Best Cover Songs
Apr 8, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #46 of 65
Johnny Cash covering "In my life" by the beatles.I think its the lyrics and the way he sang it as an old man.Not nessecarily a great cover but a very fitting song for him to have sang.

Apr 8, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #47 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by tattoou2
I'll have to listen to the Charlotte Church version then.

I'm a fan of Eva Cassidy. It's too sad she passed away from cancer way too early in life.

Yeah, also check out Katie Melua's "Faraway Voice" a tribute to Eva Cassidy.

Apr 9, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #48 of 65
Johnny Winter does a pretty hot version of Highway 61 Revisited on Second Winter and on Captured Live. Don Cherry (Old and New Dreams) does IMHO the definitive version of the Ornette Coleman tune "Lonely woman"

Apr 9, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #49 of 65
Nirvana's cover of david bowie's "man who sold the world" on MTV unplugged. (or any of the other cover songs they play at that concert
580smile.gif
)

Johnny Cash's cover of Beck's "Rowboat" on Unchained.

Apr 9, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #50 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Csericks
Johnny Winter does a pretty hot version of Highway 61 Revisited on Second Winter and on Captured Live. Don Cherry (Old and New Dreams) does IMHO the definitive version of the Ornette Coleman tune "Lonely woman"

Hahahaha, this is about the third time we've done this thread (there are also "worst cover" threads in the archives).
Last time I voted for the Hendrix "Watchtower", but here I'll mention Johnny Winter's "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl"
k1000smile.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #52 of 65
Paul Simon's "America", covered by Yes (released as a single in about 1971 or thereabouts). Nice.

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #54 of 65
Youth Group - Forever Young
emosmile2gi.gif

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah (mentioned earlier, though)
Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
Johnny Cash - Hurt

Also Led Zeppelin has made good "cover songs" of several obscure blues songs.

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #57 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim
Bruce Springsteen - Blinded by the Light. Manfred Mann's version is the one that got all of the air time.

That cover was Bruce's only #1 hit!

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #58 of 65
I love well done covers - it's amazing the extra layers they can expose in a song.

I'll join the chorus for the Johnny Cash versions of "Hurt" and "Mercy Seat"

A few favorites that I don't think have been mentioned in this thread:

Love Tractor's take on the Gap Band's, "Party Train"

The Sunday's cover of the Stone's "Wild Horses"

And finally,

Sid Vicious singing, "My Way"

Apr 11, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #59 of 65
Anything Hendrix did by Dylan
biggrin.gif

Also, Hendrix's "Hey Joe".
I always enjoyed Sting's version of "Little Wing" on the Nothing like the Sun album.
Santana's Oye Como Va.
Rod Stewart's take on "Ruby Tuesday" originally by Rolling Stones is also very nice.
From the 80's, Pseudo Echo's version of "Funky town", MC Hammer's suprisingly good version of "Have you seen her" and Bananarama's version of "Venus".

Apr 11, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #60 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillC
The Sunday's cover of the Stone's "Wild Horses"

Oh yes, I haven't heard that in years. Thanks for jogging my memory. That's a great cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back