best dac under $700?
Feb 9, 2007 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

omendelovitz

Member of the Trade: Purity Audio
I'd appreciate everyone's help on this. So far it is down to the VDA2 and the Stello DA-100. I'm not looking for the best value, but the best sound. I was going to allow my wallet to hurt for the VDA-2, but then I read the "all the DACs money can buy" thread (ouch!!!).

Thanks for the help and input!

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 21
I'm interested in the DA100 myself but there seems to be a dearth of information regarding this DAC. I don't think too many people have this, probably because you could spring for a Benchmark DAC1 or a Lavry DA10 for maybe a couple of hundred more (keeping in mind that there's an additional $85 for shipping and handling for a new DA100).

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 21
Good point! I think I'll try to look for reviews on the VDA2 in the meanwhile. What I'm also hoping to find is/are <$700 DACs (no b/i headphone amp) that are clean and revealing as well as well resolved. I realize I'm asking for a lot, but I'm pretty handy w/ a soldering iron, so kits are also a consideration...

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 21
it depends on if you include modding. IMHO, a well-modded cheap DAC sounds better than the $1000+ giants. i never did understand why some people pay thousands only to listen to NE5532 opamps.

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it depends on if you include modding. IMHO, a well-modded cheap DAC sounds better than the $1000+ giants. i never did understand why some people pay thousands only to listen to NE5532 opamps.

any suggestions? keep in mind that I am partial to fully discrete/class-A setups.

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any suggestions? keep in mind that I am partial to fully discrete/class-A setups.

Are you interested in building a balanced setup? here's how many have done it:

1) Get a Zhaolu 2.5 DAC with the AD chip (the cheaper option) If you buy from Eddie, he can change some of the PSU capacitors to Blackgates for you. I'm not sure what difference this makes as I've never heard the nonmodded version, but according to others it does make a difference. Costs $129 if I remember correctly.

2) Get a Zapfilter Mk2 analog output stage by LCAudio. It is a fully discrete class A output with its own power supply and toroid transformer. Switch this board with the stock zhaolu analog output. basically this is a quick 5-minute bolt-on mod with minimum soldering, and there is plenty of extra room on the Zhaolu case to fit this stuff. you also get a choice of balanced or unbalanced output. i went for the balanced output.

3) There are other mods too. You can read all 63 pages in the Mod Your Zhaolu thread over a nice warm cup of coffee. =)

Zhaolu 2.5 is completely modular and practically designed for modding and upscaling. There's plenty of spare room and it has a high quality power supply. The mods completely transform this DAC. Stock sounds good but the modded form blows it out of the water. There's been some shootouts between modded Zhaolu's and much more expensive DACs .

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 21
Thanks for the info! I've heard some bad things about the zhalous and durability... any info there?

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info! I've heard some bad things about the zhalous and durability... any info there?

I never heard anything about durability and can't imagine that any nonmechanical electronic equipment would be nondurable. But I know some people have complained about the older model of Zhaolu which was version 1.3. That one was very bright-sounding and harsh to the ears. But the current version 2.5 is very smooth-sounding. The CS chip sounds smoother than the AD chip, but the AD chip is more detailed. Regardless, both are already very smooth and only get smoother with upgrades.

Feb 10, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3_arun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as far as kits go, the rakk dac is supposed to be really good.

they sure are, but they are not under $700

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never heard anything about durability and can't imagine that any nonmechanical electronic equipment would be nondurable. .

Electronic components can and do fail. In the old days we would send the faulty unit to an Electronic Repair Shop. They used to repair televisions, amps, radios etc.
Of course, these days we throw the faulty unit away. But non-mechanical electronic equipment are not durable for ever. They can fail.

Feb 10, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #13 of 21
I have just been offered a used Musical Fidelity A3.24 DAC for about $550. Should I go for it? That seems like a good price.

I have one question though. I downloaded the user manual from the MF website and it says "will convert digital data from any CD, SACD or DVD-audiosource to analog audio, but not data from AC3, Minidisc, or MP3 formats." I plan to stream ALAC music to an Airport Express, which will in turn feed the DAC. Does the MF A3.24 not allow that, as the user manual seem to mean?

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rkivie2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in the DA100 myself but there seems to be a dearth of information regarding this DAC. I don't think too many people have this, probably because you could spring for a Benchmark DAC1 or a Lavry DA10 for maybe a couple of hundred more (keeping in mind that there's an additional $85 for shipping and handling for a new DA100).

That would be the one, esp if you are in comp source as it sports USB.

Feb 10, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rkivie2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can try and answer whatever questions you can come up with about the DA100. In terms of sheer sound quality as a DAC alone, the DA100 is in the same league as the DAC1 and DA10. What you get for the extra money with those two is more features, namely balanced output, a built-in headphone amp, AES-EBU input and so on. Of course the DA10 has USB input whereas those don't. Once you get to this level of sound quality in DAC's, I think the decision on which one to get becomes as much about finding one with the right feature set/look/etc as it is about the relatively minor sound quality differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back