Best cover of a Joy Division song you have ever heard?
May 26, 2009 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

milkweg

Banned
For me it is Kendra Smith doing Heart and Soul. She used to be bass player for Dream Syndicate then played with a band called Opal and then went solo and did a couple of EPs and one studio album and then became a hermit. Just bought her album called Five Ways of Disappearing from iTunes and it is very good. Heart and Soul is not on that album though.

YouTube - Kendra Smith - Heart and Soul (Joy Division)

May 27, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 19
Ceremony was originally recorded by Joy Division but they didn't do an 'official' one. The best you can find is a poorly recorded version of a concert in Still, and a decently recorded practice take on the 3rd CD of the Heart and Soul Box Set. I wish they had recorded it in album quality, it's perhaps my favorite Joy Division song after Exercise One.

I enjoyed Moby's take of New Dawn Fades. I haven't heard Radiohead's take of Ceremony, I'll listen to that.

May 27, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aslan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ceremony was originally recorded by Joy Division but they didn't do an 'official' one. The best you can find is a poorly recorded version of a concert in Still, and a decently recorded practice take on the 3rd CD of the Heart and Soul Box Set. I wish they had recorded it in album quality, it's perhaps my favorite Joy Division song after Exercise One.

I enjoyed Moby's take of New Dawn Fades. I haven't heard Radiohead's take of Ceremony, I'll listen to that.

Is there an album compilation of JD covers?

May 27, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aslan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I enjoyed Moby's take of New Dawn Fades. ...

Ditto.

May 27, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there an album compilation of JD covers?

I have this one and it is mostly good. Has the Kendra Smith cover of Heart and Soul on it.

Amazon.com: A Means to an End: The Music of Joy Division: Various Artists: Music

What do you think of Swans doing Love Will Tear Us Apart? I like it but think a different Joy Division song would have suited them better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiQsv3Q5P8Y

Another version Swans did and is better than the above one IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F062h...eature=related

May 27, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #13 of 19
I remember seeing NIN do a cover of Dead Souls back at Reading in '07. Found a video of it on Youtube, but it was much better being there (although by that point I hadn't showered for 4 days...).
smily_headphones1.gif

YouTube - Dead Souls (Joy Division Cover)

May 27, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ugh, JD deserves better website design than both those sites. The yellow one made my eyes bleed.

Agreed. Too bad it's probably the most thorough JD website out there.

The Galaxie 500 version of Ceremony is nice too. The only cover I've heard that I really disliked was The Killers version of Shadowplay.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back