BEST crossfeed plugin for foobar 0.8.3??
Apr 15, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #32 of 68
Ali, I just tried your settings. I know what you mean about the center channel and, for some recordings, I may have overdone it. I think my settings are slightly wider than the "convert stereo to 4 channels -> dolby headphone" plugin configuration.

One concern I have with volumes in the "Upmix" tab is the possibility of clipping. Your settings are louder than a configuration without DSP's. Perhaps there is a way to reliably test for clipping - other than by ear?

A couple of notes for anyone playing around with these plugins:
  1. In my settings it is important to have the dolby headphone wrapper which allows you to disable "dynamic compression" (see photo). Otherwise the volume becomes louder.
  2. To compare between configurations easily, you can save them as foobar DSP presets (note the preset named "Dolby Crossfeed - 2" in my first photo). All settings, including the channel mixer, are saved and you can then switch between configurations while listening. It is also useful to save a "no DSP" preset with all plugins removed.

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #34 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ali, I just tried your settings. I know what you mean about the center channel and, for some recordings, I may have overdone it. I think my settings are slightly wider than the "convert stereo to 4 channels -> dolby headphone" plugin configuration.

One concern I have with volumes in the "Upmix" tab is the possibility of clipping. Your settings are louder than a configuration without DSP's. Perhaps there is a way to reliably test for clipping - other than by ear?

A couple of notes for anyone playing around with these plugins:
  1. In my settings it is important to have the dolby headphone wrapper which allows you to disable "dynamic compression" (see photo). Otherwise the volume becomes louder.
  2. To compare between configurations easily, you can save them as foobar DSP presets (note the preset named "Dolby Crossfeed - 2" in my first photo). All settings, including the channel mixer, are saved and you can then switch between configurations while listening. It is also useful to save a "no DSP" preset with all plugins removed.

It is possible there could be clipping (I doubt it though). The '1.3' value in "volume in rear" is 1.3 times the 0.3 sent to rear from the front channels I believe (all guess work since there isnt any documentation of the channel mixer plugin so correct me if I'm wrong).

I should've also added that my Dolby HP is at 71% amp with DRC disabled. It's at that value because I was comparing with bs2b which has a -3db gain to it (roughly comes to 71% volume). This chain is also terminated by the advanced limiter. I'm yet to come across anything that I could hear being clipped.

In anycase, the beauty of these two plugins working in tandem is that you can tune it based on your headphones/music collection/personal preference. Happy listening.

Sidenote: The channel mixer is "live", so one doesn't need to "apply" the settings to hear the difference which makes life a whole lot easier when tuning it.

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #35 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foobar really needs a programable crossfeed like one finds on Rockbox. I stopped using the naivesoftware crossfeed once I got my DT880s. It was great with cheaper headphones but it was killing the soundstage on the Beyers.

This Dolby processor look interesting, I'll try that when I get back to my headfi system.

The Rockbox crossfeed is very basic and inadequate. A fixed time delay, frequency cutoff rather than tapered, and no compensatory frequency adjustments of the primary signal.
See the bs2b site or the headphone amp design on the meier audio site for how it should be done.

Apr 15, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #36 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alleyman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... In anycase, the beauty of these two plugins working in tandem is that you can tune it based on your headphones/music collection/personal preference. Happy listening.

My thoughts exactly. I also think the right settings are dependent on the recording: some have more of a "binaural" quality than others and using crossfeed/dolbyhph really pays off only when the original is too annoying without it.

Perhaps the music industry will begin selling multiple versions on the same CD: Binaural recording for headphones (or "ipod / music on the go"), alongside the conventional stereo for loudspeakers. .. Wouldn't that be nice?
rolleyes.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #38 of 68
Hi.. I think unchecking the "Dynamic compression" flag disables the compressor? The author of the DH foobar wrapper says programs like powerdvd always leave this flag set. He exposed it only in a test version of his wrapper.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #41 of 68
That link to the 3rd party components site has a version which does not show the dynamic compression option (?).

The only version I have found with the DC option is this:
http://storeandserve.com/download/62...1_1_1.zip.html

It is a specific "test version" from page 4 of the hydrogenaudio thread.

Apr 16, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #42 of 68
Thanks for those settings guys.

I had to reduce the amplification setting to tame the background hiss a little, so I'm running at about 60-70% amplification in Reference Room mode.

The channelmixer definitely livens things up more that the "stereo to 4 channels" plugin ,and the fact that its configurable realtime is excellent.

Thanks for sharing
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #44 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those settings didn't suit me on my 595's so I guess it depends on your headphones and personal preferences what sounds best.

runs well with me and my hd595

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #45 of 68
Yea, it's fine with my 595's too but using my settings and not theirs. My setting is just 6 channel surround with no other adjustments. I found turning on the bass extension just made it sound a bit muddy. Each to their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back