Best DAC/AMP for 200$ or less
Oct 11, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #17 of 31
To get a headphone amp with tube sound with impedance that low, you need a hybrid tube/solid state amp. Little Dot I+ fits the bill. It uses a tube in the pre-amp stage coupled with a solid state amp that produces the actual power. Then you would have to buy a separate DAC.

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #18 of 31
hahahahahhahahaha ok this is a real problem here xD hahahahhahaha i think that what i need is to study more all the alectronic engeniree of all this thing, maybe if i understand all the sciende behind all i will be able to choose hahahaha.
because for what you are telling me i have the option of buying the aune t1 for now, beacuse what is amizing of it from what i read is the DAC section with his tube, so if what i need and want is an amp with tube and a lower output impedance i will have to buy it separately some day, im i right?
if the answer to that question is yes, then my real question from the start is if i can find all that in just one element in just one DAC/AMP

thanks again

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #20 of 31
hahahahahhahahaha ok this is a real problem here xD hahahahhahaha i think that what i need is to study more all the alectronic engeniree of all this thing, maybe if i understand all the sciende behind all i will be able to choose hahahaha.
because for what you are telling me i have the option of buying the aune t1 for now, beacuse what is amizing of it from what i read is the DAC section with his tube, so if what i need and want is an amp with tube and a lower output impedance i will have to buy it separately some day, im i right?
if the answer to that question is yes, then my real question from the start is if i can find all that in just one element in just one DAC/AMP

thanks again

The reason that hybrid tube/solid state amps exist is that they are considered the best way to get tube sound for headphones that need low impedance output. There may be some VERY expensive tube amps (I don't know about tube amps costing several hundreds of dollars) that can achieve that impedance, but nothing in your budget range. So if you want 5 ohms, you gonna have to go hybrid tube/solid state.

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #21 of 31
OK! perfect im understending more and more, but is out there maybe in the 300$ range a hybrid tube/solidstate DAC/AMP with an output with lower impedance than 5? something just as beautiful and perfect as the aune t1 but with lower impedance output? im just asking xD

and! from what u said early i was just thinking in what UZI said maybe a separate combination like aune t1 with magni? or modi with the little dot I that you told me? that together would be like 220$?

thank you again :)

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #22 of 31
Little Dot I+ coupled with a Schiit Modi or ODAC DAC would be my suggestion. In fact, I used to own the Little Dot I+ with the ODAC. :)

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #25 of 31
For the best price, I advise going on the For Sale section of the forum. You should be able to snag an ODAC and Little Dot 1+ for <$200.

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #26 of 31
Ive been into tubes for several yrs and have created several low cost hybrid designs capable of driving any of the impedance s of the cans on the market. I also have a PP transformer coupled designs completed but not built. Being new to this forum I still can not post pics or schematics of my work.
Eric

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #27 of 31
ok this is quite a thing, i realize reading around that maybe i dont really need an amp, my cans sounds quite good in potency, just connecting them to the pc it can be really loud, what i need is a better source, so maybe i just need a DAC cause the rokit 5 are also pre amp; and if i need an amp after this i can buy it in the future, so the 1/8th rule also applies to DACs? and if that so, is out there a good tube DAC for less than 200?

eroline i dont understand, what are you exactly telling me?

thank you to all.

metta

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #28 of 31
Only thing is that if you buy a standalone DAC without a headphone amp, you won't be able to plug your headphones into it.

And honestly, I think you derailed yourself getting obsessed with the difference between a headphone amp with 5 ohm output and 10 ohm output. The difference between the 5 ohm output and the 10 ohm output might not even be audible to you, and it was, a very slight difference that you might not even mind. In fact, the whole 1/8 the impedance output of your headphone is a general rule, not a hard and fast that's even necessary in all circumstances. However, the Aune T1 will provide better sound than default sound out of a computer.

BTW: I, too (like PurpleAngle), used to listen to the A900X with the Xonar STX that has 10 ohm low output impedance. Sounded fine.

Oct 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #29 of 31
hahahahaha ok ok totally true sorry for my ignorance xD hahahaha so the aune t1 would be my thing for what i want, the modi little dot combination sounds great but the dot doesnt have output for my rokit monitors, i was re reading all this threat and i found that you told me about the Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1 too i searched for it and it seems great, it has a lot of output choices and use tube too! but the output impedance is even bigger is 16ohm output for the hps, so well im between the audioengine d1 and the aune t1 for now, they have the same output impedance and im leaning for the aune because of the tube, so what you think of the aune for definite choice?

thank you all for all the help.

metta

Oct 14, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #30 of 31
The Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1 only has tube sound in the pre-amp that your speakers would connect to. It does not use the tubes in the headphone output. The one major advantage of the TubeMagic is also that you can plug in multiple devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back