DrHouse

100+ Head-Fier
I have three options readily available:
Audiolab m-DAC
£600
Arcam rdac
£320
Musical fidelity m1dac + v-link 192
£315 (don't ask how I got both that cheap)

Primary use USB, but will also use the others less frequently

Any votes?
Btw upon my try with the m-DAC, I found it a little lacking in dynamics. I'm liking the fact I can get the musical fidelity combo that cheap, I hear it's great, but opinions would be great.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 16
London. I mainly wanted to know about the M1DAC considering the price, but do u have any further input?

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 16
Ive been considering that + v-link so that it's USB is up to scratch, but that brings the price to 615...

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #7 of 16
you could consider the following desk top DAC 

1. Audiolab M-DAC 
2. Rein Audio X-Dac 
3. Burson DAC

they are about the same price range and top notch at this price .

Enjoy 

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 16
I'd personally have to chime in and agree with the Rein Audio X-DAC and Audiolab M-DAC recommendations (though I've only heard the X-DAC as of yet). Bear in mind, from what I have read, the Benchmark DAC-1 and Burson DAC are not quite as neutral with an ever so slightly brighter presentation. More vivid and sharp, less natural. Really depends on what you want, but I personally think it's better to leave colour to the amp or source/EQ as oppose to the DAC.

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
I'd personally have to chime in and agree with the Rein Audio X-DAC and Audiolab M-DAC recommendations (though I've only heard the X-DAC as of yet). Bear in mind, from what I have read, the Benchmark DAC-1 and Burson DAC are not quite as neutral with an ever so slightly brighter presentation. More vivid and sharp, less natural. Really depends on what you want, but I personally think it's better to leave colour to the amp or source/EQ as oppose to the DAC.

The Benchmark has a ruler flat frequency response up to the limit of our hearing range.  It seems bright because most DACs roll off the treble slightly.

I'm not sure if you've heard all these DACs or seen their measurements but that might be a good step to take to better gauge them.

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
Listen to a familiar recording with the M-DAC Optimal Spectrum filter. Still lacking in dynamics?

I did, for the style of music I used it was the best setting, but Im still writing it off. No stock for another 1-2 months, apparently audiolab need to rethink their supply and demand.
M1DAC it is.
Now, all I need to know is how the M1 HPA performs...

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #15 of 16
Hey mate I've seen you ask a few questions and while this is kind of late I'll chime in for a second. If you still haven't bought one you can pop into bartletts hifi to demo the m1/m-dac. I absolutely  hated the MF DAC. It's huge and sounds waaaaaaay too forward IMO. I listened to 2 tracks and then stopped auditioning it, it was that bad to my ears. 

True that the mdac supply is kind of a joke and this is a good reason to think of smthg else. The Rega DAC is £100 more and just owns the M1 IMO. Some say it's warmer so if you like that then there you go. 

You asked about USB somewhere and from what I tested it is better than the optical inputs. Is that to do with poor implementation in my macbook pro? I don't know but it did sound better and it is also a lot more convenient.

You really have to demo because I don't think the m-dac is lacking in dynamics so our tastes seem to be way different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back