Best custom IEMs for a Sennheiser IE800 fan?
Dec 10, 2014 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ak_

New Head-Fier
Hey all!

I became a big fan of the Sennheiser IE800 after attending a Head-Fi Meetup last year in Babylon, NY. Ever since then I started wrestling with the idea of spending $800 on IEMs with the IEMs winning as of late.

However there are a couple of things about IE800 that i'm not too crazy about. Mainly the non-removable, microphonic cable. 

So at this point since I'm already considering plopping down $800 for earphones, I'm wondering if I can do better with a custom IEM.

What I love about the IE800 is the sound; The wide soundstage with clear instrument separation, an emphasized bass, and a lush airy midrange (borrowed form Jude's review).

If anyone has any idea of a perfect custom IEM for a IE800 fan then please, don't be shy!

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 4
I've tried quite a few similar IEMs in that price range and have found nothing quite like what the IE800 gives, it's my favourite.

However there's a couple I can suggest - the Dita Answer (non-truth edition) does sound very close, the truth edition is just a bit on the bright side.

And Final Audio has just brought out the Heaven VII and Heaven VIII, but you still have the microphonics issue. Again, they don't have the silkiness of the IE800 but are close.

These aren't CIEMs of course but I can't try those so easily!

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 4
I'm feeling better and better about the idea of IE800.

What about sets like JH13 Pro and the offerings form UE and Noble? Any comparisons to the IE800? Is the sounds signature just too different?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back