Best DAC < $500
Jan 11, 2009 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Shahrose

Headphoneus Supremus
In my 4 years on Head-fi (2 as a reader, 2 as a member), i've never looked into DACs because i've been a computer-as-a-source guy. i've tried searching but haven't come up with definitive answers to my question like i have for headphones/amps. so i'm here to ask the pros.

i basically want a DAC that will beat my current sound card (HT Omega Claro Plus+), which is one of the best soundcards for SQ currently available. it cost me about $220, so i'm assuming that a $500 budget should be enough to find a DAC that noticeably surpasses the Claro plus+.

i can increase my budget a bit if it's really worth the increase in SQ, but less is always better
smily_headphones1.gif

my sound preference? smooth, warm, large soundstage. oh and i'll be using optical out from my soundcard. my current equipment is listed in my sig.

thanks in advance

Jan 13, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 16
I think the DAC magic would sound great with you're DT990's (especially based on you're sound preference description). I don't know much about sound cards though, so it may or may not be better then what you have (though as a guess I would say it would be a fair bit better).

Jan 14, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 16
from what i have read , dac will improve over soundcard.
i have a "zero" and a "v-dac". i am no techy, but both seem to represent excellent value.
never tried "high-end" sound card though.

Jan 14, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 16
I just pre-ordered the new Keces DA-151. Gets good reviews here and elsewhere and is <$300 shipped.

Jan 15, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 16
First thing you want to do is to get rid of your 200$ sound card and buy a cheaper one. If you're going to use digital out having such a sound card is pretty much useless. Get something like an X-FI that is capable of doing bit-perfect out and increase your budget with ~150$. You could also use USB and increase your budget even more.

I think you will like the DacMagic but also consider the MHDT DACs. They're tube based and might just be what you're looking for.

Happy hunting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 16
I vote for the DacMagic. I just got done listening to the 24/96 version of Fleetwood Mac - Rumours and my God did it sound amazing. Standard redbook sounds very good too, of course.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First thing you want to do is to get rid of your 200$ sound card and buy a cheaper one. If you're going to use digital out having such a sound card is pretty much useless. Get something like an X-FI that is capable of doing bit-perfect out and increase your budget with ~150$. You could also use USB and increase your budget even more.

I think you will like the DacMagic but also consider the MHDT DACs. They're tube based and might just be what you're looking for.

Happy hunting.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree, don't just run out and buy the DAC Magic ir any other DAC. Try before you buy and make sure it's what you're ears like.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #11 of 16
i'm sure these are all great suggestions. i wish all of you had dipped your toes into the soundcard pool so i could get a better idea of how they stack up to DACs. i have a feeling you'd be surprised...
anyways, time to research on each of these recommendations.

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #14 of 16
a bit of a tangent, but how does the Benchmark DAC1 compare to the DAC Magic? is it much better than the DAC Magic or is the price difference not worth the improvement?
also noone mentioned the Keces DA-131.1 which i was initially contemplating getting. i'm wondering if there's a reason for that.

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so i'm assuming that a $500 budget should be enough to find a DAC that noticeably surpasses the Claro plus+.

By the way I have contacted some stores in the Montreal area today and I can have the DACMagic for $399 +taxes CAD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back