Best DAC Around $300 - $400
Sep 10, 2009 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Optiplex

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

Been in the market for a USB DAC in the $300 to $400 price range, and have narrowed it down to the following:

Cambridge DACMagic
Compass
Headamp Pico
iBasso D10

Portabilty is not a primary consideration, I simply am looking for the best sounding DAC for the price.

Any input would be great, thanks all.

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 15
save a little more.. buy a used stello DA100. the Dacmagic has a poor usb implementation (CM108). the DA100's usb is much better. I don't know of the other dac's usb implementation, probably streaming usb with a pc270x or cm108 chipset, not the best around, you may be better off with a converter (or quality PCI sound card for SPDIF output) and standard dac. I don't understand all the rave with USB right now, it has the potential to be great, but no cheap dac in existence uses that potential, they all use poorly implemented cheap chips, and most all of them perform better with SPDIF, in many cases even poor quality spdif is better. *Edit* I must also add that you have to be careful of what converter you choose as well, because many of them use the same chips as the cheap dacs I just mentioned.

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 15
or you can save a little and get the mhdt paradisea+. I feel like once you hit the ~$500 range, you'll find a lot of great DACs and it all depends on which one tickles your fancy. You can't really go wrong on any of the selection around 500.

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 15
has anyone used the PS Audio - Digital Link III Audio DAC available new for $700? also please explain "converter plus standard dac." is this like the musiland monitor to a standard dac? thanks. sorry for the ignorant questions.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 15
a converter only changes the usb input to an optical output so then that optical will go into a dac. The dac then converts the optical to an analog so you can use RCA cables to your amp. The PS audio dl3 is very good. I'm pretty sure you can find a used one for ~500. That makes it a great competitor.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #8 of 15
Great suggestions everybody, and I will definately take your advice into consideration- THANKS.

At this point, I'm leaning towards the iBasso D10...seems as if it has a DAC on par with most desktop DACs in the $400 range, it also has both USB and SPDIF connecting capabilties...and is a headphone amp to boot. The fact that it's $275 only sweetens the pot that much more.

Koven- I have heard nothing but spectacular things about the Pico. Do you have the DAC only or the DAC/ AMP combo? Any differences in the chipsets?

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 15
I also saw several forum threads detailing the D10 as the highest quality commercial portable DAC too.

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #10 of 15
I can recommend something that's not on your list, though you might be set on not going outside of it...
I've got Firestone's Fubar III along side the dedicated PSU and have been satisfied so far, even after stepping up from the HD595s to the HD650s. That's not to say that I think the Fubar III/PSU is optimal for the such sensitive cans as the HD650s, but they aren't necessarily insufficient, either.
I've read both good and bad reviews on the Fubar III, but there was a noticeable gain in quality when I matched it with the PSU, which I've never seen formally reviewed together. Combined, the cost was $360, which is on the lower end of what you're looking to pay.
I can't and, more importantly, won't defend this combination (Fubar III/PSU) beyond the fact that I enjoy using them and am satisfied with the quality/price - my experience is far too limited to feel justified in doing so.
Good luck on your quest, and post what you get and how it works out!

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #11 of 15
Get a used one from audiogon. You can get something better ( normally at a higher price range ) for your money. Do some research and be patient.

Examples (not recommending these in particular, but just to research them):
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....kdac-iii-24/96
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....elity-X-DAC-v3
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls..../Promiteus-DAC
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....&/EAD-DSP-7000
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....da-1-and-vac-1

etc

I also agree with the above post that budgeting a couple hundred more opens up a lot of options (used Stello, new PS Link III, used Havana, etc ) and is quite worth it. I'd avoid cheap Chinese made stuff - everytime I tried them I've been dissappointed.

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #12 of 15
I'm also looking for a DAC at that price range. In terms of pure SQ, how do the DACmagic, Compass, and D10 compare? I'm looking to use the DAC primarily in an bookshelf speaker setup (Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-10 + Onkyo Integrated Amp), as well as with either Denon D2K, and K702.

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #13 of 15
If you were considering the DACmagic why not get a used stello or something like that? Compass is alright as a DAC but seems lacking at times. Not so sure about the D10 but if it's stationary, might as well get a desktop dac and not settle with a portable.

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 15
I heard dacmagic has bad usb interface, and consider it using the jitter machine CM108, im not surprized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back