"Best" DAC Under $500?
Sep 11, 2006 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Stangs55

100+ Head-Fier
Looking to go from a new DAC to my SR-71 and then to Beyer DT 990, AKG 701, Shure E500.

I'm really rather clueless about what's good in this price range.

The Lavry DA10 and Benchmark DAC-1 have really caught my eye...but I'm just finding it rather hard to justify that $1k pricetag.

Thanks

Sep 11, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 16
Apparently the Zapfiltered Zhaolu is an amazing DAC that competes easily with big buck sources. I'd wait a little bit for more impressions on this DAC (There should be a meet some time in early October) since it may end up being the best bang for your buck DAC. It's basically just the Zhaolu DAC ($225) with the Zapfilter MK2 output stage ($215) installed.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197648
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showp...&postcount=628

Only a very small handful of people have heard it, so it's still too early, but it looks VERY promising
lambda.gif

Sep 11, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 16
I would not get a Zhaolu if you don't like a somewhat brighter, or more treble-focused presentation. The stock unit is also a bit harsh. Both the modded ones I heard were supposedly broken so
confused.gif

I've only really heard the cheaper DAC's, and the $1K class, but from what I've heard, there is quite a difference between a stock Zhaolu or DAC-AH and something like a DAC1 or Lavry.

If you are open to modding, I think the DAC-AH is a better platform for doing so, because it comes out of the box sounding better than the Zhaolu (i.e. the AH has no glaring flaws, it just needs more resolution).

Other than that, I'd watch Audiogon and see if you can't hook a deal if you're open to used gear.

There is also the new Stello DA100 around $700, that should be quite good souding, and a bit closer to your budget.

Sep 11, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I would not get a Zhaolu if you don't like a somewhat brighter, or more treble-focused presentation. The stock unit is also a bit harsh. Both the modded ones I heard were supposedly broken so
confused.gif

Ah, yes, the stock Zhaolu is rather bright and harsh. I couldn't stand how bright it was when I had it, but then again that was with a pair of SA5k's. However, I've read that the Zapfiltered Zhaolu gets rid of this brightness issue, but again, wait until more people have heard it to confirm. I've also heard that the DAC-AH has a dark, chocolate-y sound in stock form. Is there any truth in this (So then, unmodded and stock, the DAC-AH would be dark and the Zhaolu would be bright, but after mods it'd be different)?

What kind of sound are you looking for from a DAC?

Sep 11, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 16
My biggest reservation about the Lavry DA10's is that the only way to output audio is either through the headphone jack or the balanced outputs. I have no other balanced components and have really never seen the point. Yes, they're great for cabling long distances, but if I A/B identical cans with balanced cables and one with an 1/4", I can't tell the difference. So basically if I ever wanted to hook these up to speakers or anything else, I would have to get them balanced as, it's my understanding, that you can't "safely" just get a balanced->RCA adapter.

My biggest reservation about the Benchmark DAC-1 is that the newest reviews that have come out seem to prefer the DA10 over the DAC-1. But the inputs/output options on this thing are awesome. But does going from the RCA outs on the back bypass the amp so that I'm only using the DAC?

So what would you guys do?

Benchmark DAC-1 -> Ray Sam SR-71 via RCA -> cans
-or-
Lavry DA10 -> cans

Bit Matched digital out on my computer will be the source for now. (Speaking of which, what are the advantages of going digital out -> DAC versus using a USB DAC?)

Sep 11, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
I've also heard that the DAC-AH has a dark, chocolate-y sound in stock form. Is there any truth in this?

Not from what I heard. It had a pretty neutral sound signature with no glaring flaws. I was a bit lacking in microdetail as compared to better DACs, and did not have the most powerful dynamics, but my god it's $150. I found these flaws much less irritating than the flaws of the stock Zhaolu.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangs55
My biggest reservation about the Lavry DA10's is that the only way to output audio is either through the headphone jack or the balanced outputs. I have no other balanced components and have really never seen the point. Yes, they're great for cabling long distances, but if I A/B identical cans with balanced cables and one with an 1/4", I can't tell the difference. So basically if I ever wanted to hook these up to speakers or anything else, I would have to get them balanced as, it's my understanding, that you can't "safely" just get a balanced->RCA adapter.

You can "safely" get XLR->RCA adaptors at Guitar Center for $8 or so each. Or you can buy XLR->RCA cables. That alone is a silly reason not to get a piece of gear that is as good for the price as the DA10 is.

The internal amp of the DA10 is plenty good, especially with low-impedance cans. Unless you want a tube amp, balanced amp, or very high end solid-state amp, it is about all one really needs. I am not aware of a better sounding DAC/AMP all-in-one for the price. If I had not wanted a balanced rig, or had use for an office or transportable rig, I never would have sold my DA10.

Sep 11, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Ah, yes, the stock Zhaolu is rather bright and harsh. I couldn't stand how bright it was when I had it, but then again that was with a pair of SA5k's. However, I've read that the Zapfiltered Zhaolu gets rid of this brightness issue, but again, wait until more people have heard it to confirm. I've also heard that the DAC-AH has a dark, chocolate-y sound in stock form. Is there any truth in this (So then, unmodded and stock, the DAC-AH would be dark and the Zhaolu would be bright, but after mods it'd be different)?

I've only had the DAC-AH for a week; most of that time just spent on burning it in. I've not heard the stock Zhaolu so I can't comment on that but the stock DAC-AH does not appear to be dark sounding to me at all (also with a pair of SA5000.) Like what Iron_Dreamer pointed out, it doesn't have offending harshness if that's what you meant by being dark; as a matter of fact, it seems quite balanced. Also it gives a lot of details, a very promising inexpensive DAC indeed. HTH.

Sep 11, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #10 of 16
Well crap...why do I even makes stupid posts with stuff like "under $500"?

I hate everyone here. (
biggrin.gif
)

It turns out it should have read "under $1000"
plainface.gif
seeing that steaxauce just sold me his Lavry DA10.

I really hope this thing is as good as I've been reading...

Anyone want to recomend some good priced XLR->RCA adapters and a toslink? (Anyone know anything about these: http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/sho...&preadd=action )

Sep 11, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
The internal amp of the DA10 is plenty good, especially with low-impedance cans.

Do you think it's better to have DA10 with balanced cables and HD650 (as I've seen in signature of other member) than to feed some amp and HD650 from Audigy 2 ZS ?

I have HD650 with stock cable, 1/4" to 1/8" reduction plugged in headphone out of my Audigy 2 ZS Notebook, and I think I would like to improve that.
Get some amp at least, maybe some cheapo DAC, amp, Supplier from Cute ...

What do you think ? What would you suggest ?

Sep 11, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by GASTAN
Do you think it's better to have DA10 with balanced cables and HD650 (as I've seen in signature of other member) than to feed some amp and HD650 from Audigy 2 ZS ?

I have HD650 with stock cable, 1/4" to 1/8" reduction plugged in headphone out of my Audigy 2 ZS Notebook, and I think I would like to improve that.
Get some amp at least, maybe some cheapo DAC, amp, Supplier from Cute ...

What do you think ? What would you suggest ?

Yes, the DA10 would blow the A2ZS straight out of town, regardless of the headphone amp used with the latter. Running the 650's balanced from the DA10 is an easy tweak if you can solder, that improves the sound quality, but even using the front headphone amp, the quality of the Lavry's DAC is so much better than something like an Audigy, the improvement will be immense.

Sep 11, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #14 of 16
Sep 11, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #15 of 16
So you guys are saying it's more important to have good DAC than amplifier ?
Until now I thought oposite.

How about Dared MP 5. It is also around the same price...

Also, would that DA100 be still good with K701 (which I plan in future for rock music) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back