading the page before, I will try HTC 10 ..
edit : already try HTC 10 (COworker) is not even better than my NOTE 8, IMO. but considering due to price and also availability (no New).

not complaining about hearing music quality from NOTE 8, but since is my daily smartphone, the batteries runs very fast... need to charge up to 3x a day, must always nearby power outlet....

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #35 of 49
Subscribed, need the this feature too.

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #36 of 49
Tidal offline works just fine on fiio x7ii and x5iii if, and only if, you select 1 or more seconds Crossfade in the tidal settings.

Some claim to hear a quality degrade when this is done because Android mixer is involved when crossfading. I can hear a very slight difference. Very slight

Otherwise, skips and stuttering happen on fiio still if no Crossfade is selected.

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #39 of 49
Can do Offline?
I'm not certain, but I'd think so... it has storage and uses tidal app. would have to think it allows download just like the fiio does. This is android, not the Astell Kern system (which only allows streaming of tidal).

That said, I consider offline an absolute must for two reasons. First off, wifi can degrade quality by causing interference issues - I can clearly hear it when wifi is on and I'm using my fiio - it's very audible during soft passages. (But I suppose its possible to design wifi without it causing interference). Secondly, wifi isn't everywhere - train, plane, car, work, etc.

No tidal offline (or) if it does any sort of SRC - not getting my money.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #40 of 49
FiiO X7ii or Hiby R6 will do this really well

Aug 11, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #41 of 49
yeah, but the fiio x5iii and x7ii both make a glitching sound after a few tracks when using tidal. I owned both, and was able to defeat this by switching crossfade to one second in tidal settings. But invoking this feature calls the android mixer into play (I think) and resamples to 48khz to achieve song overlap. So while the glitching is solved, the quality takes a nice step backward with certain IEMs.

I've just learned to skip forward and back to reset the track when the glitching comes - then I'm good for 4 more songs or so. Generally, I'm happy, but that R6 is looking more tempting every day.

Aug 12, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #42 of 49
After a bit of research and trying the fiio x5iii, I ended up getting a Pioneer XDP-300r and have been overall happy with it. I use Tidal offline. There are a few quirks that come up now and again but the app is about 80% as good as it is on my phone. Rarely skips, but the interface is a tad slower than my phone and it can be laggy occasionally. WiFi is a bit finicky sometimes which is annoying when your downloading tracks, but not that bad.

Much better than the x5iii I had for a couple weeks though. That skipped and lagged so much I returned it.

Caveat is that I’m only using internal storage for now, but when I was researching people said the SD card slots work fine too. I have one coming from amazon so should know in the next couple days.

For those that might not know, this is essentially the same player as the Onkyo DP-x1, but without the headphone jack issues that the dp-x1a is known to have.

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #43 of 49
I'm not certain, but I'd think so... it has storage and uses tidal app. would have to think it allows download just like the fiio does. This is android, not the Astell Kern system (which only allows streaming of tidal).

That said, I consider offline an absolute must for two reasons. First off, wifi can degrade quality by causing interference issues - I can clearly hear it when wifi is on and I'm using my fiio - it's very audible during soft passages. (But I suppose its possible to design wifi without it causing interference). Secondly, wifi isn't everywhere - train, plane, car, work, etc.

No tidal offline (or) if it does any sort of SRC - not getting my money.

Already have X5iii in hand, update all firmware available (latest 1.2.1). download all my Spotify offline in SD Card, yes it works. been using for 3 hours, no problem is just like my Note 8.
UI interface is Way smoother with NOTE8... but since only for Music, x5 is acceptable...

Sound wise, much better than Note 8. Need to Download the song to get better quality.
Yes, u are right, streaming quality for Spotify is up to 360kbps, while if you download it, u get 360 kbps..

so far really enjoy the X5iii..

Edited : Fiio X5 3rd Gen still have glitch that the download song will dissappear if you turn off the device for more than 3 hours.. thats s@cks

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #44 of 49
Already have X5iii in hand, update all firmware available (latest 1.2.1). download all my Spotify offline in SD Card, yes it works. been using for 3 hours, no problem is just like my Note 8.
UI interface is Way smoother with NOTE8... but since only for Music, x5 is acceptable...

Sound wise, much better than Note 8. Need to Download the song to get better quality.
Yes, u are right, streaming quality for Spotify is up to 360kbps, while if you download it, u get 360 kbps..

so far really enjoy the X5iii..

Edited : Fiio X5 3rd Gen still have glitch that the download song will dissappear if you turn off the device for more than 3 hours.. thats s@cks

If u keep the device on, without Wifi and offline mode, the download still available.. well looks like i need to threat it like Smartphone

Aug 15, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #45 of 49
For streaming offline I use apple iPod 6 128giga and a mojo. 128 giga is for me enough for my streaming offline. I have now added the poly to the mojo and use it to stream online and listen through sd card 400GB. I like this solution because the streaming on apple device is a lot of much better than all daps I tried and the stockage on the poly the best I can expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back