Best Cover Songs
Apr 6, 2006 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

guynamedjohn

100+ Head-Fier
I love covers. Sometimes I enjoy them more than the original. Post your favorites here.

I'll get us started:

Depeche Mode "Never Let Me Down Again" - Smashing Pumpkins
The Rolling Stones "Satisfaction" - Cat Power
Guns N' Roses "Sweet Child O' Mine" - Luna <<<< Super Excellent

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 65
i think every cover song Johnny Cash did on "American lll" is better than the original, in the possible exception of "I see A Darkness". bonnie Prince Billy's original version is pretty darn good. so is johhny's though. its a tossup on that one.

but the other covers are incredible, and IMO, much better than the originals.

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
i think every cover song Johnny Cash did on "American lll" is better than the original, in the possible exception of "I see A Darkness". bonnie Prince Billy's original version is pretty darn good. so is johhny's though. its a tossup on that one.

but the other covers are incredible, and IMO, much better than the originals.

Totally Agree - Actually, American IV even more so.

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 65
thought of another one.

All the covers on Espers' album "Weed Tree" just blow my mind. They cover "Blue Mountain" by Michael Hurley. Im not sure which version I like better. But the amazing thing about Espers' version is how much they changed the song into their own thing. They used it as a framework, a sort of rough draft, but then applied their sound to the basic structure and lyrics. Its incredible when someone pulls this off. in a lot of ways, i like this way of covering a song better than just trying to play it the same as the original artist. because you cant play it their way better than them. you might be able to play it your way better though.

Cat Power's Satisfaction cover mentioned above is a good example of this. she even took out the entire chorus.

But there are so many beatles covers that are terrible....

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #5 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by guynamedjohn
Totally Agree - Actually, American IV even more so.

yeah, johnny cash is the sht. I always have a hard time calling hiim Johnny. when you think of who he is, and you think of people who like being called johnny they dont really match up. Johnny makes me think of a feisty little brat from new york. and J cash is so hard and real...
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #6 of 65
Hendrix's version of Dylan's All Along the Watchtower
GnR version of Dylan's Knockin on Heaven's door

Apr 6, 2006 at 8:13 AM Post #7 of 65
David Bowie's version of Bruce Springsteen's "It's Hard to be a Saint in the City"

Jeff Buckley's version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah"

Rufus Wainwright's version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah"

R.E.M.'s version of Leonard Cohen's "First We Take Manhattan"

Elvis Presley's version of Bob Dylan's "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright"

Apr 6, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #8 of 65
Eva Cassidy's version of Over The Rainbow. She completely changed that song for me, and I tend to think of her version now as the definitive.

Apr 6, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #9 of 65
Lately I've come to dislike covers, especially this recent overwhelming cheap techno-cover wave that ruins us all.
But well-made covers are acceptable, Johnny Cash's "Hurt" comes to mind, Eva Cassidy's "Fields of Gold", and Tool's "No Quarter".

Apr 6, 2006 at 9:36 AM Post #10 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
Eva Cassidy's version of Over The Rainbow. She completely changed that song for me, and I tend to think of her version now as the definitive.

Check out the Israel Kamakawiwo'ole version of "Over the Rainbow." My favorite by far.

Diana Krall's version of Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You" is my favorite.

Mandy Moore's version of "The Whole of the Moon" is pretty good.

Katie Melua's versions of "Learing the Blues", "Blues in the Night", and "My Aphrodisiac is You" are awesome!
biggrin.gif
I also like her version of "Just Like Heaven", although the original is better.

Marilyn Manson's versions of "Sweet Dreams (are Made of This)", "Tainted Love", and "Personal Jesus" are some of my favorite covers as well.

The Gob version of "Paint it Black" was also really good.

I love the Norah Jones version of "The Nearness of You".

and finally...

Patricia Barber does a fantastic version of "You Don't Know Me".

Apr 6, 2006 at 9:44 AM Post #11 of 65
Phish has countless live covers that are incredible, often full albums too. They've done The Beatles White Album and DSOTM to name a few and tons of great songs, if you're into the whole live scene. I was there for the DSOTM concert and also when they did "a day in the life" by The Beatles... Incredible...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Slade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back