Best DAC to go with WA6 or Ear+ HD.
Oct 26, 2010 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

matthewh133

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everyone. I'm looking at purchasing a WA6 or Ear+ HD. Atm I have the HD650, but I am also looking at picking up a Grado RS1 for my rock/metal in maybe 6 months. I am looking for a DAC to accompany a WA6 or Ear+ HD. I didn't want the amp/dac to cost me over $1000 together. What recommendations do you guys have for me? I guess on the short list I have the Audinst hud and Matrix Cube. Another option is waiting on Burson to release a stand-alone DAC, but I am unsure how long it will take for that to happen. I will also be using the DAC to plug my Rokit RP6 studio monitors into so I can connect them to my PC, as I currently have no way of doing so.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions you guys can give me.

Oct 26, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm looking around for one too. I too currently have HD650s and a WA6. 

So far I've been considering the Gamma 2, DacMagic, Paradisea 3, Cube, Yulong D100, Parasound D/AC 1100, Pico DAC, and one of the many Audio-GD models that have been getting pretty big attention which must be for a reason. Looking at your budget and the remainder you have for the DAC it looks like we're around the same budget constraints. 

So you can look into any of the ones I've mentioned, I've read they all work well with the HD650s and/or the WA6. It's just a matter of finding one. Which I haven't been too successful at...

I'll keep my eye on this thread and see if something else comes up that may be easier to find than some of these suspects. 

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Do you find them similar, or are you speaking of general sound quality?

I hope not!   Im waiting for DAC19 to come. I have been listening Havana for a year now.

From what I read, Havana is very musical and sounds organic compared to solid state dac. People say DAC19 is 'neutral', I imagine it will be somewhat dry compared to Havana but faster and wider sound stage.

That is the reason I have ordered DAC19... complement to Havana sound characteristics.

I can only speak for Havana now, and it is a fantastic DAC. You can change the sound signature by swapping tubes.  

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 9
It's a tough way to communicate audio flavor.  A lot of it is personal preference on the transparency and the extensions which the dac19 has.  However the havana offers something different 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back