Best DAP for hiking?
Jul 25, 2016 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Solasuke

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for the best DAP to go on an extended hike.

Things that are important:

Battery Life
Viewability of screen outdoors
Easy to use UI

I've seen some stuff by AGPTEK, FiiO, even the old Sansa stuff, but nothing has overly impressed me. I'm not a fan of iTunes, but will an ipod nano be my best bet after all?

Cheers.

Jul 25, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solasuke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for the best DAP to go on an extended hike.

Things that are important:

Battery Life
Viewability of screen outdoors
Easy to use UI

I've seen some stuff by AGPTEK, FiiO, even the old Sansa stuff, but nothing has overly impressed me. I'm not a fan of iTunes, but will an ipod nano be my best bet after all?

Cheers.

Why not just bring extra batteries and solar powerbanks for whatever smartphone you have? You'll need it anyway in case you might need to use it (assuming there's any cel signal). I'd be more sure to pack a pistol and an extra mag than a DAP and expandable storage, because that joke about a kodiak running off thanks to a Justin Bieber ringtone is just that, a joke. A shot to the air can scare off wild animals, and if it doesn't, you can aim the weapon at it, on top of which it will alert rangers within earshot.

Also while the usual logic is high sensitivity+high degree of isolation = less distortion from a smartphone, an IEM that seals your ears too much in that kind of environment will just make an already stealthy big cat even stealthier. A bear could be making a racket and you might not hear it still.

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for your suggestions, however it doesn't really address the requirements I listed. The device isn't for me, and the person in mind does not own, nor want, a smartphone.

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for your suggestions, however it doesn't really address the requirements I listed. The device isn't for me, and the person in mind does not own, nor want, a smartphone.

I would still recommend one of the external battery packs. It will double or triple (or more) the expected battery life, especially if it's only for music. Plus they're light and small enough that they won't cause issues carrying them around.

Not sure of price point, but there are a bunch to choose from:

Fiio X1

Fiio X3

Fiio X5

Sony Walkman (there are a few different models here)

Any of the Cowon models

Etc

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #6 of 8
Fiio X1 would be my choice. Not too big. Uses a microSD for storage, so you can put a lot on there if you want to buy the card. Better built quality and SQ compared to the Sansa players, IMO.

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #7 of 8
Fiio X1 would be my choice. Not too big. Uses a microSD for storage, so you can put a lot on there if you want to buy the card. Better built quality and SQ compared to the Sansa players, IMO.

I own a FiiO X3ii and a Sansa clip zip myself, but my issue with them would be in this case that the screens are very difficult to read outdoors. Also the UIs are a little complex, though perhaps that's as good as one can expect. The person I have this in mind for isn't very tech savvy.
I would still recommend one of the external battery packs. It will double or triple (or more) the expected battery life, especially if it's only for music. Plus they're light and small enough that they won't cause issues carrying them around.

Not sure of price point, but there are a bunch to choose from:

Fiio X1

Fiio X3

Fiio X5

Sony Walkman (there are a few different models here)

Any of the Cowon models

Etc

I'll take a closer look at the Sony and Cowon products thanks. 

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 8
+1000 to the recommendation of the Sony Walkman devices. Please look into

Sony NWZ-A15/A17
or the second generation of the same:
Sony NW-A25/A27

These devices have Excellent UI, Brilliant Screen, Expandable Memory, Bluetooth for File Transfer and Wireless Headphones and best of all, 30-40hrs Battery life.

I have not tried the Cowon Plenue D, but based on the reviews and impressions on the internet, this one gets my vote as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back