Best DAC/Amp for K712 Pro under $500
Oct 22, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #16 of 32
Okay so about the whole preamp thing, whats the difference between a preamp and a pre-out? I've always used headphones and have never really used speakers so this is all new terminology to me.

If I got a Magni 3 what kind of speaker can be controlled by its volume knob, active speakers, passive speakers or powered monitors?

The Vali 2 is a tube amp which means it colours the sound and makes it slightly warmer, I want the sound signature to stay the same so I guess a Magni 3 is the better option, it's also more powerful.
Not all ube amps color the sound and don’t always make it warmer. That depends on amp and tubes. I had a Schiit Valhall2 and it was the most solid state tube amp I’ve heard with stock tubes so blanket statements is not all that helpful to others.

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #17 of 32
Not all ube amps color the sound and don’t always make it warmer. That depends on amp and tubes. I had a Schiit Valhall2 and it was the most solid state tube amp I’ve heard with stock tubes so blanket statements is not all that helpful to others.
I assumed that most tube amps colour the sound in a warm way because that's what I see most people say.

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #18 of 32
I assumed that most tube amps colour the sound in a warm way because that's what I see most people say.

They try to make the tube amps do that but in some cases they will unintentionally do the opposite. Like how the K701 sounds like a tin can out of the Little Dot MkII because the MkII has a very high output impedance and the K701 has a low 62ohm nominal impedance.

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #19 of 32
They try to make the tube amps do that but in some cases they will unintentionally do the opposite. Like how the K701 sounds like a tin can out of the Little Dot MkII because the MkII has a very high output impedance and the K701 has a low 62ohm nominal impedance.
K712 Pro is 62 Ohms and the NFB-11's output impedance is 2 Ohms so I assume that's a good match.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #21 of 32
That is not always the case . Some will but not all. It all depends on the amp.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #22 of 32
Well I guess I'll settle on the NFB-11.28 then or maybe even the R2R-11 since I've heard it's even better for a similar price, the convenience of not unplugging your headphones to listen to your speakers is a very welcome one, first world problems I know but whatever.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #23 of 32
Well can’t complain about Audio Gd stuff as all that I have heard has been solid .

Oct 23, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #24 of 32
Okay guys I've made some adjustments to the requirements and would now like to know what the best option is, no point starting a new thread about it so I'll just put it here.

• DAC/Amp for K712 Pro (and any future headphones I'll buy)
  • Under $500
  • Prefer combo unit but separate units are acceptable
  • If combo unit then it's okay if it's larger than average like NFB-11, if separate units then it must be something that is cleverly designed for space like Schiit Stack
  • Must have USB and Optical (Toslink) inputs
  • Either 1/4" or 1/8" output is fine, balanced is optional but not necessary at all
  • Must be able to control speakers from unit's volume knob
  • Must allow switching between headphones and speakers without unplugging the headphones.
  • Must be wall powered
  • Want something that will make the headphones shine
  • Must be powerful enough for future headphone purchases whether dynamic or planar
  • Must not colour the sound or affect the sound signature of any cans
  • Clean high-quality sound that brings out a headphones potential
  • Bass, Mids, Treble, Soundstage and Imaging must not be messed with and should all be markedly improved

So what do you all suggest now, still the NFB-11 or is there something that can challenge it or is better out there within this budget?

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #25 of 32
Okay guys I've made some adjustments to the requirements and would now like to know what the best option is, no point starting a new thread about it so I'll just put it here.

• DAC/Amp for K712 Pro (and any future headphones I'll buy)
  • Under $500
  • Prefer combo unit but separate units are acceptable
  • If combo unit then it's okay if it's larger than average like NFB-11, if separate units then it must be something that is cleverly designed for space like Schiit Stack
  • Must have USB and Optical (Toslink) inputs
  • Either 1/4" or 1/8" output is fine, balanced is optional but not necessary at all
  • Must be able to control speakers from unit's volume knob
  • Must allow switching between headphones and speakers without unplugging the headphones.
  • Must be wall powered
  • Want something that will make the headphones shine
  • Must be powerful enough for future headphone purchases whether dynamic or planar
  • Must not colour the sound or affect the sound signature of any cans
  • Clean high-quality sound that brings out a headphones potential
  • Bass, Mids, Treble, Soundstage and Imaging must not be messed with and should all be markedly improved

So what do you all suggest now, still the NFB-11 or is there something that can challenge it or is better out there within this budget?

Based on the highlighted requirement you basically just locked on the NFB-11. It complies with everything else, but just note that even with all its power planar headphones with lower than 90dB/1mW sensitivity won't work that well with it, and electrostats totally will not work.

That said:
1) Planars are getting higher and higher efficiency/sensitivity, so unless you buy an older headphone, this isn't really a problem. Just make sure to watch out for that in case anything still comes up later on that still doesn't have 90dB/1mW or higher sensitivity.
2) Stax sells electrostat headphones that come with its own amp, and if anything, the only problem will be that the NFB-11 has only one set of RCA output. You can use a Schiit Sys to split the signal though so again, not really a problem, but you need to be aware of this detail.

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #26 of 32
Based on the highlighted requirement you basically just locked on the NFB-11. It complies with everything else, but just note that even with all its power planar headphones with lower than 90dB/1mW sensitivity won't work that well with it, and electrostats totally will not work.

That said:
1) Planars are getting higher and higher efficiency/sensitivity, so unless you buy an older headphone, this isn't really a problem. Just make sure to watch out for that in case anything still comes up later on that still doesn't have 90dB/1mW or higher sensitivity.
2) Stax sells electrostat headphones that come with its own amp, and if anything, the only problem will be that the NFB-11 has only one set of RCA output. You can use a Schiit Sys to split the signal though so again, not really a problem, but you need to be aware of this detail.
Okay that's all good and dandy. Could you please clarify why the NFB-11 having one set of RCA outputs might be an issue? from what I've seen I always thought that you use those to output to powered monitors?

Oct 24, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #27 of 32
Okay that's all good and dandy. Could you please clarify why the NFB-11 having one set of RCA outputs might be an issue? from what I've seen I always thought that you use those to output to powered monitors?

You need to slow down a little and read carefully. I only mentioned it might be an issue if you get an electrostat headphone (ie the kind of headphone the NFB-11 or practically any other headphone amp can not drive), even with a Stax that comes bundled with its own amplifier, because while you can connect that to the NFB-11, you have the RCA outputs feeding powered monitors. And again, if you have both the Stax amp and powered monitors, you can use the Schiit Sys to split the signal - just select "Fixed" Output on the NFB-11, then switch output on the Sys to go to the Stax amp.

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #28 of 32
You need to slow down a little and read carefully. I only mentioned it might be an issue if you get an electrostat headphone (ie the kind of headphone the NFB-11 or practically any other headphone amp can not drive), even with a Stax that comes bundled with its own amplifier, because while you can connect that to the NFB-11, you have the RCA outputs feeding powered monitors. And again, if you have both the Stax amp and powered monitors, you can use the Schiit Sys to split the signal - just select "Fixed" Output on the NFB-11, then switch output on the Sys to go to the Stax amp.
Ah I see, my mistake.

Well I won't be getting electrostatics anytime soon. Whilst I have tried many headphones for hours on end I only own 3. HD 598, X2 and K712. 598 for portability around home, X2 as the fun headphone (slightly broken) and the K712 as the goto for anything and everything. I don't have any planars but when I buy new cans I'll probably get an HE-400i or an M1060.

Anyway thanks for the help, I pretty much have locked in the NFB-11 based on my needs.

Sep 20, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #29 of 32
Reviving this thread, I don't know if you ended up with the R2R-11 or the NFB-11 but I have the R2R-11 and K712s, I am looking for an amp that will make the K712s shine, because everyone goes on about how special the K712s are and how the come to life with better equipment. I truly believe the R2R DAC is special but the amp could not be doing the K712s justice, I have arrived at the HEED CanAmp, which everyone says pairs exceptionally well with Q701 and K702 (and HD600s, which I have) because they are current hungry although they have low impedance, such big drivers as well need a little bit of huevos behind them. Another person also mentioned the Head-Box DS2 b is THE ULTIMATE pairing with a balanced mod to the K712s but honestly that thing is expensive and not keen on modding. If anyone has recommendations of amps that will truly make the K712s shine throw them here, at the moment I feel they are missing something but cannot put my finger on it. Also considering DarkVoice 336.

Sep 20, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #30 of 32
Reviving this thread, I don't know if you ended up with the R2R-11 or the NFB-11 but I have the R2R-11 and K712s, I am looking for an amp that will make the K712s shine, because everyone goes on about how special the K712s are and how the come to life with better equipment. I truly believe the R2R DAC is special but the amp could not be doing the K712s justice, I have arrived at the HEED CanAmp, which everyone says pairs exceptionally well with Q701 and K702 (and HD600s, which I have) because they are current hungry although they have low impedance, such big drivers as well need a little bit of huevos behind them. Another person also mentioned the Head-Box DS2 b is THE ULTIMATE pairing with a balanced mod to the K712s but honestly that thing is expensive and not keen on modding. If anyone has recommendations of amps that will truly make the K712s shine throw them here, at the moment I feel they are missing something but cannot put my finger on it. Also considering DarkVoice 336.
I ike my Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube headphone amplifier.
I connect it to the line-output (RCA) on my NFB-11.28.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back