Best DAP for ATH-MSR7 (and for my preferences of course).
Oct 7, 2019 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JacentyEsz

New Head-Fier
Hi, after TheBit Opus #1 and iBasso DX120 i am looking for a new DAP.
I have only one headphones - ATH-MSR7.
The music I listen to is hard and heavy (sometimes jazz) but mosty metal music.
I am looking for a DAP with good separation, wide stage, fast and compact bass. Sound rather towards analytical.
About the price....I don't know how to translate it from my currency - it is about 3000 polish zloty - it is about 650-700 EUR.
I was thinking about:
- Shanling M5S
- iBasso DX200
- Cowon Plenue R
- Astell & Kern AK70 MKII or Norma SR15.
Thank you for your help

Oct 7, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 8
Hi @JacentyEsz,

If you can, I would suggest demo the Cowon Plenue D or Plenue D2, either has good synergy with MSR 7.
Subjectively & personally, both have a similar but a more fuller, engaging sound with ridiculously long battery life with useful DSP functionality via Jet Effects than the DX 120.
They definitely have all the things you are looking for, especially if you have a good quality, well recorded source, the Jet Effects settings will also help refine this further.

Cowon Plenue R is a nice choice which has a nice reference sound but similar to the AK DAPs on your list.

I haven't heard the Shanling M5S or DX 200 so can't comment on their sound but from what I've been told by iBasso & others who have the DX 200, it is very similar to the DX 150, just smoother & more refined with a nice analytical edge without being harsh or boring but since I haven't heard the DX 200, I really can't comment on that.

For any currency conversion, I suggest using XE currency converter.

Feel free to ask more if you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Oct 7, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #3 of 8
Hi, @PaganDL thanks for Your answer.
I didn't listen to this player (Cowon Plenue D2) but i heard a lot about his terrible screen and UI :) That's why i didn't add this player to my list. Many people recommend the R model instead the D model. Maybe the R version is better service at the expense of sound? Dunno

PS
About XE currency....

https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=3,000&From=PLN&To=EUR

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 8
AK 70 mkii is going to sound similar to the Opus. Have you looked at the Cayin N5iis? I think it may offer what you're after regarding sound preferences

Oct 9, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 8
Hi, @PaganDL thanks for Your answer.
I didn't listen to this player (Cowon Plenue D2) but i heard a lot about his terrible screen and UI :) That's why i didn't add this player to my list. Many people recommend the R model instead the D model. Maybe the R version is better service at the expense of sound? Dunno

PS
About XE currency....

https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=3,000&From=PLN&To=EUR

Ni problem, @JacentyEsz,

Honestly PD screen & UI isn't as bad as others say though personally in my usage I don't really use it all that much so it doesn't bother me all that much.
Others tend to complain about the screen & UI only because they're used to messing around with smart phones...
The only times it is a very minor inconvenience is when I'm switching from my Reference playlist to the main listing & when one has a thousand plus songs, it can be tedious.
As stated, the PD sound is exceptional so I suggest not leaving it out for consideration.
Also, Jet Effects, the DSP system Cowon uses for sound is better implemented on the PD then PR.

That is correct, Plenue R does have a better UI & screen though the BT connection is a touch slow but still works well though personally I hardly use BT.
But as stated, sound on the PR is good, higher reference level (but not by much against PD & PD 2) but personally & subjectively, it gets a little bland.

So regardless what you end up choosing, you really can't go wrong as the decision is yours at the end of the day & as long as you're happy & the sound is good to you, that's really all that matters...

Also, yes, you found it, XE currency is tied to all the world's major exchange rates so you will get pretty much accurate currency exchange.

Hope you have a great day !

Oct 9, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 8
Yeah, the D2 is getting some solid reviews in reference to the sound quality for sure. Have you looked over the new Hiby R5 at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back