Best DAC or Soundcard for linux <=$200
Jun 30, 2007 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Vertigo Acid

100+ Head-Fier
Only requirements are that it can't be firewire based (yeah, like it was going to be anyway
tongue.gif
)
Card or USB, I'm not picky

Jun 30, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 9
Some information on what you want in it other than Linux compatibility would be helpful.

IMO, if it's not just going to be a transport (in which case you should aim for something cheaper than $200), your best bet is haunting eBay, etc (and consulting ALSA Matrix).

Jul 1, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #3 of 9
The M-Audio Transit USB works quite well in Linux once you have it configured right. (Do a search on this forum for some instructions I gave someone else). Also, the Total Bithead works pretty good in Linux. You'll find that anything that doesn't require a driver to install in Windows XP or OSX will usually work in Linux straight up.

Note: Only talking about USB devices here. PCI/PCMCIA might be another story.

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 9
Also check out the Trends UD-10. I'm about to get my hands on one and can post back with some impressions as well as ease of use in linux.

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #5 of 9
Check out the Super Pro USB DAC at http://www.diykits.com.hk/. Works great with snd_usb_audio and is something different from the usual TI interface ( PCM2704,... etc).

Pros: Cheap, Uses CS-4398, CS-8416, CM108, LT1364, all good chips, sounds very nice for $99

Cons: Board has Cirrus Logic Nordic markings - I would really like to know it's lineage - it has lots of unpopulated pads and looks kinda like a Chinese hack job (which it is!), runs hot with supplied 24V switching PS, I run it using a regulated 12V, not the easiest thing to mod if you are into that, it's a complicated board. Don't know how it will last.

Also it make at http://www.shixingshiye.com/DAC/dac707-usb.htm

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 9
Why no firewire? Don't you have a connection or are you afraid it won't work due to lack of drivers? In the latter case check the ffado project.

Jul 2, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by God of Atheism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why no firewire? Don't you have a connection or are you afraid it won't work due to lack of drivers? In the latter case check the ffado project.

No connection and driver concerns, ffado project is pretty neat
wink.gif

My main rig is a laptop w/ dock, so I've only got a single PCI slot, and I don't really fancy just adding a firewire card just for a DAC unless there is a real advantage to one over USB

As for M-Audio Transit, there is currently a bug that I've filled for that with the firmware driver, X86_64 related I suspect, that prevented me from using it.

Thought I said PCI, but looks like I just said "card". Doh
PCMCIA seems, well, subpar for choices in audio, but if someone can convince me otherwise, by all means.

Quote:

Some information on what you want in it other than Linux compatibility would be helpful.

Well, that's and the price are really my only hard-set requirements right now. It's going to be feeding a Millet Hybrid to DT990 and DT880. Having digital outs is nice for future upgrade-ability in a standalone DAC, but not high on my list.
I've got an Alien DAC board sitting here waiting to be built, but it seems that for the price of parts, casing, and a properly regulated PSU vs bus-power, I might be able to get something higher quality.
Audiotrak's Prodigy HD2 Gold seems ideal, but I haven't been able to find a retailer here, nor any used. Envy-24 based solutions are well supported and functional, the ESI Juli@ in my HTPC running kubuntu works great, but I don't really need a multi-channel solution.

What about Onkyo's Envy24-based stuff? I hear reports of linux support, as expected.

Jul 3, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 9
I've read good things about the Indigo io PCMCIA card from Echo Digital on this forum. According to the ALSA soundcard matrix, it is linux compatiable.

Unfortunately, its priced right up at the upper limit of your budget, at US$199.99

Users who are viewing this thread

Back