Best DAC with two SPDIF in, 3.1 or more RCA out, and Headphone Out?
Feb 4, 2009 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Alai

500+ Head-Fier
Best DAC with two SPDIF in, 3.1 or more RCA out, and Headphone Out? Not a receiver though, please (unless headphone out is preamp or just line out...).

I'm looking for something around $500 give or take $200. Anyone got any tips?

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #2 of 16
3.1? You looking for a subwoofer output from a DAC?

I have never seen any component with 3 separate pairs of RCA outs, other than a splitter. Maybe if you described your setup, we could find you something more appropriate to your needs.

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 16
Well, I thought, somehow, someone would have made a DAC-only receiver type build... is this not the case?

I'm looking for a DAC that does headphones AND speakers. I want to plug in my headphones into the Heed, plug the Heed into the DAC, and then get a speaker amp and plug those into the DAC. Then get speakers for the speaker amp.

Anyhow, I think I just found a DAC for myself, but it doesn't have these features that I desired. Guess I'm just going to have to settle on a headphone-only DAC.

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 16
Why bother with a headphone amp in the DAC when you have the Heed? The heed is a good amp, especially with the K701.

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 16
Err... I always thought line-out/preamp means without power amping... am I mistaken? Regardless, is there such a DAC as described? I'm guessing no...

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #6 of 16
One of all-in-one audiophile solutions I know is Peachtree Decco or Nova. It has build-in dac, preamp, speaker amp, headphone amp, tube buffer and even an option for networked Sonos. Obviously it won't be as good as separates, but should be great for something like a bedroom system.

6moons audio reviews: Peachtree Audio Nova

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 16
Wow that looks intense. Lol. I was more looking for a DAC only unit, but that thing is impressive.

What do you guys think of Adcom units? The GTP-830 and 750 are about $300 on the used market as is the GDD-1.

Seems like these are fairly good units for speakers, but I haven't seen anyone review them for their headphone out... (hopefully, it uses the same DAC for the headphone as the RCA out?)

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to plug in my headphones into the Heed, plug the Heed into the DAC, and then get a speaker amp and plug those into the DAC. Then get speakers for the speaker amp.

All you need is a DAC with 2 pairs of outputs. There are a ton of them out there.

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 16
I plan on a 3.1 speaker system at minimum, though, and I would like to use this component for the speakers AND headphones.

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 16
I don't understand the problem.

Approach #1: Connect your headphone amp to DAC output #1, run the speaker amp to output #2. The 3.1 conversion will need to be integrated into the speakers' side of the system.

#2: Connect DAC to speaker amp (HT receiver?), and daisy-chain your headamp from the tape loop or aux output. (This will work with a single-output DAC...)

If you still think this won't work, please provide more details about your other connections, especially on the speaker end.

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan on a 3.1 speaker system at minimum, though

Herein lies he rub, Alai. There is no standard for a 3.1 system. That's not a thing. You can have stereo (2.0), stereo with a sub (2.1), quadrophonic (4.0), surround (5.0), surround with a sub (5.1), and a few higher surround profiles (6.1, 7.1, etc.). There is no 3.1 spec extant that I have ever heard of.

If you want surround, it's impossible to have a DAC with it unless it's a surround receiver. Hi-Fi DACs are built to handle stereo only.

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want surround, it's impossible to have a DAC with it unless it's a surround receiver. Hi-Fi DACs are built to handle stereo only.

Ah. This is more like the information I was looking for. Thank you!

So I guess I will settle for a DAC for headphones and a surround receiver for speakers...

Thanks again!

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 16
If you're getting a surround receiver anyways, you may as well get a good one and use it for both applications.

If you buy one a few years old, you'll get a better DAC for the same money. Here's a great option, mislabelled on A'gon and forgotten because most receiver buyers want an HDMI port. Fits your budget, and will tear your effing house down with power. Nice sounding piece.

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #14 of 16
Oh wow. That does look nice. Although I WOULD like an HDMI input... but is HDMI necessary when you are connecting from computer to receiver to speakers?

Also, I think I will be buying the Adcom GDA-700. Seems like it's a solid piece. I may also look into modding it to smooth out some 'harshness' as some people have noted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back