Best DAC for $400
Apr 29, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3_arun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Zhaolu does not have USB. You should reconsider the Keces DA-151, and also look at the Diyeden SVDAC05.

Can i not use the PC linkII to get the usb connection and then connect that to the zhaolu?

Apr 29, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. USB bypasses it.

Which is why the sound improved so much with the Trends TD-10 lol.

Hmmm. I really need to find out how to fix my Lite Dac.

More $$ does NOT equal better sound. Sensible pairings can lead to a far greater result than just buying expensive bits.

Apr 29, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can i not use the PC linkII to get the usb connection and then connect that to the zhaolu?

Yes you could.

But you might be better off going with the DA-151 unless you want to use SPDIF sources as well.

I was planning to get a Keces DA-151 but if the PC LinkII and the Zero (not the Zhaolu) sound as good as the Keces than it might be a better buy because of the ability to use optical and coaxial as well as USB. (Sorry for the little thread-jack but hopefully the answer will benefit us both.)

Apr 29, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #19 of 29
which one of these are better?
1. Zhaolu 2.5c with upgraded headamp
2. Keces DA 131
3. Yulong DAH1
4. constantine
5. citypulse DA2.03eII

Apr 30, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

which one of these are better?
1. Zhaolu 2.5c with upgraded headamp
2. Keces DA 131
3. Yulong DAH1

Simple question, difficult to answer. I don't know of any reviews of these three. Hence, you'll just have to go by what everyone says about these individually. I have the Keces (and I haven't even heard the other two) and I'm extremely satisfied with it. I did get the LME49710 opamps with it (a great improvement to the standard OPA604's). A wonderful DAC with high quality components designed with a philosophy of 'less is more'. I would describe the sound as: airy with excellent separation, good punch in the lower department, detailed mids and highs, not too much treble, quite neutral. Very important to note is that I use it with a Little Dot MK III tube amplifier and AKG K601's.

Best regards,
Ruben

May 1, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #21 of 29
If i were to go for the citypulse DA7.2xII, this does not have usb input. so i would have to buy a cheap sound card with digital out. But i want to know does the sound coming from the computer loose quality because it has to go through the soundcard before it reaches the DAC?

May 1, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #22 of 29
The fact that no one has mentioned the MicroDAC is making me wonder if I need to sell it and buy something new. Is the microdac really not in the same league as the rest of these?

May 2, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #23 of 29
Hi, I just realised that my computer has optical spdif out and coaxial spdif out, so there is no need for me to worry about using usb. so I have devided to go for the citypulse DA7.2xII, but what i want to know, which is better optical or coaxial and also will the sound quality be compromised beacuse it has to go through the pc before it reaches the dac?

May 2, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Hi, I just realised that my computer has optical spdif out and coaxial spdif out, so there is no need for me to worry about using usb. so I have devided to go for the citypulse DA7.2xII, but what i want to know, which is better optical or coaxial and also will the sound quality be compromised beacuse it has to go through the pc before it reaches the dac?

Yes, the SPDIF outs on your PC are likely very lo-fi.

You're way better off just getting a USB DAC if you are going to be using it with your computer. Or get a USB transport to connect to a SPDIF DAC.

May 2, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the SPDIF outs on your PC are likely very lo-fi.

You're way better off just getting a USB DAC if you are going to be using it with your computer. Or get a USB transport to connect to a SPDIF DAC.

I checked the internet site for my mother board and it says this:

"High Definition Audio
Enjoy high-end sound system on your PC!
The onboard 8-channel HD audio (High Definition Audio, previously codenamed Azalia) CODEC enables high-quality 192KHz/24-bit audio output, jack-sensing feature, retasking functions and multi-streaming technology that simultaneously sends different audio streams to different destinations. You can now talk to your partners on the headphone while playing a multi-channel network games. All of these are done on one computer.

S/PDIF-out on Back I/O Port
This motherboard provides convenient connectivity to external home theater audio systems via coaxial and optical S/PDIF-out (SONY-PHILIPS Digital Interface) jacks. It allows to transfer digital audio without converting to analog format and keeps the best signal quality."

Here is the link: Are you sure these are of lo-fi quality? I thought 192KHz/24-bit was quite good?

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

May 2, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Here is the link: Are you sure these are of lo-fi quality? I thought 192KHz/24-bit was quite good?

The SPDIF on your motherboard is quite OK. Don't be taken in by false claims.

May 2, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SPDIF on your motherboard is quite OK. Don't be taken in by false claims.

It may be ok, but I think the OP would get a lot more bang for the buck by going the USB route. Or atleast buying a transport like the Trends UD-10.1 which would provide a better SPDIF out and then the OP could choose a SPDIF DAC.

The motherboard may have a decent SPDIF out but it will definitely be the weak chain in the rig.

May 3, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by PITTM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fact that no one has mentioned the MicroDAC is making me wonder if I need to sell it and buy something new. Is the microdac really not in the same league as the rest of these?

The MicroDAC is fun and easy to listen to but not the highest quality. What bothers me in DACs is harshness; a certain DAC from the Far East that starts with a Z comes to mind.

May 3, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #29 of 29
You will have to try it for yourself; your mobo's onboard soundcard is unlikely to have high quality digital circuitry - but it could also be just fine for your purpose.

General view is coax is better than optical, but for PCs toslink often yields just as good results, as it helps decouple the signal from PC-bound noise.

You got all the info you need now to make a purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back