Best DAC for $350? Apogee ONE?
May 29, 2014 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Adreneline

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a nice DAC/AMP combo but also eyeing the Apogee ONE as I record a lot too.

How does this compare to other DAC/AMP combos for the price range? I heard it's quite good. 

Maverick D1? 

May 29, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 8
ONE is definitely the way to go, especially if you're going to be recording too.  Though I'm a bit biased working for the company, I don't know of a better DAC for the money.  Plus it connects directly to iPad/iPhone as well as Mac, so that's a big win for functionality.  I take mine with me whenever I travel and connect to my iPhone.  

Check out the specs on our site and let me know if you have any questions!  
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/one/specifications

Brad

May 30, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #5 of 8
If you are on windows and specifically want the very small form factor then the MOTU Microbook is cheaper and better featured. Echo 2 and Focusrite Forte are slightly more expensive but significantly more capable.

If you don't need ultraportable also consider the MOTU Audio Express, Focusrite 6i6 or something from Native Instruments Audio range.

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #7 of 8

No, never. Biggest piece of crap and biggest audio purchase regret I've ever made.

Why's that? 

I now have both the Maverick D1 and Apogee. To me, the Apogee seems maybe a bit more clear, but lacking bass compared to the D1. Not sure what to stick with.

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #8 of 8

Why's that? 

I now have both the Maverick D1 and Apogee. To me, the Apogee seems maybe a bit more clear, but lacking bass compared to the D1. Not sure what to stick with.

Because the headphone section was rubbish. The noise floor was unacceptable and the persistent hum drove me crazy.  Also, one of the toggle switches broke, and when I opened a support ticket, the solution I was offered was a $40 payout.  The thought of servicing my unit or sending me a new one was never offered as a solution.  I refused the $40 payout and vowed to never support that company again.

Also, when the original unit arrived, the customs documents were forged saying the contents were aluminum pipe fitting samples.  I do not condone the forgery of customs documents.  I will happily pay the taxes on the actual item.

So, I have nothing good to say about Maverick Audio or their products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back