Best DAC/AMP combo for the money for Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250ohm
Jul 13, 2016 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

milamberdob

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I have been scouring the forums here for an answer to the above, and have gotten many, many varying responses.

What is clear is that my choices have come down the the following: 

- Schiit Magni 2 / Modi 2
- Audioengine D1
- O2+ODAC
- Fiio E10k

I simply want to ensure get the best sound quality for the lowest price as well as ensuring they can drive my DT-990 Pro 250ohm which arrive in a few days.
I will be exclusively using these cans for Movies, TV and Gaming. I do not require any features such as virtual surround sound or the ability to hook up speakers. 

Also,  live in Australia so access to some of them may be tough.

Can anyone recommend the best solution for my needs? 

Any suggestions / help would be gratefully appreciated :)

Michael

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 18
Look into the Audio GD NFB-11. Since Audio GD ships factory direct from China, it may be a best bang for buck for you. I would rate it above the other dac/amps you are considering.

For good prices on E10K, check Penon Audio: http://penonaudio.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=18_71. They are a very good international vendor.

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 18
I am getting the O2+ODAC next week. Got the DT990's 250's as well. Give me couple of days and Ill report back?

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 18
  I have been scouring the forums here for an answer to the above, and have gotten many, many varying responses.
- Audioengine D1
- O2+ODAC
- Fiio E10k
I simply want to ensure get the best sound quality for the lowest price as well as ensuring they can drive my DT-990 Pro 250-Ohm which arrive in a few days.
.I will be exclusively using these cans for Movies, TV and Gaming. I do not require any features such as virtual surround sound or the ability to hook up speakers. 

For the kind of cash you would spend for the Schiit stack (Modi/Magni), or the ODAC/O2, you could get headphones noticeably better then the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm
FiiO E10K or FiiO Q1 or Schiit Fulla or the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card, should provide good bang for the buck, for driving the DT990.

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 18
Look into the Audio GD NFB-11. Since Audio GD ships factory direct from China, it may be a best bang for buck for you. I would rate it above the other dac/amps you are considering.

For good prices on E10K, check Penon Audio: http://penonaudio.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=18_71. They are a very good international vendor.

Thanks for that link. The free worldwide shipping is pretty sweet! I'll look into the Audio GD NFB-1.

I am getting the O2+ODAC next week. Got the DT990's 250's as well. Give me couple of days and Ill report back?

Yeah ok, let me know how they go! Where did you pick them up from?

For the kind of cash you would spend for the Schiit stack (Modi/Magni), or the ODAC/O2, you could get headphones noticeably better then the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm
FiiO E10K or FiiO Q1 or Schiit Fulla or the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card, should provide good bang for the buck, for driving the DT990.

This is the conclusion I also think I have driven myself towards. My initial fear was that the e10K or Sound Blaster may not be able to handle the DT990s fully. I guess for the price I can grab it and upgrade to one of the other options later on if I feel the need. Do you have a preference out of the sound card vs e10k? I hear varying degrees of opinions. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 18
  This is the conclusion I also think I have driven myself towards. My initial fear was that the e10K or Sound Blaster may not be able to handle the DT990s fully. I guess for the price I can grab it and upgrade to one of the other options later on if I feel the need. Do you have a preference out of the sound card vs e10k? I hear varying degrees of opinions. 

Unless you have need of features, like Headphone surround sound, might as well just get the FiiO E10K (or Q1).
The E10K being external, would not be effected by any electrical noise generated inside the computer case. (if there was any).
Plus the E10K (or Q1) can also be used with Macs (and Linux?).

Personally I would return the DT990 and get the Soundmagic HP200 headphones.

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #7 of 18
Ooooorrr. You could get the schiit magni 2 uber/modi 2 uber stack and have something that can drive almost all cans and upgrade the cans later.
why the uber? because its more shiny and the magni 2u has more power+preampout, modi 2u has more inputs. Personally I get more exited to start listening if my gear looks nice. 50bucks extra for a more shiny is worth it in my opinion xD

Magni 2(regular) has over 5x the power the fulla.. Right now you might be going for a solution where you have to upgrade your Amp/DAC later On.
As for the modi 2u, you said "TV movies and gaming". For this the Modi 2 uber has optical, coax and usb inputs, switchable by a button. you can have everything hooked up to the same DAC :) can't complain about having a better dac on your TV or playstation 
darthsmile.gif

To save some cash you could go regular magni 2 and go for modi 2u for the added inputs, if you don't care for shiny that is..

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 18
  Yeah ok, let me know how they go! Where did you pick them up from?

Will does. Living in the EU, I got it from http://www.headnhifi.com/. 

I figured I'd rather get a good dac/amp the first time. I looked at the Fiio's, and have tried the E10. But I personally wanted something bigger on my desk. The Schiit stack looks nice, so did some of the Chinese systems (tubes included), and the O2+ODAC. I went with what I thought was a good solution, and that was available with shipping to Norway. A solution I hope will be future ready if I ever upgrade my set of headphones. 

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 18
The Fulla can drive most headphones, even the 600 ohm DT 880. There aren't many headphones the Magni 2 can't drive, but it's overkill for most.
Overkill is underrated ; )

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 18
Hey all,

- Audioengine D1

- O2+ODAC

- Fiio E10k

I simply want to ensure get the best sound quality for the lowest price as well as ensuring they can drive my DT-990 Pro 250ohm which arrive in a few days.
I will be exclusively using these cans for Movies, TV and Gaming. I do not require any features such as virtual surround sound or the ability to hook up speakers. 

Michael

You might wish to visit the thread below and reconsider , members such as golfpro , warrior1975 and Sound eq , sums up the E5 pretty well , the ability for user from tweaking SBX / EQ the E5 on the fly , sounding , watching movies .
From page 103 onwards , I know how I'm going to spend my money . Personally I'm with Android , with that and a good IEM is all good to go .
I now own the E5 and I never look back .

But having said that , shipping out to Australia via creative store is expensive @ 349.95 AUD . Getting on Amazon is recommended @189 USD

http://www.head-fi.org/t/732171/creative-sound-blaster-e5-headphone-amp-usb-dac-with-otg-toslink-aptx-recording-more/1530#post_12549006

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #14 of 18

Michael

So Michael, what did you end up with? I have yet to recieve my O2+Odac due to customs :/ 

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #15 of 18
I  have now gotten my dirty little hands on the O2+odac and are extreamly happy with how my DT990s perform now, contra how they were with the old Astro Mixamp using optical from my pc. I am not surprised it performs better though. There is more sound at equal noise levels, I hear its more power driving the cans. The soundstage is better as well. Anywho, I will not do an extensive review or anything. But feel free to ask me any questions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back