Best DAC for the money.
May 6, 2006 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Meyvn

Headphoneus Supremus
Fairly soon, I'll be upgrading my headphones. First thing is, think I'll be needing a better source? Will there be a noticeable improvement compared to my APX/PowerBook out if I get a DAC? If yes, if it's worth it, what's the best DAC to get for under 500 dollars when it comes to synergy with a K1000/Super-T and a K701/Super-T (if you want an explanation for this one, PM me)? Obviously, there are several options, some more affordable than others. The Silverstone EB01, the DAC-AH, the Zhaolu 2.0, the Micro DAC, and the D02. Do you think all or any of these will give me a noticeable improvement? There's essentially NO way to test most of them, except for a local Athenian who has a Micro DAC.

May 6, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
Fairly soon, I'll be upgrading my headphones. First thing is, think I'll be needing a better source? Will there be a noticeable improvement compared to my APX/PowerBook out if I get a DAC? If yes, if it's worth it, what's the best DAC to get for under 500 dollars when it comes to synergy with a K1000/Super-T and a K701/Super-T (if you want an explanation for this one, PM me)? Obviously, there are several options, some more affordable than others. The Silverstone EB01, the DAC-AH, the Zhaolu 2.0, the Micro DAC, and the D02. Do you think all or any of these will give me a noticeable improvement? There's essentially NO way to test most of them, except for a local Athenian who has a Micro DAC.

I'd say your best bet is to test drive that Micro DAC from the local Athenian.
If the difference is "noticeable" to you, then it will be noticeable upgrading to a DO2/Zhaolu/DAC-Ah.

May 6, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #3 of 4
My money is on zhaolu and D02.

But yeah if you want to hear a source difference, checkout Teerawit's MicroDAC
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back