Best DAC to a Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm
Aug 13, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #16 of 20
What do you guys think about a Valhalla 2 for tube sound instead of the Magni 2?
I can pair a Modi 2 with a Valhalla 2, right?

For the difference in price between the Magni 2 and Valhalla, I'd see what headphones that would allow you to buy. Putting money into headphones generally gives the best bang for the buck.

Aug 14, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #17 of 20
For the difference in price between the Magni 2 and Valhalla, I'd see what headphones that would allow you to buy. Putting money into headphones generally gives the best bang for the buck.

If you can recommend me more "cinematic" sounding and more comfortable headphones I would be down for the price difference.
Im gonna be using it for Star Citizen and movies, and wearing it up to 18 hours a day.
I just want really fun sound like I'm in a cinema of some sort.

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #18 of 20

If you can recommend me more "cinematic" sounding and more comfortable headphones I would be down for the price difference.
Im gonna be using it for Star Citizen and movies, and wearing it up to 18 hours a day.

An obvious other choice is an AKG Q701 or similar AKG.  Bigger soundstage than DT990.  But DT990 is still big, and imo is more "musical" and immersive.  AKG 7-series is comfortable for how big it sits on your head, but Beyer pads are more comfortable, (though less durable), and imo DT990 is more comfortable overall for multiple reasons.   

Both are popular headphones, but as much as DT990 is love/hate for many people, AKG 7-series is probably more so.  AKG 7 can be immersive, and DT990 can be analytical, but one is better than the other in each of those things. 

I haven't heard the K7xx, but from what I can tell, it's probably similar to mods and EQ'ing I've done to K701 and Q701 to make them less analytical.

You'll want to search the Valhalla and Magni threads to answer your Valhalla question.

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #20 of 20

Sony MA900 would be another option.  Great for daily wearing, your ears get lots of air, big soundstage, warmish and pleasant sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back